Elifant in the room: the role and future of ESOC Patch on DE

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
Switzerland bobabu
Howdah

Re: Elifant in the room: the role and future of ESOC Patch on DE

Post by bobabu »

Honestly, The ESOC patch is dead anyways. It's mostly used for tournaments. It's stupid to use a patch for tourneys that most people don't even play. For the sake of not splitting the communities, we should stick to the definitive edition. Even when the balance was terrible, the best people emerged, and games were fascinating to watch. Now, game knowledge matters more; some years ago, it was mechanics.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

aoe3 without moesbar omg

aoe3 literally saved by its god creator, microsoft
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

bobabu wrote:Honestly, The ESOC patch is dead anyways. It's mostly used for tournaments. It's stupid to use a patch for tourneys that most people don't even play. For the sake of not splitting the communities, we should stick to the definitive edition. Even when the balance was terrible, the best people emerged, and games were fascinating to watch. Now, game knowledge matters more; some years ago, it was mechanics.
Esoc patch isnt dead at all, all games above captain are in the patch, and lots of lt lvl players also play it. Couldn't be a bigger sucess imo. You just cant expect a conscript to search for unofficial patches. most people will only lauch the game via steam and play whatever room they find. I bet most nilla players today are owners of age3 complete collection on steam that opens nilla by default and dont even realise that.

Thats one reason why DE will be a good thing, the whole community reunited again in a oficial patch is awesome.
Switzerland bobabu
Howdah

Post by bobabu »

iNcog wrote:aoe3 without moesbar omg

aoe3 saved by its god creator, microsoft
Yes, Moesbar made re unplayable. And was the main reason for esoc patch. However, that doesn't change the fact that it was better without the patch when there was no moesbar around. Back in the days, you could merely quick search and easily find a game. Today quick search is dead.
Switzerland bobabu
Howdah

Post by bobabu »

lemmings121 wrote:
bobabu wrote:Honestly, The ESOC patch is dead anyways. It's mostly used for tournaments. It's stupid to use a patch for tourneys that most people don't even play. For the sake of not splitting the communities, we should stick to the definitive edition. Even when the balance was terrible, the best people emerged, and games were fascinating to watch. Now, game knowledge matters more; some years ago, it was mechanics.
Esoc patch isnt dead at all, all games above captain are in the patch, and lots of lt lvl players also play it. Couldn't be a bigger sucess imo. You just cant expect a conscript to search for unofficial patches. most people will only lauch the game via steam and play whatever room they find. I bet most nilla players today are owners of age3 complete collection on steam that opens nilla by default and dont even realise that.

Thats one reason why DE will be a good thing, the whole community reunited again in a oficial patch is awesome.
There are still more captain games on re than ep. So you are saying the people above captain are a significant player base.
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Post by Papist »

Ashvin wrote:@chris1089 congrats on the role. Hope you will enjoy it :)
May God have mercy on his soul :uglylol:
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Ye, the ESOC Patch was a massive success. Honestly, I can't think of another game where an unofficial patch had so much success.
European Union aaryngend
Howdah
Clan: N3O

Post by aaryngend »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:Honestly, I can't think of another game where an unofficial patch had so much success.
Really? There are tons tbh.
Best unofficial patch I ever witnessed was the one from Gothic 3. They turned the game from being unplayable to high QoL fix status and even added in new mechanics and made sensible changes, giving players the option for alternate balancing or standard.
In some instances, the devs even let like 30 players fly in and camp for a couple of weeks for the final stress test, without pay, to finish up the last touches. The devs knew they didn't have the means nor the funding to fix the game so they let passionate fans do it.
The community did an outstanding job over the years.

Even looking at the other games of the aoe series: without Forgotten Empires for example, we wouldn't have gotten all the expansions for aoe2:HD, and without the flourishing grassroots competitive aoe2 scene on Voobly, Forgotten Empires wouldn't even be a thing in the first place.

This leads to the high probability that we wouldn't have gotten the Definitive Editions and definitely no aoe4 without all this previous work done by the community.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Bullshit. I believe I read a few weeks ago that there are more than 500 EP games a day right now. The game is better than ever and the claim that game knowledge does not matter anymore is fatuous.
Canada forgrin
Howdah
ESO: Forgrin

Post by forgrin »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:
Bullshit. I believe I read a few weeks ago that there are more than 500 EP games a day right now. The game is better than ever and the claim that game knowledge does not matter anymore is fatuous.
I think what bobabu is saying is that game knowledge about the patch matters more than mechanics did (not taking a side just clarifying).
https://www.twitch.tv/forgin14

"WTF WHERE ARE MY 10 FALCS" - AraGun_OP
Great Britain Black_Duck
Dragoon
ESO: Tom
Clan: DUKC

Post by Black_Duck »

I think what bobabu is saying is that game knowledge about the patch matters more than mechanics because he got slapped up by a garjonian 3-0 (not taking a side just clarifying).
Challenged_Macro wrote: Respect Mussolini guys,if hes triggered there is always a reason.
Mussolini wrote: I hope corona gets you, your family and all your fuckin relatives as you fuckin deserve it for being cocky
Switzerland bobabu
Howdah

Post by bobabu »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:

I said game knowledge matters more these days because of the rules of how tournaments are played but also because there are a lot of changes in the patch. These changes increase the playability of various civs. Getting back into the game, for old pro players, is much harder than it used to be. I believe even pro players who may come back for the definitive edition will have problems if we stick to EP. Games used to much faster paced and mechanics oriented with a lot of mirrors.

I don't know the exact statistics, but I'm sure more people still play re.
Switzerland bobabu
Howdah

Post by bobabu »

Black_Duck wrote:I think what bobabu is saying is that game knowledge about the patch matters more than mechanics because he got slapped up by a garjonian 3-0 (not taking a side just clarifying).
No, I was saying that before I got wrecked. In my case, it would've not made a difference
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

bobabu wrote:
Mr_Bramboy wrote:

I said game knowledge matters more these days because of the rules of how tournaments are played but also because there are a lot of changes in the patch. These changes increase the playability of various civs. Getting back into the game, for old pro players, is much harder than it used to be. I believe even pro players who may come back for the definitive edition will have problems if we stick to EP. Games used to much faster paced and mechanics oriented with a lot of mirrors.

I don't know the exact statistics, but I'm sure more people still play re.
So the game is harder now, meaning the skill ceiling has increased? That's good. No one is interested in seeing two players struggling to find one hunt. That's not a good game.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

bobabu wrote:
lemmings121 wrote:

There are still more captain games on re than ep. So you are saying the people above captain are a significant player base.
This is false. It's relatively close, but EP already has more Captain+ matches than RE.
Since 2020-08-01, there have been 2234 Captain+ rated matches on EP, while there were only 1917 Captain+ matches across all other game patches (RE/WoL..).
momuuu wrote: theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

That's also not discounting that half the cpts on re don't actually play other cpts and just kick you if you're not 2nd Lt

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

That must be the date greatscythe switched to ep
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05

Post by EAGLEMUT »

Riotcoke wrote:That's also not discounting that half the cpts on re don't actually play other cpts and just kick you if you're not 2nd Lt
Actually, I was going by average PR of all players in the match, so this should be discounted.
Switzerland bobabu
Howdah

Post by bobabu »

EAGLEMUT wrote:
Riotcoke wrote:That's also not discounting that half the cpts on re don't actually play other cpts and just kick you if you're not 2nd Lt
Actually, I was going by average PR of all players in the match, so this should be discounted.
Well if you take out all the tourney games. It's about the same.
Switzerland bobabu
Howdah

Post by bobabu »

@Mr_Bramboy what I am saying is that someone like H2O could quickly come back to the game and be successful with similar builds while now with all the changes it would take a long time for him to get back into the game, Too many changes discourage players from picking up the game again.
Argentina Jets
Dragoon
ESO: SsJetstream
Clan: FPL

Post by Jets »

Are you guys participating on the AOE3 DE threads? on the official forum. There are a bunch of posts from rookis/nonplayers, still tho, I'm slowly switching to that forum.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05

Post by EAGLEMUT »

bobabu wrote:
EAGLEMUT wrote:
Those numbers are without tourney games man... it's only rated matches.
Switzerland bobabu
Howdah

Post by bobabu »

EAGLEMUT wrote:
bobabu wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Those numbers are without tourney games man... it's only rated matches.
Well not all of them.
It doesn't matter anyways. For me who doesn't care about balance or rank it is harder to find a game.