Cycling through TCs

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
Spain Arc_gu1ll3_sp
Crossbow
ESO: ArC_Gu1ll3_sp

Cycling through TCs

Post by Arc_gu1ll3_sp »

Is there a way to cycle through TCs as in the original game? I have to quickly press twice for it to go to the next tc, If I click at normal pace, it will keep selecting the same TC without selecting the following. My goal is to be able to spam vills confortably.

Thanks
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Re: Cycling through TCs

Post by harcha »

@Arc_gu1ll3_sp have you tried adjusting the delay in settings?
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Spain Arc_gu1ll3_sp
Crossbow

Post by Arc_gu1ll3_sp »

harcha wrote:@Arc_gu1ll3_sp have you tried adjusting the delay in settings?
Where in settings is that :O Thanks
Great Britain WickedCossack
Retired Contributor

Post by WickedCossack »

While cycling through tc's and spamming vils feels cool to do it's nearly always inferior to selecting all tcs. Can be useful for adjusting around multiple tc's when aging up but otherwise is a waste of apm and time. Would suggest using the mechanics the game offers to your advantage instead of going old school.
United States of America SoldieR
Pro Player
ESO: SoldieR

Post by SoldieR »

I totally disagree. If you make vils with all tcs selected you have to then select each to set gather point and you tend to halt production for tcs to synchronize production, waiting for 300f to que all 3 when you can start queuing the first 2 tcs earlier.
Australia Kawapasaka
ESOC Pro Team

Post by Kawapasaka »

Agree with Soldier, I control grouped tcs in the old game and it created so much extra work, and would really suck for early game macro with ports for example (if I played ports).
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

WickedCossack wrote:While cycling through tc's and spamming vils feels cool to do it's nearly always inferior to selecting all tcs. Can be useful for adjusting around multiple tc's when aging up but otherwise is a waste of apm and time. Would suggest using the mechanics the game offers to your advantage instead of going old school.
I think this is good advice for treaty, but supremacy generally requires more micromanagement - you want to make sure that you can select each TC to change the waypoint, not queue the vils in a compromised TC, micro the TC shots and change the shipment spawn point.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

Arc_gu1ll3_sp wrote:
I thought you could change this with "threshold snap to unit" but maybe not...
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah
ESO: MacacoAlbino
Clan: 3Huss

Post by macacoalbino »

harcha wrote:
Arc_gu1ll3_sp wrote:
I thought you could change this with "threshold snap to unit" but maybe not...
That's exactly what the option does, changes the delay which your second click "looks" at the building you're trying to find.
There is also an option to always "look at" the things you find with "find hotkeys" in the very first click

Spain Arc_gu1ll3_sp
Crossbow

Post by Arc_gu1ll3_sp »

Setting threshold snap to unit to 100%/long seems to do the trick, tried with 2 port tcs. Sadly it centers view on the tcs, I would love it if I can do the cyling without having the camera go to the selected units/tcs, but good enough.
WickedCossack wrote:While cycling through tc's and spamming vils feels cool to do it's nearly always inferior to selecting all tcs. Can be useful for adjusting around multiple tc's when aging up but otherwise is a waste of apm and time. Would suggest using the mechanics the game offers to your advantage instead of going old school.
I really prefer to cycle for the reasons mentioned by others. Doing all vills at the same time in supremacy is not optimal, less if u re playing ports or Inca.
Sweden Zutazuta
Howdah
zuta

Post by Zutazuta »

Arc_gu1ll3_sp wrote:Setting threshold snap to unit to 100%/long seems to do the trick, tried with 2 port tcs. Sadly it centers view on the tcs, I would love it if I can do the cyling without having the camera go to the selected units/tcs, but good enough.
I really prefer to cycle for the reasons mentioned by others. Doing all vills at the same time in supremacy is not optimal, less if u re playing ports or Inca.
That's literally another option in the same menu :P
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah

Post by macacoalbino »

If you lower your threshold close to 0 you’ll need to double tap really fast in order to center the camera. But beware that this will also affect when you want to snap to your army as well
@Arc_gu1ll3_sp

Great Britain WickedCossack
Retired Contributor

Post by WickedCossack »

SoldieR wrote:I totally disagree. If you make vils with all tcs selected you have to then select each to set gather point and you tend to halt production for tcs to synchronize production, waiting for 300f to que all 3 when you can start queuing the first 2 tcs earlier.
Hah this is one of those times where I thought I was saying something completely uncontroversial.

For reals though I understand how there can be optimizations with cycle queuing but in my honest opinion these are completely neglible relative to the apm required to perform it and reduced awareness. I think in the moments where you do need to queue up a villager in one TC only (like aging with multiple tcs) you can cycle to it and it doesn't justify cycle queing the whole game. Maybe this is needed in other RTS but here I am convinced it's not the optimal way for the apm of the current top player base.
Pro Player

Post by SoldieR »

Apm? I just press space V. It's more apm for me to select all (shift + ctrl + a) V, then find each tc, right click rally.

Tbh I think your just being comfortable using the same rally point for all 3 tcs, which is so wasteful of villager seconds. (Unless you set your tc way point once and leave it, which is also a sin).
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

why do you think selecting all TCs to make vills gives them all the same rally point? It doesn't.

And why do you think you cant change the rally point on your TCs? It's not like you need to change the rally point often anyways. Usually, on new TCs (out on the map to secure resources i.e. food or gold), it'll just be the difference between a hunt that is dead underneath the TC or the mine adjacent. And when the hunts and mines are gone you put em on the nearby wood.

The alternative, centering the camera upon find, is a disastrous mechanic which is constantly needing my eyes to "catch up" to whatever is happening on the screen and interrupts my mouse movements.
Pro Player

Post by SoldieR »

It's just macro. I change rally points for tcs very often. I see far too often people never change rally point, even when that rally point is an empty space where a tree used to be, and they instead find the vil through idle vil hotkey every time lol
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Yeah aiz does that a lot, and aiz's macro is horrendous. But I don't do that, and my macro is tremendous. But the idle vill hotkey effective performs the function of going to the TC that needs to be re-rallied.

Besides, doesnt using the find hotkey auto cycle anyways when it's pressed again (outside the double tap threshold)? You're just cray cray tbh.
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

I feel like the vast majority of games (1v1) I only ever have 1 tc, or sometimes two. I don't play Ports really so that's relevant. But with 1 tc i much prefer to make my TC a control group so I don't have to snap to it every time I want to queue a vill.
Pro Player

Post by SoldieR »

If you wait for a vil to be idle you've already wasted lots of vil seconds of them walking to that spot and them the time it takes for you to notice idle vil and then assign it.

Anyway, it's preference.
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah

Post by macacoalbino »

WickedCossack wrote:
Hah this is one of those times where I thought I was saying something completely uncontroversial.

For reals though I understand how there can be optimizations with cycle queuing but in my honest opinion these are completely neglible relative to the apm required to perform it and reduced awareness. I think in the moments where you do need to queue up a villager in one TC only (like aging with multiple tcs) you can cycle to it and it doesn't justify cycle queing the whole game. Maybe this is needed in other RTS but here I am convinced it's not the optimal way for the apm of the current top player base.
This sounds like the discussion if terrans should use all military buildings in the same control group or have them separate in sc2. Turns out the consensus nowadays is that you just do both and have all the pros with basically no cons.

No Flag helln00
Howdah
ESO: helln00

Post by helln00 »

cycling works u just have to have the snap to find unit option selected. otherwise there is a delay as I found with tp cycling