DE ranked team lobbies (1v1 aswell?)

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.

Should team lobbies be ranked?

Yes
62%
No
30%
Both 1v1 and team should have ranked lobbies.
8%

Total votes: 93

Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Re: DE ranked team lobbies (1v1 aswell?)

Post by lemmings121 »

tbf, playing a couple casual team games in the old game was hell. if you arent pr 25+, you can only play deccan 3v3, if you were pr 25-30 only jailed games, and above that, just wait for hazza to login.

If they decide to change to allow hosted team games, I wont oppose that as I rarely play team.... but for 1v1 I really hope they keep only QS.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Honestly This might look as a good idea at the beginning, but when you think it deeper, we basicly don't need ranked team lobbies.

The main problem I find with team quicksearch is having to play against 2 dedicated teams when you just want to chill it alone, so I see your point there @Mitoe <3, It's not great to have a random team mate when you are playing against 2 tvb players. But overall, the abusage of playing with same circle is much worse than having a random team mate imo. We also need to let it go a little bit as the game is new and elo needs more days for more accuracy. as someone who remembers how many hours Kynesie and tit were waiting in legacy game just to find a room, I hope Quicksearch won't be useless anymore, maybe could improve the quicksearch by deciding which civ to pick when you match with your teammate and so on. For the last part, eventhough hazza doesn't have bad intentions here, the potential change making lobby games couraged will eventually turn out to same circle guys playing with each other all the time. And it already happened in the original game, Kynesie and tit were discluded from most of the games for example, opponent picking shouldn't be a thing when elo counts imo.
United States of America SoldieR
Pro Player
ESO: SoldieR

Post by SoldieR »

We can't even see if friends are online... asking for a lobby to differentiate 1v1 vs team and rank it accordingly seems like asking a lot.

I do agree though that the game in general, and team games especially, can die very quickly with the current ranked team games. How many competitive 3v3 teams are there even in this game? I would love to do random team games from times to time as ranked, but I would assume at this point that is just an automatic loss, unless you get really lucky.
Switzerland bobabu
Howdah

Post by bobabu »

Mitoe wrote:Maybe part of the problem is that there are no search options in the matchmaking system. Like the old quick search would let you select the PR range to search, so you could at least guarantee that you’re not going to waste your time vs someone 15 PR lower than you if you want.

If more options like this would probably help a lot. I at least would be willing to sit in a queue for 15-20 minutes if it meant I could get a game vs players of equal skill rather than people brand new to the game. And at a higher level, you would just keep going back into the queue as you do in lobbies on ESO.

Maybe that’s the solution? It would also help prevent lower players from getting paired vs unreasonably high-level opponents.
I don't understand all the crying about the ranked quick search and unranked game browser.

I mean let's be honest in tad the top players always played with the same guys.
Often they couldn't play with their mates and had to play 3v3 random. Otherwise, they scheduled to get a decent 2v2. The player base is just too small. I mean Mitoe complains about not getting a challenge but he q's up with two top players. You can easily get a challenge trust me. Just q up random 2v2, 3v3, 4v4 and tell your mates to do the same. Chances are high you will get in the same game with your friends, and both will get randoms. Now winning with the random will be difficult. If you don't like that just host a lobby and play with the players you know, just like you did before. Are the pixel points that important for the top players?
The few top players that this game has just don't represent the mass. You are insignificant. Just make a game lobby and play with the same guys you always played. I don't think you will need to be ranked for that, you know who you are and otherwise just check the solo ranked and it will give you an idea about the approximate rank. For most people, a ranked quick search is simply better. In the game browser, it's so easy to find a game because nobody tries so hard to balance it out.

It's the curse if you get too good at the game.
Just do it like Daut and Viper and try yourself at Age 2 DE.

@Hazza54321 if you wanna have a challenge just team q with me. You will be able to rage just like in the good old days.
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: wardyb1

Post by wardyb1 »

Acting like ranked lobbies would revert to 3v3 Deccan is bit of obtuse view. Deccan was popular at the ms-lieut level because it a pretty guaranteed balanced map, made early age 1 easier for worse players and allowed for strats/civs that aren't as viable on regular maps. That probably wouldn't occur nearly as much on DE with much better maps and continued balance of civs. In the end, we all know just how quickly one weak player in a game can ruin the experience for all involved.

Unless the q's can stay heavily populated (also remember timezones exist) then team qs will eventually badly damage team games. Also there is something to be said for a loss of community/banter etc. in not having a lobby most of the time while waiting. If I'm waiting 5 min for a game, I'd at least like to do it in a lobby.
“To love the journey is to accept no such end. I have found, through painful experience, that the most important step a person can take is always the next one.”
Switzerland bobabu
Howdah

Post by bobabu »

wardyb1 wrote:Acting like ranked lobbies would revert to 3v3 Deccan is bit of obtuse view. Deccan was popular at the ms-lieut level because it a pretty guaranteed balanced map, made early age 1 easier for worse players and allowed for strats/civs that aren't as viable on regular maps. That probably wouldn't occur nearly as much on DE with much better maps and continued balance of civs. In the end, we all know just how quickly one weak player in a game can ruin the experience for all involved.

Unless the q's can stay heavily populated (also remember timezones exist) then team qs will eventually badly damage team games. Also, there is something to be said for a loss of community/banter etc. in not having a lobby most of the time while waiting. If I'm waiting 5 min for a game, I'd at least like to do it in a lobby.
Well, in the end, the top players will just isolate themselves and endlessly play against each other. Everybody else will not get a chance to improve and play against better players. The top players aren't even interested in helping others to get better in the game anymore. Didn't used to be this way.
If you are a top team player you should let captains play in the game. And when they suck you should tell them how to improve. And maybe the top scene will have a chance to grow. Maybe the player base is just too small after all though.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

@bobabu spot on
mad cuz bad
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by wardyb1 »

I disagree that top team players aka lt col/col should have to let captains play with them. If it isn't fun for me to play with ms players then why would it be fun for them to play with captains. No one has a responsibility to teach others or tell others how to improve. If anything it is an incredibly draining experience when players aren't entirely interested in improving their play. If players want to join these games they should become good enough players to do so. Also with a larger player base on DE then there will be more captain/major (equivalent) lobbies that give people a chance to grow and then reach these top team lobbies.
“To love the journey is to accept no such end. I have found, through painful experience, that the most important step a person can take is always the next one.”
Suriname kaister
Lancer
ECL Reigning Champs
ESO: I Date My Cousin

Post by kaister »

I've played maybe 15 team games and have yet to have one where I wasn't 100% sure I was gonna win or lose.
India drsingh
Dragoon
ESO: drsingh

Post by drsingh »

There is a problem. But this is not the solution.
France scorpion145
Crossbow
ESO: scorpion145

Post by scorpion145 »

Zutazuta wrote:I like the idea of having the QS queue work as it is currently implemented, but in practice, I don't think there are enough evenly skilled players searching at any given time to make it work in a competitive way. Maybe with a good interface as suggested (where you can see who is currently slotted into the queue, etc.) you could find a balanced method that fixes the current problems with ranked team games.
there is many more players on aoe 2 DE and it's the same probleme with the TG i have stop played month ago because you don't have any interference with your team mate and more them half the game are stupide with 2 1500 elo ( 1v1 ) against 2 1000 elo.
So it's not about the number of player but more about the QS for TG is made, the easier way is to make lobbie or have a massive change
European Union Scroogie
Lancer
ESO: Scroogie
GameRanger ID: 10056919

Post by Scroogie »

Yea and please make it possible to see people's rank in the lobby. I only play QS because casual is about as interesting as comp-stomp.
Me being slightly ahead vs H2O: Image
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

i dont get how u can think this https://www.twitch.tv/videos/784955511 is a good idea. Conscript in literally everygame
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Hazza54321 wrote:i dont get how u can think this https://www.twitch.tv/videos/784955511 is a good idea. Conscript in literally everygame
drsingh wrote:There is a problem. But this is not the solution.
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by wardyb1 »

deleted_user wrote:
Hazza54321 wrote:i dont get how u can think this https://www.twitch.tv/videos/784955511 is a good idea. Conscript in literally everygame
So what is the solution? I'm just surprised that so many people are anti-lobbies despite the fact that it worked pretty damn well on legacy. Were high level players ever excluded from high level team games because someone was trying to farm rank?
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

wardyb1 wrote:Were high level players ever excluded from high level team games because someone was trying to farm rank?
Yes, Kynesie and Tit are the best examples why you should never ever implement ranked team lobby for this game again. Legacy game always had a high level circle which wouldn't welcome new strategy and players, for example khorixt would never be allowed to play high level teamgames if he was active at legacy game but now you admit it and try to counter his strategy.. Making ranked lobbies back again won't help anyone but only a group of semi ff circle guys.

wardyb1 wrote:it worked pretty damn well on legacy.
DO YOU EVEN KNOW HOW MANY WEEKS/MONTHS/YEARS KYNESIE AND TIT WERE DISCLUDED FROM THE HIGH LEVEL CIRCLE? AND YET YOU CALL THE SYSTEM WAS WORKING PRETTY WELL LMAO..
French Southern Territories kevinitalien
Lancer
ESO: KEVINITALIEN
Clan: PLOP

Post by kevinitalien »

deleted_user wrote:
drsingh wrote:Were high level players ever excluded from high level team games because someone was trying to farm rank?
Yes, Kynesie and Tit are the best examples why you should never ever implement ranked team lobby for this game again. Legacy game always had a high level circle which wouldn't welcome new strategy and players, for example khorixt would never be allowed to play high level teamgames if he was active at legacy game but now you admit it and try to counter his strategy.. Making ranked lobbies back again won't help anyone but only a group of semi ff circle guys.

drsingh wrote:it worked pretty damn well on legacy.
DO YOU EVEN KNOW HOW MANY WEEKS/MONTHS/YEARS KYNESIE AND TIT WERE DISCLUDED FROM THE HIGH LEVEL CIRCLE? AND YET YOU CALL THE SYSTEM WAS WORKING PRETTY WELL LMAO..
we need classified lobby, to face conscripts in each search for qs you may like but not for everyone, and even the case of kynesie and tit, I'm not sure they want to face conscripts at each qs
Image Image
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

kevinitalien wrote:
deleted_user wrote:
drsingh wrote:Were high level players ever excluded from high level team games because someone was trying to farm rank?

drsingh wrote:it worked pretty damn well on legacy.
we need classified lobby, to face conscripts in each search for qs you may like but not for everyone, and even the case of kynesie and tit, I'm not sure they want to face conscripts at each qs
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by wardyb1 »

deleted_user wrote:
wardyb1 wrote:Were high level players ever excluded from high level team games because someone was trying to farm rank?
Yes, Kynesie and Tit are the best example why you should never ever implement ranked team lobby for this game again. Legacy game always had a high level circle which wouldn't welcome new strategy and players, for example khorixt would never be allowed to play high level teamgames if he was active at legacy game but now you admit it and try to counter his strategy.. Making ranked lobbies back again won't help anyone but only a group of semi ff circle guys.

Weren't Tit and Kynesie pretty much discluded due to lag being a serious issue? I know many people didn't like their playstyle but I know the lag issues often plagued them. Maybe I'm misremembering. I believe they may have fixed those issues in the past year or whatever but I'm not really thinking there were even that many high level team games recently. I'm more thinking of the days of Veni running the scene. When was the last time their were 6 colonels in a team game on legacy? Genuine question for the high level players. Maybe @Hazza54321 can answer.

As for Khorix, well I'm of the personal opinion that someone who exclusively implements strats that just outright ruin the fun of the game and is excluded for it isn't that big of an issue. Now obviously you could argue that with a proper ladder and stuff that everyone should be tryharding and doing whatever it takes to win, but personally I'd say there is a line there and he probably crosses it. This isn't the sort of game like LOL or CS where people actually have some pathway to pro, so there is no need for people to cross that line to the detriment of the game.
French Southern Territories kevinitalien
Lancer
ESO: KEVINITALIEN

Post by kevinitalien »

deleted_user wrote:
kevinitalien wrote:
Show hidden quotes
this is the solution, otherwise facing people much weaker than you will improve your elo, and even if its improves your elo, you are not sure to face good players
Image Image
Hong Kong Leafy
Crossbow

Post by Leafy »

kevinitalien wrote:
deleted_user wrote:
Show hidden quotes
this is the solution, otherwise facing people much weaker than you will improve your elo, and even if its improves your elo, you are not sure to face good players
I agree with this one, it is reasonable that only ranked games in quicksearch are held, preventing picking favorite matchups and maps.
The problem is the matching, classifying beginners' room (maybe pr 1-20, dunno the elo system), normal room (pr 18-28), veteran room (pr 25-35) and expert room (pr 32~) will help improve the matching.
However, I am worrying the decreasing player amount for now will cause like waiting half an hour for just a game. Those bugs and balance issue must be fixed asap.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

wardyb1 wrote:
deleted_user wrote:
Yes, Kynesie and Tit are the best example why you should never ever implement ranked team lobby for this game again. Legacy game always had a high level circle which wouldn't welcome new strategy and players, for example khorixt would never be allowed to play high level teamgames if he was active at legacy game but now you admit it and try to counter his strategy.. Making ranked lobbies back again won't help anyone but only a group of semi ff circle guys.

Weren't Tit and Kynesie pretty much discluded due to lag being a serious issue? I know many people didn't like their playstyle but I know the lag issues often plagued them. Maybe I'm misremembering. I believe they may have fixed those issues in the past year or whatever but I'm not really thinking there were even that many high level team games recently. I'm more thinking of the days of Veni running the scene. When was the last time their were 6 colonels in a team game on legacy? Genuine question for the high level players. Maybe @Hazza54321 can answer.
At first it was because of the lag, both of them fixed their lag since 2 years but they were still boycotted in the high level era, if kynesie joins a room he would either get kicked or host would cancel the game, there was even a team invitational last year where kynesie/tit and my team weren't invited for obvious reasons and just same circle guys played with each other same strat/playstyle. Ranked team lobby meanas back to the full of deccan games, do we want it? Defenitely No.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Leafy wrote:
kevinitalien wrote:
Show hidden quotes
I agree with this one, it is reasonable that only ranked games in quicksearch are held, preventing picking favorite matchups and maps.
The problem is the matching, classifying beginners' room (maybe pr 1-20, dunno the elo system), normal room (pr 18-28), veteran room (pr 25-35) and expert room (pr 32~) will help improve the matching.
However, I am worrying the decreasing player amount for now will cause like waiting half an hour for just a game. Those bugs and balance issue must be fixed asap.
I agree, a better qs classifying would help to deal with these issues.
France flontier
Lancer
Intermediate Division Winner
ESO: Flontier

Post by flontier »

I dont get it, how are people supposed to do in ranked team lobby to make team fair ^^ ? judging player level with elo looks the only solution right ? so same story than in qs ?
Germany blasdg
Dragoon

Post by blasdg »

I have several problems with the team QS system:

1. I played with an old mate of me and he is currently 10:0 Top 25 of the team ladder, I am rank 250ish even though I am much better than him at the moment - the ELO system is broken as fuck, 60% of my losses were connection losses or the game went OOS when we were winning. Whenever I queue with him I get weak opponents and I can win 1vs2 if needed. Whenever I team up with another mate who is also 250ish we get the likes of top30 team ladder. Literally EVERY single time, the qs takes the number of played games into consideration and I think it rates it higher than the actual ELO of both players.

2. When we queue for 3v3 we win in 90% of all times and the opponents are sooo bad. Even in the rare cases when they have like 1550+ rating, the fact that we are sitting in teamspeak and they dont even know each other means that its so easy to win these games. There is no solution to this other than having a seperate ladder for random teams and predefined teams.

3. I want to have rated lobbies back. Fuck tit and kynesie, they are laggers, cheaters, smurfed in tournaments and play the game in the most obnoxious way ever. I played vs them during the last years and BOI was it annoying, lost some games, won some games but it was frustrating as hell. You say they cant find games with rated lobbies? Dont care tbh. Khorix in team is trash anyways so dont care about him either.

4. We absolutely need search options if we dont get rated lobbies back. The system as it is right now is just broken lol.