What tournament do you want to see first in DE?

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.

What tournament do you want to see first in DE?

Traditional Major
69%
Weekend tournament
21%
EPL
10%

Total votes: 67

Sweden tabben
Lancer
EWTNWC LAN Bronze
ESO: tabben

Re: What tournament do you want to see first in DE?

Post by tabben »

Garja wrote:
robo wrote:
Show hidden quotes
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Are you going to organize any tourney for AOE3 after this? :flowers:
Are you going to compete? :flowers:
Australia robo
ESOC Media Team
ESO: robo_boro
Clan: sQad

Post by robo »

Garja wrote:
robo wrote:
Show hidden quotes
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
:hmm: :huh: :hmm: :huh: :?: :?:
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

tabben wrote:
Garja wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Dont think so
Image Image Image
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

robo wrote:
Garja wrote:
Show hidden quotes
:hmm: :huh: :hmm: :huh: :?: :?:
idk just saw this https://www.ageofempires.com/news/welco ... iKS6Lz8rRc
Image Image Image
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Garja wrote:
tabben wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Dont think so
>:(
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

I've actually been watching a lot of T90 content lately and it's really good. I'm revising my emotional disposition directed at aoe2.
European Union aaryngend
Howdah
Clan: N3O

Post by aaryngend »

gibson wrote:If they put in 15 or so hours a week in a few months they could easily be pr35+.
I doubt anyone of the higher tier aoe2 players would take it that serious.
gibson wrote: They also play video games more+ are better natural gamers than aoe3 players.
Shots fired :!:
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

I would vote, but I do not understand "EPL" - you guys are to technical for me
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Post by Papist »

iwillspankyou wrote:I would vote, but I do not understand "EPL" - you guys are to technical for me
ESOC Players League. It was a sports-themed event where players who signed up for a tournament were "drafted" by a number of different teams, who then competed against each other.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

Papist wrote:
iwillspankyou wrote:I would vote, but I do not understand "EPL" - you guys are to technical for me
ESOC Players League. It was a sports-themed event where players who signed up for a tournament were "drafted" by a number of different teams, who then competed against each other.
thx for sharing - but not ez info to get by :P
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.
United States of America giveuanxiety
Advanced Player
Donator 02
ESO: GiveUAnxiety

Post by giveuanxiety »

I dont think so, theyre automatically gonna be coming in at probably at least like the pr25 level if not higher. If they put in 15 or so hours a week in a few months they could easily be pr35+. They also play video games more+ are better natural gamers than aoe3 players.
That's not true. Viper's first aoe3 game he was like pr 15 game play, of course he would improve very quickly. There was another aoe2 top guy. Tatoh maybe? I forgot who, but they prob played at least 50 games and were pr 20 or so. In general people over rate aoe2 pros and even sc2 pros or just under rate aoe3 players. The aoe2 guys are great people and I look forward to watching them play, but also as someone else pointed out I highly doubt they would try hard the game. They would just play for fun and play here and there.
Lasol wrote: :hmm: just Saw a YouTube video with giveyouanexiaty. He Said check youre stove, if you Want to improve youre aoe3 skills.

WHAT does check your stove means? And how do you do it?
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Well the assumption isnt that they are just automatically pr25, but rather that they've played re in the past or the de beta to get there. Obviously if they never played aoe3 before they wont be pr25.
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

AOE2 mechanically is a lot more intense than aoe3, so honestly if they put time in they'd probably be pretty high up there relatively quickly.

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
European Union aaryngend
Howdah

Post by aaryngend »

giveuanxiety wrote:That's not true. Viper's first aoe3 game he was like pr 15 game play, of course he would improve very quickly. There was another aoe2 top guy. Tatoh maybe? I forgot who, but they prob played at least 50 games and were pr 20 or so. In general people over rate aoe2 pros and even sc2 pros or just under rate aoe3 players. The aoe2 guys are great people and I look forward to watching them play, but also as someone else pointed out I highly doubt they would try hard the game. They would just play for fun and play here and there.
Viper played without any guidance or plan. Had he watched some replays or VODs, read up some strategy guides or BOs and general game info, he would improve 10x as fast compared to when he just does the trial&error approach without taking a thorough look at the game.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

aaryngend wrote:
giveuanxiety wrote:That's not true. Viper's first aoe3 game he was like pr 15 game play, of course he would improve very quickly. There was another aoe2 top guy. Tatoh maybe? I forgot who, but they prob played at least 50 games and were pr 20 or so. In general people over rate aoe2 pros and even sc2 pros or just under rate aoe3 players. The aoe2 guys are great people and I look forward to watching them play, but also as someone else pointed out I highly doubt they would try hard the game. They would just play for fun and play here and there.
Viper played without any guidance or plan. Had he watched some replays or VODs, read up some strategy guides or BOs and general game info, he would improve 10x as fast compared to when he just does the trial&error approach without taking a thorough look at the game.
Obviously, but it still takes a lot of time to become a top player. TheMista got stuck at the colonel level for example.
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

maybe the biggest example of crossover success was when Mookie21 / clemamollette aka the Overwatch pro Lilbow broke onto the scene last year and reached brigadier with 2 different accounts in Top 10 Elo

seems he's got some interest in DE too :biggrin:
European Union aaryngend
Howdah

Post by aaryngend »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:
aaryngend wrote:Viper played without any guidance or plan. Had he watched some replays or VODs, read up some strategy guides or BOs and general game info, he would improve 10x as fast compared to when he just does the trial&error approach without taking a thorough look at the game.
Obviously, but it still takes a lot of time to become a top player. TheMista got stuck at the colonel level for example.
That was the initial argument (how long for them to become a top player). Too long for most aoe2 pros to stick around definitely. No one can get to top player status in a matter of weeks in any kind of intricate game.
My post was referring to the second argument, which was that even after 50 games they would only be pr 20... which I estimate to be far too low. They'd definitely be more skilled than that.
No matter how skilled you are, deliberate and smart practice as a complete aoe3 beginner makes a huge difference to just randomly spamming games with no idea or guideline.

I think if this ESOC Community here can foster some sort of friendship with the aoe2 community, we would maybe have some show matches here and there between the two games. Exposure is never a bad thing :ship:

Let's not be like StarCraft 2 and Brood War where fans of both camps keep fighting and griefing each other.
Cometk wrote:maybe the biggest example of crossover success was when Mookie21 / clemamollette aka the Overwatch pro Lilbow broke onto the scene last year and reached brigadier with 2 different accounts in Top 10 Elo

Lilbow played aoe3???
Well, you should know that Lilbow is actually originally a SC2 player, not OW. He switched to that later in his career when he retired from SC2:P
Someone with prior RTS experience should find it quite easy to pick up most RTS games. Good example.
Advanced Player
Donator 02

Post by giveuanxiety »

There are multiple examples you can find, and they vary. Like I said a lot of its depends if someone try hards the game or plays for fun. Some random examples I can throw out.

Me vs tatoh in empires apart:
He had prob invested more time into the game then me by a bit, I was very new then but had a really close game vs him. A lot of the AOEO guys that played that game were a little better than theviper and tatoh, but the aoeo guys invested more time into it.

Zerton one of top AOEO guys. I was usually always about the same level as him in AOEO. He is sc2 grandmaster after not really playing the game for long. Zerton was also the last player to start playing Warparty, but he won that Warparty tournament beating people like beasty who plays sc2 for a living and is gm.

https://www.twitch.tv/beastyqt

Recon, aoe3 brig from way back in the day. Also aoeo/aom player. He started playing aoe2DE like 3 months ago, he is already ranked in the top 70 players in aoe2.
Lasol wrote: :hmm: just Saw a YouTube video with giveyouanexiaty. He Said check youre stove, if you Want to improve youre aoe3 skills.

Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

Well the skills just transfer very easily.

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

I'm pretty sure a top aoe2 player in 50 aoe3 games would get above current pr30 here. in any rts there is a huge skill transfer.
To get to the very top, would obviously take time, but to be competitive would be really fast.
Advanced Player
Donator 02

Post by giveuanxiety »

Ya I think they can if they study game instead of just playing it, but you guys dont remember that aoe2 player who use to stream aoe3 for a little bit. He was at like pr 25 or so.

United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

giveuanxiety wrote:Ya I think they can if they study game instead of just playing it, but you guys dont remember that aoe2 player who use to stream aoe3 for a little bit. He was at like pr 25 or so.
it's interesting that pr 25 is the level where you can be a pr 25 for very different reasons. if this guy was an aoe2 pro, he was probably pr 25 because he had amazing mechanics and micro and apm but a pretty basic or shallow understanding of the aoe3 civs and the build orders. whereas i am someone who is pr 25 who has played for years and I feel like understand most civs decently, and have a pretty good build order knowledge for a few of them, but my mechanics and micro and apm just sucks to shit
European Union aaryngend
Howdah

Post by aaryngend »

Squamiger wrote:it's interesting that pr 25 is the level where you can be a pr 25 for very different reasons. if this guy was an aoe2 pro, he was probably pr 25 because he had amazing mechanics and micro and apm but a pretty basic or shallow understanding of the aoe3 civs and the build orders. whereas i am someone who has played for years and I feel like understand most civs decently, and have a pretty good build order knowledge for a few of them, but my mechanics and micro and apm just sucks to shit
Right, and if they had your knowledge of the game from the get-go they would be a couple of PRs higher, coupled with their general RTS sense and micro skills. The lower people are in skill, the higher they differentiate from each other. As you said, two people can be PR25 or even 15 for completely different reasons. A lot of players make up for their weaknesses in one area with superb skills on another.

Another point would be this: Should the first tournaments be goofy, fun sort of tourneys or have a competitive, pure one from the start? I think starting things off goofy would be preferable. Once the first bugs are fixed and the meta settles a little bit, competitive tourneys can follow.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Cometk wrote:maybe the biggest example of crossover success was when Mookie21 / clemamollette aka the Overwatch pro Lilbow broke onto the scene last year and reached brigadier with 2 different accounts in Top 10 Elo

Thats a little bit different cause Overwatch is a huge game relative to either aoe games. Anyone who's pro in a game that big is going to be a phenomenal natural gamer and have an understanding on how to improve in video games far surpassing people who currently play the game
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

mookie was one of the most refreshing players in recent memory. I still remember losing to some random major in qs who only made crossbows and pikes as germany and getting flamed after I lost.