PCGamesN: In-depth interview with the AoE3:DE team

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

PCGamesN: In-depth interview with the AoE3:DE team

Post by EAGLEMUT »

Nice interview with some new information: https://www.pcgamesn.com/age-of-empires ... 3-remaster

Confirmed:
"Big chunk" of community work from past years coming into DE
Huge AI rework
Options to switch between classic and new interface
Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Re: PCGamesN: In-depth interview with the AoE3:DE team

Post by Imperial Noob »

The cool thing is we’ve had a little more freedom with Age III than we have with Age II in terms of being a little more radical, adding things, and changing things, simply because the community was more open to it.
zoom is smiling from the heavens
Aside from the graphics – you don’t want ten polygon wheels on things – we give you options for turning everything off and going back to as classic a look as you can get.
excellent
If you play as Sweden, you’re very aggressive, trying to get all over the map, trying to get mercenaries shipped from basically every nation in Europe at the time.
merc strat: the civ? :love:
On the other hand, the Inca are more for the Age II crowd that wants to get into Age III, because it’s more of a city builder civ. You can build your huge empire, your stone walls, your palaces, your citadels, whatever you want.
And turtle; the civ? xD Now we have the two things imperial noobs like me enjoy the most
Peru VictorXV
Crossbow

Post by VictorXV »

I also read that they will consider disabling shooting throu walls if the community asks for it. Im surprised no one cared xD
No Flag ssaraf
Dragoon
ESO: robinhood_xing

Post by ssaraf »

I just read this article, was about to make a thread about it.
Loved it when I read that "old community" was actively involved, they mentioned the RFP which I think @Interjection proposed and was created.

2 things :
1. Have we decided about how the community will function once Aoe3DE is out? If yes, then we can talk to Microsoft and agree to put the eso-community.net link in that article. (ofcourse pcgames also has to agree to it). It would be great publicity for the community. :smile:

2. Name reveal of the people involved in dealing with Microsoft would be great. (whenever they can, but i m greedy like mitoe :P )
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team
ESO: challenger_marco

Post by Challenger_Marco »

VictorXV wrote:I also read that they will consider disabling shooting throu walls if the community asks for it. Im surprised no one cared xD
This would totally change the game & meta ,everyone will start to wall and sit in base & basically becomes aoe2.
:nwc:
Germany aligator92
Howdah
ESO: aligator92

Post by aligator92 »

Challenger_Marco wrote:
VictorXV wrote:I also read that they will consider disabling shooting throu walls if the community asks for it. Im surprised no one cared xD
This would totally change the game & meta ,everyone will start to wall and sit in base & basically becomes aoe2.
Would it not make walling weaker? Because the defender can not attack units that siege the wall.
Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Post by Imperial Noob »

defending would be a nightmare. Imagine trying to snipe falcs with culvs from behind a wall, but there is a contingent of enemy muskets sieging without any punishments as well. If the wall goes down, the culvs may be dead before they shoot at the siege guns

The problem is that units cannot be put on walls, nor can back walls be built taller. Without that proper siege fights would be impossible

if nobody could shoot through walls, sieges would become minigames of troop manouver very different from other parts of the game. Most players would hate it then much more than they hate walls now
Denmark voigt1240
Lancer
ESO: voigt

Post by voigt1240 »

So if you were to delete a single pillar you could shoot at the advancing troops?
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

aligator92 wrote:
Challenger_Marco wrote:
Would it not make walling weaker? Because the defender can not attack units that siege the wall.
Yea walls would be far worse, maybe even too bad. Breeze in shambles if this happens.
No Flag Astaroth
Howdah

Post by Astaroth »

Aside from maybe weakening walls, it would also result in all kinds of potentially risky changes to balance:

- imagine random "quick walls" in the open field to get positional advantages or to benefit melee units
- imagine re-walling behind existing walls without being able to hit vills building (this could also make walls during battles more viable)
- imagine abusing gates way more than before to poke from all angles: hide units behind wall, make gate at the side, go out and poke, hide behind wall etc.

etc.
Italy Blastkiller
Dragoon
ESO: Blastkiller

Post by Blastkiller »

it will be a game for the 3 master masons of the community
No one will escape from me, from my Russians, neither a troll nor a hacker nor a smurf, they will all give days in front of my strelets
Switzerland bobabu
Howdah

Post by bobabu »

It's sad that some community members passed away before the release of the definitve edition.