Confirmed AoE3:DE information

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Re: Confirmed AoE3:DE information

Post by harcha »

Considering that 1080ti was somewhere between 2070 and 2080 (closer to 2080), I would expect it to be near 3060/3060ti levels. Maybe buying a used 1080ti will no longer be that great of an option after these mid rangers launch.

Also I think the video card minimum requirement should be rewritten as "2GB VRAM" because I think that is what they were trying to get at with this one:
Graphics: GeForce GT 430, Radeon HD 5570, or Intel HD 4400 with an average Passmark G3D Mark of 570 or better
Additional Notes: 2GB VRAM
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

aaryngend wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:1060 isn't a low end card it's a mid range card.
Yes it is. 1070 is the midrange card, while the 1080 and 1080 Ti are the high-end cards. 1050 and 1050 Ti are the true entry-level cards, while the 1060 is inbetween.

No it is not GT 1030 is the entry level card while 1050 to 1060 are mid range. GTX 1070 to 1080 are high end while 1080 ti and above are enthusiast level.
princeofcarthage wrote:Anyways the point is that 1060 isn't truly a new card. Just reworked 980 made cheaper to accommodate new card at higher price range.
What? New generations make everything cheaper across the board. It doesn't matter if a card is newer or older, what matters is the performance level.
High-end from 5+ years ago is Entry-level today.

They don't 1080 still retails for around the same price (whatever stock is remaining in market that is) so does 2000 series which of course is now again discontinued.
princeofcarthage wrote:What I mean is that ideally "new" cards should be better than older ones while older one gets cheaper which isn't happening.
Sorry but you seem to have no idea what you are talking about ;) New cards are better and older series do get cheaper. So what is your problem?

Older series often get discontinued and receive often no support in terms of upgrades. So you have to buy newer version despite your older graphics card being good enough. So either you buy a cheap low end newer graphic card which basically gives you same performance as your older or you shell out more money in nvidia's pocket.
princeofcarthage wrote:In fact nvidia released "worse" cards which are comparable to 750 series (?) to accommodate lower end cards without offering anything new unlike 16 series which had RTX despite being worse than 1000 series
No newer generation has been worse than the previous one :lol:
Maybe do your homework again. The only bad generations were the GeForce 5 FX series from 2003 or the Fermi series (some call it Thermi because of the high TDP and heat).

GT 1030 has similar performance to 750 meaning your older graphic card theoretically can play every game 1030 will but it won't have requisite drivers. Also this theoretically proves that post GTX 1000 series Nvidia has ran into significant manufacturing troubles.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

So far nvidia has done an excellent job with drivers, you can't really expect them to fully support products much older than 5 years as that is unprecedented in the industry. I wouldn't expect you to have any driver problems with a 750.

The gradual price drop of graphics cards does exist, altho not nearly as much as it exists in smartphones. You can blame this on a graphics card generation lasting 2+ years, and graphics cards always remaining in demand because they are not just used by consumers, but also the industry.

What you define as entry level depends on the context. I suppose in pc-mr subreddit anything below xx70 is entry level. Personally I think anything below 100usd is entry and above 300usd is high end.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
European Union aaryngend
Howdah
Clan: N3O

Post by aaryngend »

harcha wrote:So far nvidia has done an excellent job with drivers, you can't really expect them to fully support products much older than 5 years as that is unprecedented in the industry. I wouldn't expect you to have any driver problems with a 750.

The gradual price drop of graphics cards does exist, altho not nearly as much as it exists in smartphones. You can blame this on a graphics card generation lasting 2+ years, and graphics cards always remaining in demand because they are not just used by consumers, but also the industry.

What you define as entry level depends on the context. I suppose in pc-mr subreddit anything below xx70 is entry level. Personally I think anything below 100usd is entry and above 300usd is high end.
I agree with every single point, I just want to add one more thing that explains why GPU prices didn't go down as much as princeofcarthage hoped they would: AMD!

AMD fucked up in the GPU market, their top models cannot compete with nvidia at all, so nvidia can demand astronomical prices for their higher end stuff. No competition, so they make the prices. This lead to the fact that GPU prices exploded (coupled with the mining boom, but that was only a short time) and gamers have much more competition now when it comes to GPUs: like Harcha said, many GPUs are used for scientific computing, machine learning, autonomy, etc.
So nowadays other industries demand GPUs too. They aren't just toys used for rendering or gaming anymore.
princeofcarthage wrote:They don't 1080 still retails for around the same price (whatever stock is remaining in market that is) so does 2000 series which of course is now again discontinued.
That's because the prices of the 2000 generation of nvidia were so ridicilously high, they didn't need to lower the price of the 1080 by much. The 1000 series prices stayed roughtly the same. Now with the 3000 series, it's gonna be different, low- to midend is gonna be substantially cheaper. Performance equal to the GTX 1080 will be quite cheap to get in the coming months :P
princeofcarthage wrote:Older series often get discontinued and receive often no support in terms of upgrades
Define "older". Pascal is still supported quite well and will be in the near future.
princeofcarthage wrote:So you have to buy newer version despite your older graphics card being good enough. So either you buy a cheap low end newer graphic card which basically gives you same performance as your older or you shell out more money in nvidia's pocket.
Wrong again. You don't upgrade your GPU if the newer GPU just gives you +20% or even no performance gain at all. If you are content with the performance level of your GPU, you just keep using it.
You upgrade when it's truly worth it.
Trust me, before nvidia stops programming drivers for your gpu model chances are that in the meantime it will be so weak that you have to replace it anyway.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Please keep this thread on the topic of racism, PCness and toxicity
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Hungary Dsy
Lancer

Post by Dsy »

princeofcarthage wrote:
Dsy wrote:What is this wierd system requirement?
Gt 430 or gtx 980.

Or will it run like flight sim 2020? :D
Those are older graphic cards. GT 430 was launched in 2010 and GTX 980 in 2014, 980 is still a decent graphic card for 1080P gaming. 980 in fact in real world is probably better than 1060. This also just shows how small the improvements in speeds are despite what the marketing team says.
My point is that the gap between 430 and 980 is huge. Its not even comperable.
So it question this whole requirements statement. Either the recommanded or the minimum must be false.
Great Britain RuinousEdge
Musketeer
ESO: Ruinous_Edge

Post by RuinousEdge »

Kaiserklein wrote:Please keep this thread on the topic of racism, PCness and toxicity
!vikings, glory to Valhalla and GUA!!!!
France chronique
Advanced Player
ESO: poissondu44

Post by chronique »

What does "PC" mean?
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

chronique wrote:What does "PC" mean?
Personal computer
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: lamergamer
Clan: c0ns

Post by Sargsyan »

chronique wrote:What does "PC" mean?
politically correct
krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge Challenger_Marco
Retired Contributor

Dsy wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:
Dsy wrote:What is this wierd system requirement?
Gt 430 or gtx 980.

Or will it run like flight sim 2020? :D
Those are older graphic cards. GT 430 was launched in 2010 and GTX 980 in 2014, 980 is still a decent graphic card for 1080P gaming. 980 in fact in real world is probably better than 1060. This also just shows how small the improvements in speeds are despite what the marketing team says.
My point is that the gap between 430 and 980 is huge. Its not even comperable.
So it question this whole requirements statement. Either the recommanded or the minimum must be false.
Both are accurate, on 430 you can play in bare minimum settings while to truly enjoy 4k and ultra graphics you need 980
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

@princeofcarthage i think you are gonna play the game only with a specific kind of 430 - a 2GB variant, which i would expect to be quite rare
Retired Contributor

aaryngend wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:They don't 1080 still retails for around the same price (whatever stock is remaining in market that is) so does 2000 series which of course is now again discontinued.
That's because the prices of the 2000 generation of nvidia were so ridicilously high, they didn't need to lower the price of the 1080 by much. The 1000 series prices stayed roughtly the same. Now with the 3000 series, it's gonna be different, low- to midend is gonna be substantially cheaper. Performance equal to the GTX 1080 will be quite cheap to get in the coming months :P

Only if you buy a new card cuz your older card won't be supported
princeofcarthage wrote:Older series often get discontinued and receive often no support in terms of upgrades
Define "older". Pascal is still supported quite well and will be in the near future.

980 (ti), 970 are still powerful and comparable up to 1070. However many games show minimum requirement as 1050 or 1060 meaning NVidia won't release drivers for 980(ti) and lower cards despite those being equally powerful, meaning you are forced to buy a new card. It artificially locks you in roughly 3 generation cycle (which is what NVidia currently does) despite card being capable for playing decent games for 5 years.
European Union aaryngend
Howdah

Post by aaryngend »

princeofcarthage wrote:Only if you buy a new card cuz your older card won't be supported
Dude that's so.. I don't even know where to begin tbh :o
You are spreading quite the misinformation here tbh.
princeofcarthage wrote:980 (ti), 970 are still powerful and comparable up to 1070. However many games show minimum requirement as 1050 or 1060 meaning NVidia won't release drivers for 980(ti) and lower cards despite those being equally powerful, meaning you are forced to buy a new card. It artificially locks you in roughly 3 generation cycle (which is what NVidia currently does) despite card being capable for playing decent games for 5 years.
Truth be told now: what are you smoking? Please give me some of it :mrgreen:
The current GPU drivers from Nvidia for Windows 10 support GPUs as old as the GeForce 600 Series!!
GeForce 600! You do realize these cards are from 2012?? Supported by current mainline Win10x64 drivers, not legacy or anything else.
Go to the Nvidia website, try to download the driver and then click on "supported". You will see every GPU that is supported by the selected driver.

Their support policy is decent and fair, only the latest generation will receive all the new features and optimizations, the generation before that gets the same, albeit a bit less and the other older ones are just supported on a minimum yet sufficient level and only will receive a very basic amount of fixes.
Newer models will always get more fixes by future upcoming driver releases but that doesn't mean your older cards are neglected.. far from it.

Feel free to use your 1080 for years to come ;)
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

Yeah that bs, old graphics cards are fine. I used a radeon 5770 from 2010 to 2018, never once a new game had problems with compatibility to my 2009 card. (only performance problems ocf), and if im not mistaken, aoe3de lists a radeon 5570 as the minimum, so even older then that!
Hungary Dsy
Lancer

Post by Dsy »

Nvida probably will stop support most of their older cards soon...
Ive seen videos newer games refuse to run correctly on Kepler based gpus (gtx 600 and 700 series). For example Horizon Zero Dawn has wierd screen issues playing with those cards.
AMD older card support might be better though (idk)...
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

Dsy wrote:Nvida probably will stop support most of their older cards soon...
Ive seen videos newer games refuse to run correctly on Kepler based gpus (gtx 600 and 700 series). For example Horizon Zero Dawn has wierd screen issues playing with those cards.
AMD older card support might be better though (idk)...
Ending support at 5-10 year mark is not surprising, it is expected. I do think that they will keep the same 7-8 year product life for current old cards (as for 400/500 series cards, which only have legacy drivers and security updates now). No reason to think that they gonna start doing anti-consumer stuffs now.

Also I don't see why AMD would be better than NVidia in this regard. Either way performance issues on old cards in new games is not exactly weird.
European Union aaryngend
Howdah

Post by aaryngend »

An interview with the tribal consultant about the native civs changes in aoe3:DE:

https://www.ageofempires.com/news/inter ... ony-brave/
Musketeer

Post by RuinousEdge »

aaryngend wrote:An interview with the tribal consultant about the native civs changes in aoe3:DE:

Spain yoqpasa
Lancer
ESO: yoqpasa

Post by yoqpasa »

aaryngend wrote:An interview with the tribal consultant about the native civs changes in aoe3:DE:

''we didnā€™t know that the names Sioux and Iroquois were given to them by European settlers; so we have changed those civ names in the DE to their Indigenous namesā€”Lakota (Sioux) and Haudenosaunee (Iroquois)'' .
''the Fire Pit was pretty offensiveā€¦for a number of reasons. It hit me as soon as I saw it, and immediately brought to my mind these old stereotypes of Natives dancing around the fire like wild savages''.
:uglylol:

SJW ruining a 15 year old game which he probably never played. They even removed nature friendship ability.

European Union aaryngend
Howdah

Post by aaryngend »

RuinousEdge wrote:Image
So? This is new information, so it makes sense to discuss it further. The curse of the "running around in circles" is broken.
As long as people keep civil and follow the rules, this will be gucchi :flowers:

I see that breeze already started a new topic on it lol.
Musketeer

Post by RuinousEdge »

aaryngend wrote:
RuinousEdge wrote:Image
So? This is new information, so it makes sense to discuss it further. The curse of the "running around in circles" is broken.
As long as people keep civil and follow the rules, this will be gucchi :flowers:

I see that breeze already started a new topic on it lol.
Hence my post :lol: :lol:
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: ķŒ€ ķ•˜ģš°ģŠ¤

Post by n0el »

Letā€™s stay focused on the game and not made up SJW stuff which has no purpose to be discussed
mad cuz bad
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

I hope the replacement for nature friendship is good for gameplay. Just giving them a crackshot equivalent is boring.
Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Post by Imperial Noob »

I never liked the converted guardians, with their formation-less movement, weird stat numbers, and ranging from garbage to broken. I'm happy they are gone.