Aoe3 DE Gameplay Interview

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
Brazil look
Howdah
ESO: LoOk_tOm

Aoe3 DE Gameplay Interview

Post by look »

Kaiser sucks
Garja Noob
grunt the best
Kickass God
BSOP OP
Denmark voigt1240
Lancer
ESO: voigt

Re: Aoe3 DE Gameplay Interview

Post by voigt1240 »

I'm not sure how i feel about the animation of destroyed buildings, not a fan of that shockwave thing.
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

they removed gold mining for TWC civs because it's not historical? neither was Iroquois fighting in Borneo sooooo
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

Squamiger wrote:they removed gold mining for TWC civs because it's not historical?? neither was Iroquois fighting in Borneo sooooo
Or the taj majal being build on the great plains :hmm: i dont hate this change but it will have a big effect on sioux unles they have a default wood gather bonus like india
Brazil look
Howdah
ESO: LoOk_tOm

Post by look »

voigt1240 wrote:I'm not sure how i feel about the animation of destroyed buildings, not a fan of that shockwave thing.
for sure will have the option to active that.
Kaiser sucks
Garja Noob
grunt the best
Kickass God
BSOP OP
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Squamiger wrote:they removed gold mining for TWC civs because it's not historical?? neither was Iroquois fighting in Borneo sooooo
The difference is that the civs themselves are largely historical
Rainbow Land onfiregun17
Skirmisher
ESO: onfiregun17

Post by onfiregun17 »

It also seems strange that the Incan, Aztec, Mayan, etc., are able to mine gold in AOE2, but now for what ever reason in AOE3 it's not okay? Doesn't really seem to make sense.
Howdah

Post by Squamiger »

onfiregun17 wrote:
It also seems strange that the Incan, Aztec, Mayan, etc., are able to mine gold in AOE2, but now for what ever reason in AOE3 it's not okay? Doesn't really seem to make sense.
I'm guessing Aztecs and Inca will still mine gold. Since they mentioned fur trading, it will probably be specific to Iro and Sioux. Also, if they consulted with a Native American advisor, I wonder if they told them that Sioux is sort of a slur word and Lakota is the actual name of the tribe?

Idk. AoE is very much in the realm of alternative, "what-if" history, and it seems strange to say that Iro or Sioux civs wouldn't adapt to mining gold or tin or copper if they suddenly found themselves in charge of a global colonial empire fighting wars in East Asia.
Rainbow Land onfiregun17
Skirmisher
ESO: onfiregun17

Post by onfiregun17 »

I'm guessing Aztecs and Inca will still mine gold. Since they mentioned fur trading, it will probably be specific to Iro and Sioux. Also, if they consulted with a Native American advisor, I wonder if they told them that Sioux is sort of a slur word and Lakota is the actual name of the tribe?

Idk. AoE is very much in the realm of alternative, "what-if" history, and it seems strange to say that Iro or Sioux civs wouldn't adapt to mining gold or tin or copper if they suddenly found themselves in charge of a global colonial empire fighting wars in East Asia.
Yeah I'm trying to reserve judgement on the new mechanic until they release more info, but it does seem super strange that they would try to redo a core mechanic of the game. Although I would agree with changing the name to Lakota as that's more accurate. Hopefully they also fix the inaccurate Dutch flag :uglylol:
Howdah

Post by Squamiger »

maybe it will work like this: if you play Iro or Sioux, you send your vills to a gold mine, and then construct a "fur trading station" there for free, which your villagers will gather from. this will deplete the mine of coin the same way mining would, but while the station is built, the mine is covered and your villagers aren't swinging picks, they're processing fur, or something. if you lose map control and another civ's villagers come to the spot, they can destroy the fur trading station in 1-2 hits, and start mining again normally, based on the amount of coin that was already depleted.

only issue is that this might make it really easy for an enemy to disrupt your coin gathering-- all they would have to do would be to snipe the fur trade station and destroy it and suddenly all your vills are idle
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Yeah so like I said, they're butchering iro and sioux for bullshit historical considerations. What a bunch of clowns
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
No Flag JaguarProwlerKnoob
Musketeer
ESO: JaimePasTaFace

Post by JaguarProwlerKnoob »

gibson wrote:
The difference is that the civs themselves are largely historical
:unsure:
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team
ESO: challenger_marco

Post by Challenger_Marco »

Did I see green arrows?!!!! Wow !! Is it poison arrows which do damage over time?
:nwc:
No Flag JaguarProwlerKnoob
Musketeer
ESO: JaimePasTaFace

Post by JaguarProwlerKnoob »

Challenger_Marco wrote:Did I see green arrows?!!!! Wow !! Is it poison arrows which do damage over time?
THAT would be a GREAT mechanic!
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Everybody crying before we even see the full game lol
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

gibson wrote:Everybody crying before we even see the full game lol
I'm crying because Eaglemut won't show me the full game
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team
ESO: challenger_marco

Post by Challenger_Marco »

JaguarProwlerKnoob wrote:
Challenger_Marco wrote:Did I see green arrows?!!!! Wow !! Is it poison arrows which do damage over time?
THAT would be a GREAT mechanic!
Yeah it would be nice a mechanic,however it can be from a unique tech which gives them more damage like the same idea from aoe2 where you research "chemistry" at university.
:nwc:
Colombia jorgeguerra
Crossbow
ESO: jorgeguerra

Post by jorgeguerra »

Kaiserklein wrote:Yeah so like I said, they're butchering iro and sioux for bullshit historical considerations. What a bunch of clowns
The game has not even been released, for sure there is a vast list of meta changing elements.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Kaiserklein wrote:Yeah so like I said, they're butchering iro and sioux for bullshit historical considerations. What a bunch of clowns
For political reasons honestly, which is even worse.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:
I love the assumption that people who are attempting to make a game where the civs are historically based more historical are doing it for “ political reasons” lmao. Just straight delusional.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

You can't mind gold with Iroq and Sioux? What?

Looks like EP is still going to need to be a thing.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

gibson wrote:
[Armag] diarouga wrote:
I love the assumption that people who are attempting to make a game where the civs are historically based more historical are doing it for “ political reasons” lmao. Just straight delusional.
Why are they only changing the native civs and not the european civs then ?
Denmark voigt1240
Lancer
ESO: voigt

Post by voigt1240 »

All one can do is speculate, when one have no inside information so i don't see how it is delusional
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor
ESO: BrookG

Post by BrookG »

iNcog wrote:You can't mind gold with Iroq and Sioux? What?

Looks like EP is still going to need to be a thing.
My gut feeling says that EP will be less relevant than we predicted. Core mechanics are being changed and new civs introduced, these two facts alter significantly the approach.
Correlation doesn't mean causation.
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:
gibson wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Why are they only changing the native civs and not the european civs then ?
The literally said in the video it was because they were informed that it was because that aspect of the civ was historicaly inaccurate..... If they found out that the french never heard of wood or the dutch were all vegans they would have done the same thing.