DE ranked team lobbies (1v1 aswell?)

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.

Should team lobbies be ranked?

Yes
62%
No
30%
Both 1v1 and team should have ranked lobbies.
8%

Total votes: 93

Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Re: DE ranked team lobbies (1v1 aswell?)

Post by Riotcoke »

I honestly don't think you guys just realise how much of a problem lobby being rated was in the original

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Riotcoke wrote:I honestly don't think you guys just realise how much of a problem lobby being rated was in the original
Yea every just took for granted that rank didn’t matter at all, cause anyone who want rank could just abuse one of the hundred different ways ranked lobby let you gain rank.
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor

Post by Riotcoke »

Also thank fuck you can't resign before 2 minutes now that shit was so bullshit

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

gibson wrote:
Hazza54321 wrote:You kinda just answered your own question. Theyre big games with a big player base
Yea like I said thats the only issue I see, and that issue is only relevant for top players. Kaiser was talking about how this was bad for low players which is just not correct.
In fact, players below 1lt should be happy now, in legacy game they were all forced to play 3v3 deccan games all the time lol.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Whatever, you'll see when ranked team games just die I guess. Can't wait for everyone to get pissed about waiting alone in queue until you get unfair teams with unfair match ups.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor

Post by Riotcoke »

I just wanna know if the guys who are complaining have actually ever played another game with Match Making.

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Great Britain WickedCossack
Retired Contributor

Post by WickedCossack »

I think the best solution would be if DE could fix everyone's current grievances through the quicksearch system. Whether they would be commited to do that is rather doubtful in which case ranked team lobbys > crappy QS.

In theory though I do believe this is possible. Fixing the elo matchmaking is obvious but you could also have a mechanic (like in aoe2 and other well known games) where you get a minute to choose your civ after you know your team mates. Hence if you get a well known top mate you could go Spain to complement something they are doing, otherwise if mate a bit lower you can choose a carry civ. Chat and social aspects can certainly be extended, made more visible/accessible across the online platform. Not sure the best method for it but anything is better than the current ...
Sweden Challe
Musketeer
ESO: Challe

Post by Challe »

In aoe2DE is still same issue. When I played it this summer, on some occasions when not many ppl online I could team up with low elo and its simply unplayable. I understand the frustration from Hazzas side.

But aoe3 has so few decent players it will be impossible to play the team QS and have enjoyable high quality team games, which are really fun. I think only solution is to make a separate rating for decent players, but good luck with getting that done. Some sort of bracket system.

Altho now that I think of it, in aoe2de theres a separate rating from ranked called "unranked". Id say that if there is this kind of rating in aoe3de after a while you would know who the decent players are on this list and just use that as a proper team game rating. And youd know who the noobs are who abuse to reach high "unranked rating"
No Flag Smurf_z
Crossbow

Post by Smurf_z »

back to trusty EP for ranked lobbies. 115
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

Had a splendid evening with @Hawk_Girl @corne98 @stanleywinston @Aykin Haraka @kaister @tim_retek @fare and @mongo10 on the masterpiece known as age of empires 3 the asian dynasties
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

If I ever go back to Legacy I think I'll download a zoom mod ngl.
Germany Rohbrot
Howdah
ECL Reigning Champs
ESO: Rohbrot

Post by Rohbrot »

Back to Legacy, baby.
Spain pain train is real
No Flag Smurf_z
Crossbow

Post by Smurf_z »

deleted_user wrote:If I ever go back to Legacy I think I'll download a zoom mod ngl.
dont think it works on ep mate :sad: will be good for 3v3 deccan though :chinese:
Sweden Hawk_Girl
Dragoon
Donator 01

Post by Hawk_Girl »

Riotcoke wrote:I honestly don't think you guys just realise how much of a problem lobby being rated was in the original
I honestly don't think you guys just realize how much better, faster and easier it is to get a GOOD game when hosted. How much have you been on team qs on DE?
Netherlands don_artie
Dragoon
ESO: don artie

Post by don_artie »

I think that the best solution would be that you can only queue into team games alone, and then get matched with people around your elo. If you wanna play with mates there is the game browser for that. Right now you can't play team games alone because you just end up with 2 noobs vs a 3 man squad that you can't beat. So people that like team games but have no mates online (or no mates whatsoever) can't play at all. I want to be able to just play when I feel like it without having to worry about playing unfair games. It's kinda like when I compare it to RE I wouldn't play the tvb games vs a full squad i'd just play the lobby where everyone is random teams.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Riotcoke wrote:I just wanna know if the guys who are complaining have actually ever played another game with Match Making.
I don't understand why you'd compare aoe3 to a game with probably 10x the playerbase and actual balanced match ups
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
United States of America Sensei
Skirmisher

Post by Sensei »

Not being able to balance the teams and civs with QS is very annoying. Waiting 8 minutes and matching with players who don't know the game at all is not very fun. Games are just stomps if they even launch at all which happens only about 50% of the time.
Sweden Hawk_Girl
Dragoon
Donator 01

Post by Hawk_Girl »

sure let's not have friends be able to team up together. great fucking idea, im sure now everyone will jump at the opportunity to play team
Switzerland bobabu
Howdah

Post by bobabu »

Yes adding an unranked rank would be nice. Instead of a number, I'd prefer an approximate though. So if your rank is top 1-20 you are tier 1 if your rank is top 20-40 you are tier 2 and so forth. The tiers should be bigger the lower you go this will help the top players finding a fair matchup while not ruining the lower players experience by trying to fully balance the game. So there's an approximate while at the same time people will not try to balance the team down to every single elo point. Adding the old ranks back with a similar system would be nice also. Like top 10 players are field marshall. Have more different ranks at the top than at the bottom. So the master sergeant rank is for example rank 400 to 700.
Austria MukkPuKing
Crossbow
ESO: MukkPuKing

Post by MukkPuKing »

How does matchmaking work in the Team QS?
Is the rank ("elo") considered while matching up teams? Or first come first served - the first 6 players in the queue are simply tossed into a 3v3 - regardless of their playing skills...
Is the same for 1v1 QS?
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

MukkPuKing wrote:How does matchmaking work in the Team QS?
Is the rank ("elo") considered while matching up teams? Or first come first served - the first 6 players in the queue are simply tossed into a 3v3 - regardless of their playing skills...
Is the same for 1v1 QS?
Elo plays a part. It appears that every ~2 mins in queue, the acceptable Elo range for pairing is increased... until 7-8 mins in queue when it will disregard Elo completely and pair you up with whoever else is in queue.

It seems to take average team Elos.

I've noticed (because my opponent was streaming too), that after I had been in queue for 8 mins already, but he had only just queued in (40 seconds) we still matched, despite being 300 Elo apart. It seems if you've been in queue for 7 mins you don't have to wait to be paired with someone who has ALSO been in queue for 7 mins.
Austria MukkPuKing
Crossbow
ESO: MukkPuKing

Post by MukkPuKing »

deleted_user wrote:
MukkPuKing wrote:How does matchmaking work in the Team QS?
Is the same for 1v1 QS?
Elo plays a part. It appears that every ~2 mins in queue, the acceptable Elo range for pairing is increased... until 7-8 mins in queue when it will disregard Elo completely and pair you up with whoever else is in queue.

It seems to take average team Elos.

I've noticed (because my opponent was streaming too), that after I had been in queue for 8 mins already, but he had only just queued in (40 seconds) we still matched, despite being 300 Elo apart. It seems if you've been in queue for 7 mins you don't have to wait to be paired with someone who has ALSO been in queue for 7 mins.
Hmm. 300 ELO seems a lot to me. Kind of like 6-7 PR difference in the Legacy game?