New Meta Aoe 3 DE

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
Brazil look
Howdah
ESO: LoOk_tOm

New Meta Aoe 3 DE

Post by look »

I've been thinking about the new meta.
there may be possibilities for significant changes in the meta, and how it would affect the balance of the game..
we could discuss here things that may be real.

I will give a suggestion to start the conversation
age of empires 3 is a game from 5 ages .. in most games it ends around age 3 a change in the value of the up can be affect considerably, I don't know how it would affect and what other changes could come together to reach a good balance
Example
2age: 800f
3age: 1000f + 700gold
4age: 1500f + 1000gold

Gl
Kaiser sucks
Garja Noob
grunt the best
Kickass God
BSOP OP
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Re: New Meta Aoe 3 DE

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

If age 3 is cheaper, then ff/semi ff would be only viable options and it would not be a meta change but a balance disaster.
As for age 4, I think we'd see more FI, which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, but it wouldn't really lead to much longer games. Games would still end with one big fight (especially since age 4 leads to more timings) when a player runs out of food. It's just how the game works.
Uzbekistan Timurid
Skirmisher
ESO: Trained Spahi

Post by Timurid »

I think it would be interesting to make mill plantation transitions cheaper; make walls expensive/ build limit; and fight xp smaller.
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

I think the biggest difference on farm switches on aoe3 vs aoe2/aom is simply this: on age of mythology i can make 1 farm for each villager or citizen or labourer, and transition 1 vill at a time onto farms from wood. In aoe3 its in chunks, quantised into 400 wood increments for 10 vills. If aoe3 had farms for 1 vill, priced at 40 wood per villager i think the farm switch would be both entirely doable and much safer
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Ye but 1 vill farm is meh. Reason why we should have pushed for a mill/plant rework with 5 vills.
Image Image Image
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

I like the vying for map control and the games where both players' vills are in the deciding fight at 25 minutes because every single hunt is gone.
Malaysia Aizamk
Pro Player
ESOC WarChiefs Classic 2017

Post by Aizamk »

When I think about aoe3 DE, I think about fun times I will have convincing all the influx of new players that 100% pikeman is an impossible composition to beat. (aside from exploring whatever new strats the new civs may have to offer)
oranges.
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor

Post by dansil92 »

Perhaps inca will have the ultimate piki
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor

Post by dansil92 »

Garja wrote:Ye but 1 vill farm is meh. Reason why we should have pushed for a mill/plant rework with 5 vills.
I definitely agree it would be bad for 1 vill- 1 farm. The increment is very high though. Perhaps 200w 5v farms would be a decent compromise
No Flag crankifzz
Musketeer

Post by crankifzz »

Aizamk wrote:When I think about aoe3 DE, I think about fun times I will have convincing all the influx of new players that 100% pikeman is an impossible composition to beat. (aside from exploring whatever new strats the new civs may have to offer)
maybe they will make pike throwable
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

dansil92 wrote:
Garja wrote:Ye but 1 vill farm is meh. Reason why we should have pushed for a mill/plant rework with 5 vills.
I definitely agree it would be bad for 1 vill- 1 farm. The increment is very high though. Perhaps 200w 5v farms would be a decent compromise
200w 5v mills is good I think. Then maybe you can upgrade each farm for another 200w to support another 5v
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

dansil92 wrote:
yea but aesthetically a bunch of small farms placed around the TC looks so much better than big ugly mills
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Post by Papist »

Since DE is primarily a revamp of an existing game, I doubt they'll make any changes that are all that groundbreaking (aside from adding the new civs of course). But if they were to do so, I think making it cheaper/faster to go to Age 4 would be a cool addition. It's a very fun age in terms of units and upgrades but only ~5% of games get there.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
Brazil look
Howdah

Post by look »

Timurid wrote:I think it would be interesting to make mill plantation transitions cheaper; make walls expensive/ build limit; and fight xp smaller.
any changes in this direction are good .. there could be a little less agglomerations in the food.
Kaiser sucks
Garja Noob
grunt the best
Kickass God
BSOP OP
Brazil look
Howdah

Post by look »

deleted_user wrote:I like the vying for map control and the games where both players' vills are in the deciding fight at 25 minutes because every single hunt is gone.
Me too
Kaiser sucks
Garja Noob
grunt the best
Kickass God
BSOP OP
Great Britain RuinousEdge
Musketeer
ESO: Ruinous_Edge

Post by RuinousEdge »

Papist wrote:Since DE is primarily a revamp of an existing game, I doubt they'll make any changes that are all that groundbreaking (aside from adding the new civs of course). But if they were to do so, I think making it cheaper/faster to go to Age 4 would be a cool addition. It's a very fun age in terms of units and upgrades but only ~5% of games get there.
Depends if the said groundbreaking changes are deemed necessary to make the game more historically accurate like the Sioux/Iro changes.
We need to hit the history books and work out how much old time currency things relevant in said ages cost, then do a modern day price conversion and then create a over complicated algorithm to get new true historically accurate age up costs.
My early prediction is that all age up costs will involve wood and coin but maybe reduce the food costs ever so slightly.
!vikings, glory to Valhalla and GUA!!!!
Brazil look
Howdah

Post by look »

I don't think that drastic changes can affect the balance so much, if each thing changes accordingly, a new meta can be real
Kaiser sucks
Garja Noob
grunt the best
Kickass God
BSOP OP
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

I love trying to decode look's messages

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Brazil look
Howdah

Post by look »

Riotcoke wrote:I love trying to decode look's messages
Love u too
Kaiser sucks
Garja Noob
grunt the best
Kickass God
BSOP OP
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

I dont think making the mill/farm/plantation transition easy would really improve the game. A big part of aoe3 is pushing for map and fighting for every gold mine. If the transition was easy/smooth maybe we would only see more turtle/camping in base for a deathball, single fight.
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Post by chris1089 »

Also don't want to make the transition too easy since the only finite resource to fight over would be wood. Which you don't even need for some civs.

If anything I'd want to make gold harder to get in the late game.