What kind of screen for AOE III DE

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
No Flag draztik
Skirmisher
ESO: DrAzTiK

What kind of screen for AOE III DE

Post by draztik »

Have you tested AOE III in big resolution or 4k ? I wonder if it makes the experience confortable because I am scare that units become small at bigger resolution...
I am hesitating to buy a new screen because mine is very old .. Here I can see different options and different resolutions :

- 24 inch 1900*1080 === my current setup
- 27 inch 2560 x 1440
- 32 inch 16/9 2560 x 1440 pixels or 4K (3840 x 2160 pixels)
- 34 inch 21/9 with 3440*1440. résolution. ====> I am not sure this kind of ultrawide screen to be interesting for STR games.

I think the most reasonable choice considering my budget could be a 27 inch 2560 or maybe a 32inch 2560.
32 inch looks quite big but it can be interesting maybe ...

Have you ever tried some of these options ?
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Re: What kind of screen for AOE III DE

Post by Riotcoke »

It's all personal preference.

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
No Flag draztik
Skirmisher

Post by draztik »

Yes but sometimes there is some realities about everybody agree. Maybe it is obvious that play in AOE III DE with a 34 inch 3440*1440 is a bewilderment. (Idk, just an exemple)
France chronique
Advanced Player
ESO: poissondu44

Post by chronique »

I prefere small screen and i have always played with low graphism. Sad on DE low graphism is not that low ^^
Netherlands xxsix9xx
Crossbow
ESO: Xzyage

Post by xxsix9xx »

draztik wrote:Have you tested AOE III in big resolution or 4k ? I wonder if it makes the experience confortable because I am scare that units become small at bigger resolution...
I am hesitating to buy a new screen because mine is very old .. Here I can see different options and different resolutions :

- 27 inch 2560 x 1440
- 34 inch 21/9 with 3440*1440. résolution. ====> I am not sure this kind of ultrawide screen to be interesting for STR games.

I think the most reasonable choice considering my budget could be a 27 inch 2560 or maybe a 32inch 2560.

I have the same question, I had for almost 2 weeks a 28 inch 4k monitor for 250€ (BenQ EL2870U which was tested to be good for games on a budget) in my shopping basket. But I don't know what the difference will be with my 27 high definition monitor?

The only thing I really care about is that the view very var away is (I want to see biggest peace of the map possible) , in theory I think a 4k monitor would be more far away??? But I never found somebody to confirm that?
European Union aaryngend
Howdah
Clan: N3O

Post by aaryngend »

draztik wrote:- 27 inch 2560 x 1440
- 32 inch 16/9 2560 x 1440 pixels

A very good choice. I find it sad that there are barely any 28-30" screens, you mostly find 27" ones and then it continues from 32" onwards.
WQHD (2560x1440) is the best choice if you ask me, 4K is a bit too extreme for PC monitors..
27 or 31,5/32, hard to decide which one to take. I never owned a monitor above 27". 27" is definitely the safer choice.
No Flag draztik
Skirmisher

Post by draztik »

chronique wrote:I prefere small screen and i have always played with low graphism. Sad on DE low graphism is not that low ^^
I have this nice item for you my dear fellow citizen :
Attachments
800px-Game-Boy-Original.jpg
No Flag draztik
Skirmisher

Post by draztik »

joking aside it is not only about the size of screen. It is a combination of size and resolution.

I suspect that a 4k is going to make units to look extremely small, at least on 27 inch. Some people may like it but as for me I am looking for a compromise.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

xxsix9xx wrote:
draztik wrote:Have you tested AOE III in big resolution or 4k ? I wonder if it makes the experience confortable because I am scare that units become small at bigger resolution...

- 27 inch 2560 x 1440

I have the same question, I had for almost 2 weeks a 28 inch 4k monitor for 250€ (BenQ EL2870U which was tested to be good for games on a budget) in my shopping basket. But I don't know what the difference will be with my 27 high definition monitor?

The only thing I really care about is that the view very var away is (I want to see biggest peace of the map possible) , in theory I think a 4k monitor would be more far away??? But I never found somebody to confirm that?
I can confirm that this is NOT the case. AOE3 scales to your screen (more specifically the height of the screen). So for example you have a 1920x1080 screen and an a building takes up 20% height and 20% width of the screen. If you then launch the game on 3840x2160 the same building on the same settings will still take 20% height 20% width of the screen. The game does not allow you to zoom out more (i don't know if this will change in DE).

The only caveat is that if you go from 16:9 (normal) to a 4:3 (old timey) screen, you get your sides cut off, so you get less viewable area. If you go to ultrawide 21:9 you get more stuff on sides. See video in spoiler.
spoiler
Personally I wouldn't go for a 32inch 2560x1440, i have a similar screen at work and I need glasses to use it at a comfortable distance. I would go for something smaller if you're going for gaming.
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
No Flag draztik
Skirmisher

Post by draztik »

AOE3 scales to your screen
Ok , good to know it. ;) I think it is not the case for old game but recent games scale I think.
Poland Nemo
Crossbow

Post by Nemo »

Hey, I actually have both 27" 2560x1440 (144 Hz) and 4K 32" (60Hz), so maybe my opinion can help a little. There are few things with both of these settings that are up to your preference, but what i feel like is:

4K 32" - difference in, let's say, overall comfort is definitely in favor of this one. I love it for work and doing all 'life' things, then you can watch movies or something and it's close to being like flat-screen TV. That being said, few things to consider:
1. You need big and deep desk to have good watching angle to not move your head around
2. It's really taxing for your computer, so take this into consideration if you're not on high-end stuff
3. If you go for double screen, you probably need mouse with two different sensitivities - moving cursor around on 4k with low DPI is tedious :D

For all this reasons, i do most of my stuff on this screen, EXCEPT FOR PLAYING VERY DETAILED GAMES LIKE RTS's :P

If i really had to go for screen mostly for gaming mainly RTS games, i would go for WQHD 27" - it's still very comfortable overall, requires less from GPU, you can achieve higher frame rate, don't need to sit very far and can grasp even the far corners without moving your head. I'm using this one for all my gaming, and to be frank in RTS games i still use 1920x1080 res.

Sooo, you basically need to know what games:other stuff ratio you have in your life and go from there. Also, i completely agree that they should make more like 29" or 30" screens to combine advantages of bigger and smaller screens
No Flag draztik
Skirmisher

Post by draztik »

Nemo wrote:Hey, I actually have both 27" 2560x1440 (144 Hz) and 4K 32" (60Hz), so maybe my opinion can help a little. There are few things with both of these settings that are up to your preference, but what i feel like is:

4K 32" - difference in, let's say, overall comfort is definitely in favor of this one. I love it for work and doing all 'life' things, then you can watch movies or something and it's close to being like flat-screen TV. That being said, few things to consider:
1. You need big and deep desk to have good watching angle to not move your head around
2. It's really taxing for your computer, so take this into consideration if you're not on high-end stuff
3. If you go for double screen, you probably need mouse with two different sensitivities - moving cursor around on 4k with low DPI is tedious :D

For all this reasons, i do most of my stuff on this screen, EXCEPT FOR PLAYING VERY DETAILED GAMES LIKE RTS's :P

If i really had to go for screen mostly for gaming mainly RTS games, i would go for WQHD 27" - it's still very comfortable overall, requires less from GPU, you can achieve higher frame rate, don't need to sit very far and can grasp even the far corners without moving your head. I'm using this one for all my gaming, and to be frank in RTS games i still use 1920x1080 res.

Sooo, you basically need to know what games:other stuff ratio you have in your life and go from there. Also, i completely agree that they should make more like 29" or 30" screens to combine advantages of bigger and smaller screens
Thanks for details mate.
Can I ask you if the quality remain decent when you use 1920*1080 on a 27 inch screen (2560x1440). Because screen are suposed to work on a native resolution and looks maybe not so good on other resolutions...
Poland Nemo
Crossbow

Post by Nemo »

I mean, it seems ok, I don't have any dissonance after switching to full HD for RTSs, sometimes i even made switches from 24" at my parents' house to 27" and it felt similar.

I guess the circumstances when it really matters is when you use too big of a screen with too low resolution for writing or reading - the letters may get distorted and have weird edges, but that is not the case here
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

Different screens upscale resolutions differently. Most LCDs suck at this unfortunately. If you really care about this scenario you should find a review (of monitor in question) that discusses it.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
No Flag draztik
Skirmisher

Post by draztik »

So maybe a 27 inch 1900*1080 could be interesting lol
Poland Nemo
Crossbow

Post by Nemo »

draztik wrote:So maybe a 27 inch 1900*1080 could be interesting lol
It would definitely be very cheap :P
No Flag draztik
Skirmisher

Post by draztik »

not so much : around 250-300 € for a decent one
No Flag draztik
Skirmisher

Post by draztik »

By the way, I have just purchased a 27 inch 1900*1080 ( LENOVO 179 €) and I can confirm that the comfort is clearly better . I almost don't need to zoom anymore. (just a little bit in comparaison to my 24inch).

So I recommend 27 inch screen 1900*1080 for DE. On another hand I haven't tested 2K or 4k but in these cases I think you need a quite powerful computer. (and 2k or 4k screen are quite expensive).

Salam Alekoum
European Union aaryngend
Howdah

Post by aaryngend »

draztik wrote:By the way, I have just purchased a 27 inch 1900*1080 ( LENOVO 179 €) and I can confirm that the comfort is clearly better . I almost don't need to zoom anymore. (just a little bit in comparaison to my 24inch).

So I recommend 27 inch screen 1900*1080 for DE. On another hand I haven't tested 2K or 4k but in these cases I think you need a quite powerful computer. (and 2k or 4k screen are quite expensive).

Salam Alekoum
They aren't expensive at all: 400-500€ are all you need to get a decent pair of WQHD 27".
Gaming monitors are a must, office ones have a low amount of Hz which just sucks.
No Flag draztik
Skirmisher

Post by draztik »

About Hz, I think we don't need it for strategic games like AOE, it is more usefull for FPS.
European Union aaryngend
Howdah

Post by aaryngend »

draztik wrote:About Hz, I think we don't need it for strategic games like AOE, it is more usefull for FPS.
Useful for everything.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

yeah i can attest that even having desktop at 90hz feels awesome
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

Just use a CRT, instant response time.

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

well the hertz still matter even on a CRT
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

My monitor is like 8 years old I bought it to be optimized for xbox 360 gaming might upgrade idk.