Age of Empires 3 definitive edition criticism

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
Switzerland bobabu
Howdah

Age of Empires 3 definitive edition criticism

Post by bobabu »

In the last two days, we saw most of the Age of Empires 3 definitive edition online. Now, I think it's fair to start criticizing the parts of the game we don't like. In this thread, you can post your critique. I hope they will incorporate some of your suggestions in the full release or future patches.

-I don't like how the game looks like in full HD. I suspect that the game developers mostly played the game in 4k. The game does look pretty in 4k, but in full HD it looks worse than the old version. So I suggest working on the game to make it look better in full HD since most players play the game in full HD and not in 4k.
-Making out units is much harder in definitive edition; however, I am not sure if it's due to the changes in the models or if it just takes time to adjust.
-I prefer the old idle vills flag on the top left to the new one.
-In the definitive edition, it's also much harder to see if units are in your town centre.
-Some hotkeys are simply missing.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Re: Age of Empires 3 definitive edition criticism

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

- It's harder to see your shipments.
Germany amiggo1999
Advanced Player
Donator 01
ESO: miggo1999

Post by amiggo1999 »

Yea the fact that in the UI you can barely recognize how many units you have garrisonned is a problem, and the tiny button also makes it super hard to eject them individually.
Image Image
Argentina Jotunir
Howdah

Post by Jotunir »

I had bad experiences in the past with remakes, my advice would be to stay away from them and keep on playing what you already have.
As intheforest posted in a steam forum some time ago regarding AOE DE:
"It is simply aoe with a new paint job and only works with windows 10" "these definitive editions are simply reskins of the old game as a cash grab"
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Vils in buildings and not being able to see your shipment is some of my biggest complaints.
France chronique
Advanced Player
ESO: poissondu44

Post by chronique »

How hard it is to code a small square behind the number of shipement you have?
United States of America SoldieR
Pro Player
ESO: SoldieR

Post by SoldieR »

The fact that the visuals are much better in some of the campaigning I did, gives me hope that those are the finished graphics etc.
Germany blackout
Dragoon

Post by blackout »

Jotunir wrote: As intheforest posted in a steam forum some time ago regarding AOE DE:
"It is simply aoe with a new paint job and only works with windows 10" "these definitive editions are simply reskins of the old game as a cash grab"

Well thats bs tho
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

Jotunir wrote:I had bad experiences in the past with remakes, my advice would be to stay away from them and keep on playing what you already have.
Works all the way from Windows 7 actually, like the other DEs. There is just no official customer support for people on outdated OS.
Also the game is about half the price of the original, which they could've kept selling forever instead. Not sure how reducing the price along with adding more content could be called a cash grab.
No Flag helln00
Howdah
ESO: helln00

Post by helln00 »

hmm so playing a few games i can see where that feeling some people have said about it being slightly unresponsive is coming from. I think the game speed has actually changed somehow but i cant find a way to confirm it. Maybe FAST will be the way of the future
Argentina Jotunir
Howdah

Post by Jotunir »

EAGLEMUT wrote:
Jotunir wrote:I had bad experiences in the past with remakes, my advice would be to stay away from them and keep on playing what you already have.
Works all the way from Windows 7 actually, like the other DEs. There is just no official customer support for people on outdated OS.
Also the game is about half the price of the original, which they could've kept selling forever instead. Not sure how reducing the price along with adding more content could be called a cash grab.
Believe what you will, I have already given my point of view. Have a good day :smile:
Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Post by Imperial Noob »

I can't comprehend the complaints against the demands of a Windows 10, considering that at one point Microsoft did offer and advertise a free switch for anyone with an older OS.
No Flag helln00
Howdah

Post by helln00 »

actually i rescind my comment about the lag, its not the game, I think its the multiplayer since the campaign and the art of war feels very responsive
European Union aaryngend
Howdah
Clan: N3O

Post by aaryngend »

Imperial Noob wrote:I can't comprehend the complaints against the demands of a Windows 10, considering that at one point Microsoft did offer and advertise a free switch for anyone with an older OS.
At one point? They still do. They want to stop developing for a plethora of OS's and only work on Windows 10. You can easily get Windows 10 for free if you own a legit Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 key.
No Flag helln00
Howdah

Post by helln00 »

aaryngend wrote:
Imperial Noob wrote:I can't comprehend the complaints against the demands of a Windows 10, considering that at one point Microsoft did offer and advertise a free switch for anyone with an older OS.
At one point? They still do. They want to stop developing for a plethora of OS's and only work on Windows 10. You can easily get Windows 10 for free if you own a legit Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 key.
Heck even if you dont have windows 7 or 8 u can get the free version which is enough to play games in anyway, it just has that annoying activate windows watermark

edit: lol there are formations for ships now, this might be very fun
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

Feeling a bit more optimistic about the game after playing today, but I can't play at max zoom. Feels like it hurts my eyes. Playing at a zoom similar to the original game seems ok though.
Singapore Thrar
Retired Contributor
ESO: Thrar

Post by Thrar »

bobabu wrote:I don't like how the game looks like in full HD. I suspect that the game developers mostly played the game in 4k. The game does look pretty in 4k, but in full HD it looks worse than the old version. So I suggest working on the game to make it look better in full HD since most players play the game in full HD and not in 4k.
Mitoe wrote:Feeling a bit more optimistic about the game after playing today, but I can't play at max zoom. Feels like it hurts my eyes. Playing at a zoom similar to the original game seems ok though.
I think that's exactly what makes it look off on a 1080p screen. The highest zoom level is just too far for that type of screen so everything looks really small and hard to distinguish. Medium zoom works fine for me, and I think even that is still zoomed out a little further than the max zoom on the old version.
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

It's still bad, though. The colours are really off and the lighting is just not great on half the maps.
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

I guess my work of fixing maps has just begun
No Flag helln00
Howdah

Post by helln00 »

ok here is a thing that im sort of annoyed by after playing abit and im not sure if its a bug or not. Clicking on units and buildings to attack sometime doesnt register or maybe just doesn't show the flashing animation that it usually does and ship's hit boxes are kinda funky sometimes where it doesnt show the attack cursor when you hover over (same with buildings actually)
Denmark voigt1240
Lancer
ESO: voigt

Post by voigt1240 »

A little bittersweet to see the russian flag get changed
No Flag helln00
Howdah

Post by helln00 »

ok just playing through the campaign water and siege is incredibly janky cause sometimes the buildings dont light up when you click to attack and also it seems like they have very weird hitboxes making the hits not even register.

Also attack move is weird, it seems to make them just stand in place until they attack , like they dont even move
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

One major point of criticism from me: since Inca are now a civ and the Incan minor natives have been removed without replacement, there is no tech available anymore that boosts my infantry speed by 20%. Hence, German Fusiliers can no longer get a speed of 8.25, which makes the game dull.

RIP 495hp / 108dmg / 8.25 speed uber-musket. I love chasing port goons with you :(
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

You can still get full speed fusliers, just have to play on Andes also they get +50 percent hp and attack so they're even better :).

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

Riotcoke wrote:You can still get full speed fusliers, just have to play on Andes.
Wait really? So there is still a (standard) map where the Inca are a minor tribe?
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.