Confirmed AoE3:DE information

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Re: Confirmed AoE3:DE information

Post by Imperial Noob »

aaryngend wrote:Anyone noticed that Colonial age got renamed?? :ohmy: Handelszeitalter, so basically the trading age.
I guess being named Colonial age was too much of a reference of the colonies that the europeans installed in foreign continents..
I always thought that "colonial age" does not really apply to the expansion civs anyway...
Germany blasdg
Dragoon

Post by blasdg »

Graphics suck a bit, too much cartoon.
Sounds feel very different, and they feel worse.
Some things cant really be read properly because the contrast between the WHITE 1 on top of a coloured Incan flag is horse shit.
Villagers dont know what to do when they cut a tree, prepare for some idle vills.

Other than that I massively enjoyed the beta.
Germany blackout
Dragoon

Post by blackout »

aaryngend wrote:Did anyone notice that the 'Colonial Age' got renamed?? :ohmy: Handelszeitalter, so basically the trading age.
The german name in the original aoe3 was Kolonialzeitalter.
I guess being named Colonial age was too much of a reference of the colonies that the europeans installed in foreign continents..
Well that really doesnt matter does it.

Regarding the age up politicians i dont think there will be different cost options from what i can say by the vids ive watched so far
No Flag Astaroth
Howdah

Post by Astaroth »

Why do both new civs have a house bonus, especially since we already have two old civs with house bonuses?
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

blasdg wrote:Graphics suck a bit, too much cartoon.
Sounds feel very different, and they feel worse.
Some things cant really be read properly because the contrast between the WHITE 1 on top of a coloured Incan flag is horse shit.
Villagers dont know what to do when they cut a tree, prepare for some idle vills.

Other than that I massively enjoyed the beta.
what does that last point mean
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
European Union aaryngend
Howdah
Clan: N3O

Post by aaryngend »

blackout wrote:Regarding the age up politicians i dont think there will be different cost options from what i can say by the vids ive watched so far
Depends, 95% of the costs to age-up seem to be the same, but there is one politician to the 2nd age which costs 900 Food instead of 800. Who knows how different the Revolution age-ups are gonna be ?
Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Post by Imperial Noob »

aaryngend wrote:
blackout wrote:Regarding the age up politicians i dont think there will be different cost options from what i can say by the vids ive watched so far
Depends, 95% of the costs to age-up seem to be the same, but there is one politician to the 2nd age which costs 900 Food instead of 800. Who knows how different the Revolution age-ups are gonna be ?
Eywa has heard you!
Age of Empires III_ Definitive Edition Vorstellung Schweden _ Tutorial Guide #1 [Deutsch_Preview] 22-28 screenshot.png
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

aaryngend wrote:Did anyone notice that the 'Colonial Age' got renamed?? :ohmy: Handelszeitalter, so basically the trading age.
The german name in the original aoe3 was Kolonialzeitalter.
they should have implemented the idea that I proposed a long time ago:

age 2 should be named fortress age, since building forts was the main form of European expansion in Asia and the Americas in the 15th-16th centuries. Most early settlements were forts, not colonial towns.

age 3 should be the colonial age, when you had mass populations of settlers coming to colonize the lands held by forts.

As for replacing colonial age with trading age... that seems sort of strange. Isn't that sort of sanitizing history? No one is claiming that colonization was good, but it definitely happened. Also if colonial age is bad for glorifying colonialism, why is imperial age still fine? (or is it, idk)
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Yep another political change, told you.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

gamersh ascend
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

seems more accurate to not be the colonial age, since the would be colonies are fighting over the land
mad cuz bad
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

AOE3 is about a historical period that starts with the Age of Discovery and ends with the last phase of colonial empires. The names of AOE3 maps show clearly this is about the colonisation of America by European settlers (Plymouth - one of the first AOE3 maps made, New England, Carolina -- these were among the first colonies established by the Brits in America). That's how that country was created, by colonisation, and later by merging all those colonies into a federation of states.

Age of Fortress should not have been in the game, because it's about medieval times, so it's about something that didn't happen in America, only in Europe. There's no medieval fortress in America, South America or China, only in Europe, because the Middle Ages only existed in Europe. But geographic exploration and colonisation by European settlers are the most defining features of that part of history in North America.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Honestly who cares? The names of the ages never really made sense relative to what was going on and still don't after the changes. There is no name that can encapsulate everything that can occur in each age. They're merely there because there has to be a name, so things are picked that go along with the ethos of the game overall.
No Flag helln00
Howdah
ESO: helln00

Post by helln00 »

so seeing a swedes game play video it seems they have an age 2 artillery shipment. Lol that is going to be some interesting anti russia plays
Germany Rohbrot
Howdah
ECL Reigning Champs
ESO: Rohbrot

Post by Rohbrot »

Haha, new revolts incoming!
Spain pain train is real
No Flag helln00
Howdah

Post by helln00 »

WOLOLO is back bois , prepare for all the memes and all the combacks hahahha
European Union aaryngend
Howdah
Clan: N3O

Post by aaryngend »

The sound effects when selecting a card or card decks and age up politicans seem like they are straight out of a Mario game..
No Flag helln00
Howdah

Post by helln00 »

helln00 wrote:WOLOLO is back bois , prepare for all the memes and all the combacks hahahha
edit: lol inca can revolt and go full skirm cannons.
Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Post by Imperial Noob »

I wonder if it will be possible to make an "Original AOE3 sound mod"
Howdah

Post by Squamiger »

Dolan wrote: so it's about something that didn't happen in America, only in Europe. There's no medieval fortress in America, South America or China, only in Europe, because the Middle Ages only existed in Europe.
the Portuguese and Spanish in the 16th-17th century would like to have a word with you, about this idea that forts are only medieval and were not built in...

America,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_San_Pedro

Asia,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_San_Juan_(Joara)

or Africa
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Jesus
No Flag helln00
Howdah

Post by helln00 »

welp this is going to piss EP people off more than even the lack of gold gathering for sioux....... the teepees has a gather aura
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Squamiger wrote:
Dolan wrote: so it's about something that didn't happen in America, only in Europe. There's no medieval fortress in America, South America or China, only in Europe, because the Middle Ages only existed in Europe.
the Portuguese and Spanish in the 16th-17th century would like to have a word with you, about this idea that forts are only medieval and were not built in...

America,

Asia,

or Africa
Forts were used in the US during world war II (think pearl harbor) and I'm might still be used today(cba to google it). I'm sure they were used in the rest of the world until at least world war II
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Squamiger wrote:

America,

Asia,

or Africa
Those were built by colonists, who exported Euro architecture to those places. They didn't appear as a result of a medieval age taking place in the Philippines, Africa or North America. The Middle Ages (aka medieval age) only existed in Europe.
Just like the Islamic Golden Age only existed in the Middle east and North Africa, nowhere else.

If you want to take things literally, sure, there were some forts built by Europeans in North America, so you could call the age in which they were built an "age of fortress".
Howdah

Post by Squamiger »

Dolan wrote:
Squamiger wrote:

America,

Asia,

or Africa
Those were built by colonists, who exported Euro architecture to those places. They didn't appear as a result of a medieval age taking place in the Philippines, Africa or North America. The Middle Ages (aka medieval age) only existed in Europe.
Just like the Islamic Golden Age only existed in the Middle east and North Africa, nowhere else.

If you want to take things literally, sure, there were some forts built by Europeans in North America, so you could call the age in which they were built an "age of fortress".
yes my point is that European forts built around the world were the defining feature of early 16th century expansion. The masses of colonial settlers came after, in the 17th-18th-19th centuries.
Denmark voigt1240
Lancer
ESO: voigt

Post by voigt1240 »

But we only get acess to fort wagons in age 3. so i think it would be a little misleading and weird naming age 2 fortress age for that reason. Otherwise it would make good sense.