Rec section?

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
United States of America giveuanxiety
Advanced Player
Donator 02
ESO: GiveUAnxiety

Rec section?

Post by giveuanxiety »

Assuming DE will have recorded games. Is it worth it to make a recorded game section here like the old days of rts-sanctuary? In the early days of DE there might be a lot of people that want to watch swedish and inca recs. Also just watching recs from any civ ppl wont want to go back on old tad to watch the recs if they will still be able to.
Lasol wrote: :hmm: just Saw a YouTube video with giveyouanexiaty. He Said check youre stove, if you Want to improve youre aoe3 skills.

WHAT does check your stove means? And how do you do it?
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Re: Rec section?

Post by chris1089 »

A way to watch recs on the website?
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

We will create a board for that when the game is released. Just as we will probably make boards for strategy, tech support and user created content.
United States of America giveuanxiety
Advanced Player
Donator 02
ESO: GiveUAnxiety

Post by giveuanxiety »

To download the recs from here. I guess we dont know how these functions would work in DE. Also I guess we do have a rec section already here, but it is much more hidden and hard to find here than on rts-sanctuary. Where the rec section is basically the most displayed thing on the site.
Lasol wrote: :hmm: just Saw a YouTube video with giveyouanexiaty. He Said check youre stove, if you Want to improve youre aoe3 skills.

WHAT does check your stove means? And how do you do it?
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Post by musketeer925 »

Hopefully we can support DE recs for sure.

We have a rec section, dedicated rec search tool, and forum integration of rec attachments. Not sure what else we can do to make them more popular on this site.

I think recs were more popular on RTS sanc because of less availability of casted games / lower quality youtube at the time
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

chris1089 wrote:A way to watch recs on the website?
This can never be possible. Recs are not videos, they are just a set of commands that can only be interpreted by the AoE3 game engine.

By the way, assuming recs just work the same, there will be an issue with rec compatibility; after every official update, all past recs will become invalid forever. Meaning that a rec section for DE is potentially quite useless, unless MS/ESOC can maintain some sort of compatibility tool like we have on EP now.
momuuu wrote: theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Post by musketeer925 »

EAGLEMUT wrote:
This can never be possible. Recs are not videos, they are just a set of commands that can only be interpreted by the AoE3 game engine.

By the way, assuming recs just work the same, there will be an issue with rec compatibility; after every official update, all past recs will become invalid forever. Meaning that a rec section for DE is potentially quite useless, unless MS/ESOC can maintain some sort of compatibility tool like we have on EP now.
Hopefully they do rec compatibility
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

musketeer925 wrote:
EAGLEMUT wrote:

Hopefully they do rec compatibility
Well, they aren't doing it even for AoE2 so... I think chances are not high.
momuuu wrote: theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

I remember old age sanctuary had the "game of the week" that was interesting, and posters had tags like "aoe expert" so even if you dont know anyone you could search for the "expert games". There was a few interesting features that we could have here to capitalize on the DE launch hype
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

Recs are an obsolete method of watching the game!
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01

Post by edeholland »

lemmings121 wrote:I remember old age sanctuary had the "game of the week" that was interesting, and posters had tags like "aoe expert" so even if you dont know anyone you could search for the "expert games". There was a few interesting features that we could have here to capitalize on the DE launch hype
We pretty much have that here by allowing users to search by PR: recorded-games
France flontier
Lancer
Intermediate Division Winner
ESO: Flontier
Clan: PLOP

Post by flontier »

edeholland wrote:We will create a board for that when the game is released. Just as we will probably make boards for strategy, tech support and user created content.
Speaking about strategy board,
i had a side project not so long ago and atm that i currently use as a personnal stragey walls on my local, some exemple :

https://i.gyazo.com/26f7988ef8ad6492294 ... d3aa99.jpg
https://i.gyazo.com/9a6a8717b12e6da6730 ... a52c26.jpg
https://i.gyazo.com/661a54e134d3e573236 ... 6df939.jpg

I just put every strategy i found on it right now but dunno if it interest players to access to that kind of app and mainly new comers for DE, i could find some time to improve that.
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01

Post by edeholland »

A more effective way to search for strategies is always welcome. Right now it's still relatively easy to find strategies in the strategy wall because they are sorted by civ and there are not too many for each civ, but with DE we have many many more threads to search through. I would probably like a search function on the forums because looking at the strategy in a thread instead of a separate page promotes discussion and browsing the forums. How does your app work exactly? Is it a simple web-app or something you have to install?
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01

Post by edeholland »

What I envision is the following:
  • Players are able to give tags to threads posted in the strategy and recordings board. Tags like [brits], [boom], [NR20], [sea]
  • Everyone is able to search for strategies and recordings by filtering for specific tags. Want to find a generic French BO? Search for [french]. Want to find a French BO with native rush against a booming civ? Search for [french] [natives] [rush].
  • We have a few strategy and recorded game curators on the forum who moderate those specific boards and who can change tags if needed.
Not sure how realistic this is with our current resources and if it would work well, but that's something I could see myself using.

A simpler alternative is just adding those tags in the thread title for easier searching.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

How will we communicate the massive amounts of Off Topic lore to newcomers? Better ModTheEar!
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01

Post by edeholland »

deleted_user wrote:How will we communicate the massive amounts of Off Topic lore to newcomers? Better ModTheEar!
Please keep this stuff in off-topic.
France flontier
Lancer
Intermediate Division Winner
ESO: Flontier
Clan: PLOP

Post by flontier »

edeholland wrote:A more effective way to search for strategies is always welcome. Right now it's still relatively easy to find strategies in the strategy wall because they are sorted by civ and there are not too many for each civ, but with DE we have many many more threads to search through. I would probably like a search function on the forums because looking at the strategy in a thread instead of a separate page promotes discussion and browsing the forums. How does your app work exactly? Is it a simple web-app or something you have to install?
Yea nothing to install, its a web-app.
The biggest problem with the strategy wall right now in my opinion is that it is still a subsubcategory in a forum, not easily accessible. I mean its pretty annoying to have to do 4 clicks before accessing to the page, and then you have to scroll down for exemple if you want to see all the spain strats, it is particularly annoying on a mobile phone. And when you're new its even more annoying cause you dont know really the name of whats you're looking for so it takes more time.
There should be atleast a link on the website front page imo.
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01

Post by edeholland »

Agreed, we should make it more accessible. Even a link in the sidebar or hamburger menu to the Strategy Wall would be an improvement.