Diplomacy functionality

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
Switzerland bobabu
Howdah

Diplomacy functionality

Post by bobabu »

Did they add the diplomacy functionality in Age of Empires 3 de?
I would like to see the ally functionality where you can switch between ally and foe.
The ally functionality was a part of the despatch after all.
It would make ffa funnier.
Also, some scenario without gold would be interesting where you have to get gold through trading with trade carts similarly to Age of Empires 2 de.
No Flag helln00
Howdah
ESO: helln00

Re: Ally/foe functionality

Post by helln00 »

there is diplomacy in EP but so far i havent seen many people using it.
Switzerland bobabu
Howdah

Post by bobabu »

helln00 wrote:there is diplomacy in EP but so far i haven't seen many people using it.
Yes because nobody plays FFA on Ep. Also, nobody plays scenarios on de. Most people don't play de, so they don't even know about it. But diplomacy would be a great addition to the game, for scenario games and FFA.
No Flag helln00
Howdah

Post by helln00 »

bobabu wrote:
helln00 wrote:there is diplomacy in EP but so far i haven't seen many people using it.
Yes because nobody plays FFA on Ep. Also, nobody plays scenarios on de. Most people don't play de, so they don't even know about it. But diplomacy would be a great addition to the game, for scenario games and FFA.
I agree though there has been things I havent seen fleshed out in the game mode so far on ep, like how team shipment works. If DE is implementing that it might be interesting how they go about it
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Re: Diplomacy functionality

Post by chris1089 »

Just a reminder to people to not break NDA in their responses.
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: wardyb1

Post by wardyb1 »

chris1089 wrote:Just a reminder to people to not break NDA in their responses.
I think there was already an announcement about team changes by microsoft? I say that because I think I read about it and I'm not in the beta. Not to say people should say any more than has already been said.
“To love the journey is to accept no such end. I have found, through painful experience, that the most important step a person can take is always the next one.”
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

wardyb1 wrote:
I think there was already an announcement about team changes by microsoft? I say that because I think I read about it and I'm not in the beta. Not to say people should say any more than has already been said.
Yep it was announced that team 3 & 4 will be available like on EP. Nothing about diplomacy yet.
momuuu wrote: theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
Switzerland bobabu
Howdah

Post by bobabu »

EAGLEMUT wrote:
wardyb1 wrote:
Yep it was announced that team 3 & 4 will be available like on EP. Nothing about diplomacy yet.
Dear Eaglemut

I hereby permit you to tell if there's diplomacy in EP.

Best Regards Micrönsöft
No Flag helln00
Howdah

Post by helln00 »

bobabu wrote: Micrönsöft
Is that some kind of nordic microsoft clone that sells fermented swedish fish?
Switzerland bobabu
Howdah

Post by bobabu »

helln00 wrote:
bobabu wrote: Micrönsöft
Is that some kind of nordic Microsoft clone that sells fermented Swedish fish?
Smelliest fish in town

Micrönsöft guarantees Salmonella, or you get your money back
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

I don’t like diplomacy for FFA. It takes all the mind games out of it. It also encourages players to team from the start. In normal FFA, teaming is entirely a social convention meaning it requires more tact and finesse.
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

Squamiger wrote:I don’t like diplomacy for FFA. It takes all the mind games out of it. It also encourages players to team from the start. In normal FFA, teaming is entirely a social convention meaning it requires more tact and finesse.
FFA is terrible though, it's legit just boom as hard as possible and hope you don't get attacked and you win.

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Howdah

Post by Squamiger »

Riotcoke wrote:
Squamiger wrote:I don’t like diplomacy for FFA. It takes all the mind games out of it. It also encourages players to team from the start. In normal FFA, teaming is entirely a social convention meaning it requires more tact and finesse.
FFA is terrible though, it's legit just boom as hard as possible and hope you don't get attacked and you win.
i think we've had this conversation before
Switzerland bobabu
Howdah

Post by bobabu »

Well I mean as an optional addon. So you can still have no diplomacy if you want to play ffa like that.

FFA in Age 2 de is funnier because of trade and diplomacy. At some point, trade and diplomacy are essential to keep up the game. You can be sneaky send someone res and tell them to attack for you, for example. Or you can finance a war between two other players without them knowing.
Howdah

Post by Squamiger »

bobabu wrote:
Well I mean as an optional addon. So you can still have no diplomacy if you want to play ffa like that.

FFA in Age 2 de is funnier because of trade and diplomacy. At some point, trade and diplomacy are essential to keep up the game. You can be sneaky send someone res and tell them to attack for you, for example. Or you can finance a war between two other players without them knowing.
ah that's interesting I guess.
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

I think diplomacy kind ruins the core of what FFA is, Some 2v2v2v2 ffas would be cool, but if people can tribute and team up it will just ruin the dynamic. At least even if people do team up, a stronger player cant tribute thousands of resources to save them or if tried to fight in one big battle would take too much friendlier fire. It makes it easier to defend like that.

I think the coding time could be better spent on other things
Switzerland bobabu
Howdah

Post by bobabu »

howlingwolfpaw wrote:I think diplomacy kind ruins the core of what FFA is, Some 2v2v2v2 ffas would be cool, but if people can tribute and team up it will just ruin the dynamic. At least even if people do team up, a stronger player cant tribute thousands of resources to save them or if tried to fight in one big battle would take too much friendlier fire. It makes it easier to defend like that.

I think the coding time could be better spent on other things

I disagree. First, it should be optional, I agree. However, among a bunch of friends having diplomacy is way more fun. Double-crossing people or taking on the best player together is way more fun. Now FFA is just dull. People sit in their base and boom. Then there are some big decisive fights, and that's the game. Sure it's more fair, but FFA is about the intrigues and backstabbing. I usually find myself changing teams more than 3 times trading with many different people and continually communicating with them to try to make a good deal which can win me the game. Usually, there's an unwritten rule that nobody is getting destroyed in the beginning. Just weaken your opponent maybe make him give you some gold or a gold mine for retreating. Then, later on, he can still be a valuable asset for trade. FFA is pretty blend in age 3, and that's why they are less often played in age 3 than in age 2.
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

it creates a whole new dynamic, and changes FFA into FREE for all Teams. Which we know unbalanced teams is not really fun to play against. Even in authentic FFA teaming can occur (nothing prevents those things you started as fun from occurring in authentic FFA) but it does have some drawbacks and can be overcome if skill levels are different. If people can team up and use port mortars with azzy style eagle knights or other OP combos will just not be so fun. Other players will have to team up as well, and then might as well have been a team game with fair teams at the start. And if you knock out a weaker player but his booming parter can buy them back in the game then its just unwinnable for the better player who may have a chance if they can knock out the weaker player quick and then fight the rest as a 1v1. How if that fun for a strong player? has to be fun for all.

FFA is small enough community does not need to be split into authentic FFA and team shenanigans FFA.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

howlingwolfpaw wrote: team shenanigans
Team shenanigans is literally the name of a deck I have with France except the character limit means it's displayed as "teamshenani"
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

deleted_user wrote:
howlingwolfpaw wrote: team shenanigans
Team shenanigans is literally the name of a deck I have with France except the character limit means it's displayed as "teamshenani"

shenangians can be a lot of fun. I have my shenanigan decks but not really good names for them.