Maybe could we see map before picking civ ?

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
No Flag big_bada
Crossbow
ESO: Big_bada

Maybe could we see map before picking civ ?

Post by big_bada »

Soooooooooooo i'll bring it again , but i don't get why cant we fucking see the map before we need to start a game ??? what s the fucking point of getting rekt even before the game start because the map is borneo or indonesia , its just stupid and not competitive. If you add that to the fact that 100% of matches are inca or ottomans what is the point of even looking for a 1v1 QS ?

I would add , what is the point of even lauching this game since even the team QS is pathetic but that's not the point of the topic
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Re: Maybe could we see map before picking civ ?

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Ye, QS should put you in a lobby where you have to play (else you lose points), but you know the map and both have to pick civs.
Poland Nemo
Crossbow

Post by Nemo »

Why not just give player like 3 bans on his own civ, 3 bans on his opponent's civ and do a random matchup from the leftovers? Plus strict map pool with possibly couple of bans as well. It would promote diversity and create ladder environment, slightly different from the tournament one. All of this could be done from the lobby level, before you even click into the game so that you don't have to waste time before each game and it eliminates most of unfair advantages. Sure, it would be a bit more random, but hey, ladder in majority of games is supposed to be fast-paced, across-the-board test of skill that compares players over big sample size.
Poland Nemo
Crossbow

Post by Nemo »

Additionally, it would help to offset possible balance problems and 'broken' civs in case of any future patches
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

I agree and as I’ve been posting in every beta, just make the matchmaking look like aoe2. Small map pool, unique for different game modes, map bans, change civ when you connect to the lobby.
mad cuz bad
France chronique
Advanced Player
ESO: poissondu44

Post by chronique »

Nemo wrote:Why not just give player like 3 bans on his own civ, 3 bans on his opponent's civ and do a random matchup from the leftovers?
Cause if they do that, i will stop playing this game lol.

Imagine if i can't play spain lol, very bad idea.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:Ye, QS should put you in a lobby where you have to play (else you lose points), but you know the map and both have to pick civs.
So what happens if players can't agree on civ? Is it blind pick for both after 1 minute or something?
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
Canada Cocaine
Lancer
ESO: Cow God

Post by Cocaine »

Nemo wrote:Additionally, it would help to offset possible balance problems and 'broken' civs in case of any future patches
Blanty krence bo poto mam rence
A little Cocaine never hurt nobody!

Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

ovi12 wrote:
[Armag] diarouga wrote:Ye, QS should put you in a lobby where you have to play (else you lose points), but you know the map and both have to pick civs.
So what happens if players can't agree on civ? Is it blind pick for both after 1 minute or something?
Yea short countdown timer to blindpick if nothing is agreed with.
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

ovi12 wrote:
You are blind picking against the map. You can’t see their civ.
mad cuz bad
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

In beta I even suggested to copy aoe2 matchmaking (random the map, then pick civ). But now, im not that sure its a great idea. Wouldn't it be boring to get highplains then indonesia and imediatelly be forced into oto then port mirror, and you just have to play that mu or be in a disadvantage? Like, soon a meta develop and you always see the same civs on each map.

Idk, maybe old blindpick random qs isnt the most fair, but is kinda fun.... Im divided in this question, idk if I want it changed or not....
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

lemmings121 wrote:In beta I even suggested to copy aoe2 matchmaking (random the map, then pick civ). But now, im not that sure its a great idea. Wouldn't it be boring to get highplains then indonesia and imediatelly be forced into oto then port mirror, and you just have to play that mu or be in a disadvantage? Like, soon a meta develop and you always see the same civs on each map.

Idk, maybe old blindpick random qs isnt the most fair, but is kinda fun.... Im divided in this question, idk if I want it changed or not....
IDK, I thought about that. I think you'd see some creative counter stuff then.
mad cuz bad
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

n0el wrote:
ovi12 wrote:
You are blind picking against the map. You can’t see their civ.
Your option seems better; and just see the map, not even the opponent. It'd be annoying to potentially have a civ dance every time you play.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

n0el wrote:
lemmings121 wrote:In beta I even suggested to copy aoe2 matchmaking (random the map, then pick civ). But now, im not that sure its a great idea. Wouldn't it be boring to get highplains then indonesia and imediatelly be forced into oto then port mirror, and you just have to play that mu or be in a disadvantage? Like, soon a meta develop and you always see the same civs on each map.

IDK, I thought about that. I think you'd see some creative counter stuff then.
Well we didn't really see it in tournaments, I'm afraid same thing will happen in QS.
No Flag bart331
Lancer
Donator 01

Post by bart331 »

This Will nvr work, game search Will take forever, ook Will disconnect from their match in lobby.

Whats wrong with current setup? Pick a civ and have fun! One of the best things of AOE3 is the variety in civs and with the variety in maps it means every game can become totally different. And please praise the current balance and the ability to find a game, it used to be wat worse
India _DB_
Howdah

Post by _DB_ »

I've a stupid question. But why are people so bothered about the map, opponent civ?

What's the point of the learning the game if you are going to shit your pants seeing an Ottoman opponent on New England?

Agreed there are bad matchups. Some MUs are horrible. But it makes no sense for people to avoid the bad matchups altogether. You came online because you want to play, you want to learn, and enjoy. It is supposed to be a relaxation routine. Winning is overrated.
You hate losing after playing a match? Normal and understandable.
You love winning after playing a match? Normal and understandable.

You hate losing and love winning even before you began the match? You need help. Change this perspective.

Think AoE 3 as if it is real life. In real life, you get bad problems, unfair matchups, bad people, bad places. You can't even choose them. There is no point running away.
Doing what you like is Freedom...
Liking what you do is Happiness...
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

_DB_ wrote: You hate losing and love winning even before you began the match? You need help. Change this perspective.
You don't have to love winning before the game begins, but it's normal and understandable to hate losing even before you began the match.
Germany Rohbrot
Howdah
ECL Reigning Champs
ESO: Rohbrot

Post by Rohbrot »

chronique wrote:
Nemo wrote:Why not just give player like 3 bans on his own civ, 3 bans on his opponent's civ and do a random matchup from the leftovers?
Cause if they do that, i will stop playing this game lol.

Imagine if i can't play spain lol, very bad idea.
You play france and haudensanouen also :love:
Spain pain train is real
France chronique
Advanced Player

Post by chronique »

Rohbrot wrote: You play france and haudensanouen also :love:
Not france (i just know how play them but they are boring), but i like dutch, i played them recently and i have a good feeling.
Great Britain Black_Duck
Dragoon
ESO: Tom
Clan: DUKC

Post by Black_Duck »

chronique wrote:
Not france (i just know how play them but they are boring), but i like dutch, i played them recently and i have a good feeling.
Is that one of those good feelings in your trousers?
Challenged_Macro wrote: Respect Mussolini guys,if hes triggered there is always a reason.
Mussolini wrote: I hope corona gets you, your family and all your fuckin relatives as you fuckin deserve it for being cocky
Germany Rohbrot
Howdah
ECL Reigning Champs
ESO: Rohbrot

Post by Rohbrot »

Black_Duck wrote:
chronique wrote:
Is that one of those good feelings in your trousers?
@Black_Duck amazed how u get the sentence from @chronique to ur dirty jokes :uglylol:
Spain pain train is real
France chronique
Advanced Player

Post by chronique »

Lol pls stay on topic ^_^
Great Britain Black_Duck
Dragoon
ESO: Tom
Clan: DUKC

Post by Black_Duck »

_DB_ wrote:I've a stupid question. But why are people so bothered about the map, opponent civ?

What's the point of the learning the game if you are going to shit your pants seeing an Ottoman opponent on New England?

Agreed there are bad matchups. Some MUs are horrible. But it makes no sense for people to avoid the bad matchups altogether. You came online because you want to play, you want to learn, and enjoy. It is supposed to be a relaxation routine. Winning is overrated.
You hate losing after playing a match? Normal and understandable.
You love winning after playing a match? Normal and understandable.

You hate losing and love winning even before you began the match? You need help. Change this perspective.

Think AoE 3 as if it is real life. In real life, you get bad problems, unfair matchups, bad people, bad places. You can't even choose them. There is no point running away.
No point wasting your time either, not that im for seeing map
Challenged_Macro wrote: Respect Mussolini guys,if hes triggered there is always a reason.
Mussolini wrote: I hope corona gets you, your family and all your fuckin relatives as you fuckin deserve it for being cocky
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah
ESO: MacacoAlbino
Clan: 3Huss

Post by macacoalbino »

Just make it like SC2, make your vetos, chose your civ and go.

Edit: the idea to copy age 2 would be terribad. Imagine being forced to play against 2-3 meta civs everygame because they are good in the map given to you...
I'd be down to have something like a 10 map pool with 3 vetos each side to avoid playing stupid 10 TP maps with dutch or heavy water map with France for example