Skins/emotes

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Re: Skins/emotes

Post by Papist »

@evilcheadar Pretty sure you're just trolling, but this was the same logic the devs used when developing AoEO and we all saw how well that worked out. That game actually saw a sharp uptick in popularity when they introduced a competitive mode with no perks, bonuses, etc.. Bottom line is people who play RTS games want games to be decided by game knowledge, intuition, and micro, not how many hundreds of dollars you spent getting combat upgrades for your units or a gathering boost for your villagers.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

Papist wrote:@evilcheadar Pretty sure you're just trolling, but this was the same logic the devs used when developing AoEO and we all saw how well that worked out. That game actually saw a sharp uptick in popularity when they introduced a competitive mode with no perks, bonuses, etc.. Bottom line is people who play RTS games want games to be decided by game knowledge, intuition, and micro, not how many hundreds of dollars you spent getting combat upgrades for your units or a gathering boost for your villagers.
Not trolling tbh. I can see the argument that it could hurt the competitive scene. But what about skins and emotes? AOE3 needs to keep pace with what people want to see nowadays.
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by Papist »

evilcheadar wrote:
Papist wrote:@evilcheadar Pretty sure you're just trolling, but this was the same logic the devs used when developing AoEO and we all saw how well that worked out. That game actually saw a sharp uptick in popularity when they introduced a competitive mode with no perks, bonuses, etc.. Bottom line is people who play RTS games want games to be decided by game knowledge, intuition, and micro, not how many hundreds of dollars you spent getting combat upgrades for your units or a gathering boost for your villagers.
Not trolling tbh. I can see the argument that it could hurt the competitive scene. But what about skins and emotes? AOE3 needs to keep pace with what people want to see nowadays.
This discussion is largely academic because I'm pretty confident those things can't be implemented in a game this old. But yeah, as I said before I think being able to buy special uniforms or building styles would be really cool. It's definitely something I hope they consider for AoE4.
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

Papist wrote:
evilcheadar wrote:
This discussion is largely academic because I'm pretty confident those things can't be implemented in a game this old. But yeah, as I said before I think being able to buy special uniforms or building styles would be really cool. It's definitely something I hope they consider for AoE4.
Why can't they be implemented?? They're actually releasing a new definitive edition right now with new civs and maps. Perhaps skins, emotes and loot crates as well.

Great Britain Black_Duck
Dragoon
ESO: Tom
Clan: DUKC

Post by Black_Duck »

I hope you only get 2 free games a day and then you have to purchase more if you want to carry on playing
Challenged_Macro wrote: Respect Mussolini guys,if hes triggered there is always a reason.
Mussolini wrote: I hope corona gets you, your family and all your fuckin relatives as you fuckin deserve it for being cocky
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

Black_Duck wrote:I hope you only get 2 free games a day and then you have to purchase more if you want to carry on playing
That seems like it could get annoying if you want to play a lot of games in a day. I'm more interested in purchasable shipments where you can start the game with a few shipments like 5 musk.

Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by Papist »

evilcheadar wrote: Why can't they be implemented?? They're actually releasing a new definitive edition right now with new civs and maps. Perhaps skins, emotes and loot crates as well.
I'm not an expert on this stuff but afaik the changes they've implemented are purely aesthetic, i.e. the base code of the game hasn't been touched. I don't know if it would be possible to integrate the kind of features you've talking about without making some major alterations to it.
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

Papist wrote:
evilcheadar wrote: Why can't they be implemented?? They're actually releasing a new definitive edition right now with new civs and maps. Perhaps skins, emotes and loot crates as well.
I'm not an expert on this stuff but afaik the changes they've implemented are purely aesthetic, i.e. the base code of the game hasn't been touched. I don't know if it would be possible to integrate the kind of features you've talking about without making some major alterations to it.
Seems like they could just add a separate menu option for purchasable skins end emotes. I mean they can't just release this in 2020 without anything to appease people in the 10-20 age bracket. Without them this thing will die out imo. Think of it this way, we like to use "taunts" in game. Their version of taunts is emoting in different disrespectful ways at the opponent. Easy money if they monetize it.

Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by Papist »

evilcheadar wrote: Seems like they could just add a separate menu option for purchasable skins end emotes. I mean they can't just release this in 2020 without anything to appease people in the 10-20 age bracket. Without them this thing will die out imo. Think of it this way, we like to use "taunts" in game. Their version of taunts is emoting in different disrespectful ways at the opponent. Easy money if they monetize it.
1. The majority of RTS games don't have those features and are doing just fine. The two Age titles that did have them, AoEO and AoE: Castle Siege, weren't particularly helped by it -- both fizzled out quickly, while AoE2 and AoE3 live on 21 and 15 years after their respective release dates despite not having them. Starcraft II and Company of Heroes also don't have that stuff, and again are doing just fine.

2. It's important to remember that DE is not really a standalone game. Rather, it's a nostalgia release designed to make old players fall back in love with the series so they buy AoE4, which is where the real money is going to be made. Most of those players aren't in that age bracket and might even resent those types of features being added.

3. It's almost certainly not as simple as just adding a separate menu option. It's no easy feat to code any game to generate a unique set of skins/architecture for every game. It would be even harder to make a game from 2005 do it.
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

Papist wrote:
evilcheadar wrote: Seems like they could just add a separate menu option for purchasable skins end emotes. I mean they can't just release this in 2020 without anything to appease people in the 10-20 age bracket. Without them this thing will die out imo. Think of it this way, we like to use "taunts" in game. Their version of taunts is emoting in different disrespectful ways at the opponent. Easy money if they monetize it.
1. The majority of RTS games don't have those features and are doing just fine. The two Age titles that did have them, AoEO and AoE: Castle Siege, weren't particularly helped by it -- both fizzled out quickly, while AoE2 and AoE3 live on 21 and 15 years after their respective release dates despite not having them. Starcraft II and Company of Heroes also don't have that stuff, and again are doing just fine.

2. It's important to remember that DE is not really a standalone game. Rather, it's a nostalgia release designed to make old players fall back in love with the series so they buy AoE4, which is where the real money is going to be made. Most of those players aren't in that age bracket and might even resent those types of features being added.

3. It's almost certainly not as simple as just adding a separate menu option. It's no easy feat to code any game to generate a unique set of skins/architecture for every game. It would be even harder to make a game from 2005 do it.
1. AoEO and AoE: Castle Siege were bad games by them self without emotes and skins, no amount of in game purchases was going to save them.

2. Appealing to mainly older players to boost AOE4 sales would be a bad strategy obviously. Most of the players who played aoe1-3 are probably 25+ and have other things to do (pay their taxes etc).

3. Its 2020, sure they can do it. If there is money to be made it can and will happen. We will have dabbing doppelsoldners soon enough.

United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

evilcheadar wrote:
Black_Duck wrote:I hope you only get 2 free games a day and then you have to purchase more if you want to carry on playing
That seems like it could get annoying if you want to play a lot of games in a day. I'm more interested in purchasable shipments where you can start the game with a few shipments like 5 musk.
ah you had a good schtick there for a second but this gave it away
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

Squamiger wrote:
evilcheadar wrote:
ah you had a good schtick there for a second but this gave it away
This is a reasonable suggestion. As you rank up in the game you are able to purchase less and less shipments.

Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

caleb15 wrote:No
:cry:

Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by Papist »

evilcheadar wrote: 1. AoEO and AoE: Castle Siege were bad games by them self without emotes and skins, no amount of in game purchases was going to save them.
I disagree, AoEO was pretty much your standard Age game. The thing that tanked it was the micro transactions -- the game forced you to choose between grinding for hundreds of hours to access content or dropping a few hundred bucks, which alienated veterans of the series. Furthermore, you only started with two civs unlocked and had to drop $20 for each new civ. All of this gave AoEO the appearance of a pay-to-win game (which it was). By the time they introduced a competitive mode with no perks enabled, it was too late.
2. Appealing to mainly older players to boost AOE4 sales would be a bad strategy obviously. Most of the players who played aoe1-3 are probably 25+ and have other things to do (pay their taxes etc).
I didn't say they were "mainly" appealing to 25+, I just said they were appealing to them. Microsoft is 100% counting on nostalgia purchases from guys who played AoE2 and 3 in their youth to boost sales of AoE4. They'd be stupid not to cultivate that base of customers.
3. Its 2020, sure they can do it. If there is money to be made it can and will happen. We will have dabbing doppelsoldners soon enough.
They could, but they would have to rebuild the game from scratch. And since DE is a cash grab/marketing tool rather than a standalone release, that doesn't make sense because it would require them to make a large investment for relatively little reward.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

I think skins would be a good addition if the money went to fund events.
mad cuz bad
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

Skins on units could cause confusion, i really struggle to tell apart imperial cassadores from imperial musks in crowded fights and that makes a big difference when im playing azzy.

Microtransactions is a dark and steep road that leads nowhere good for an rts game imo
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

n0el wrote:I think skins would be a good addition if the money went to fund events.
I want skins to fund new Civs and maps
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

dansil92 wrote:Skins on units could cause confusion, i really struggle to tell apart imperial cassadores from imperial musks in crowded fights and that makes a big difference when im playing azzy.

Microtransactions is a dark and steep road that leads nowhere good for an rts game imo
Starcraft 2 did it and it’s totally fine
mad cuz bad
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

You can win new skins and maps

Ireland Snow Lynx
Musketeer

Post by Snow Lynx »

dansil92 wrote:Skins on units could cause confusion, i really struggle to tell apart imperial cassadores from imperial musks in crowded fights and that makes a big difference when im playing azzy.

I agree. Maybe skins and stuff would seem fun at first, but if the micro transactions took off then a few years down the line we can be sure it would end up being a “pay to win” style game.
How do you write a signature?
Italy Blastkiller
Dragoon
ESO: Blastkiller

Post by Blastkiller »

I wish Aztec units had a G on their skin
No one will escape from me, from my Russians, neither a troll nor a hacker nor a smurf, they will all give days in front of my strelets
Italy Blastkiller
Dragoon
ESO: Blastkiller

Post by Blastkiller »

Apart from the jokes aoe3 does not need these things, if you really want to make a separate option in order to activate for those who want these skins or a purchasable package, but inserting everything in the game without doing these things would make the game less competitive for those who want to play it competitively
No one will escape from me, from my Russians, neither a troll nor a hacker nor a smurf, they will all give days in front of my strelets
France Le Hussard sur le toit
Howdah
ESO: LeHussardsurletoit

Post by Le Hussard sur le toit »

Just put an option to hide skins, just like you can switch to friends/foes colours.
ESOC : came for the game, stayed for the drama.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Le Hussard sur le toit wrote:

Just put an option to hide skins, just like you can switch to friends/foes colours.
No, everyone should have to see your skins