DE Civ tier team

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
Switzerland bobabu
Howdah

DE Civ tier team

Post by bobabu »

People only ever talk about 1v1 tier civs. I think team behaves rather differently because it's impossible to stop at least one player from scaling.

For example, Germans just don't scale well in team games but they are very good at 1v1.

Changes to a civ should always address team balance and 1v1 balance. Making a civ weaker in 1v1 should be compensated in team games.
Hong Kong Leafy
Crossbow

Re: DE Civ tier team

Post by Leafy »

Here is my list of team games:

Tier S: British, Japan
Tier A: Dutch, French, German, Portuguese, Inca, Sweden
Tier B: China, India, Ottoman, Lakota, Haudenosaunee
Tier C: Spain, Russia, Aztec

I am not sure about Sweden after the nerf, giving them A because of their economy.

Brit is the most op civ in team with crazy econ and very good units. I may rank it SS if possible.
Spain is lack of good team cards. Russia is quite weird, maybe they should also have the 5% food gathering bonus like ports.
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

S: Inca(?), Japan
A+: British
A: Russia, India, Dutch, Portuguese
B: French, German, Lakota, China, Ottomans, Sweden(?)
C+: Haudenosaunee
C: Spanish
D: Aztec
India _DB_
Howdah

Post by _DB_ »

Leafy wrote:Here is my list of team games:

I am not sure about Sweden after the nerf, giving them A because of their economy.

Brit is the most op civ in team with crazy econ and very good units. I may rank it SS if possible.
Spain is lack of good team cards. Russia is quite weird, maybe they should also have the 5% food gathering bonus like ports.
Russia is probably a top tier civ in team games. It is atleast tier A. I believe that hasn't changed much in DE. They just take time to scale well. They get annoying as fuck to beat in age 4 when Opris roam the map. It is just as annoying as Shogun and Daimyo pooping mortaru and ashi in your base lol.

Back on RE, it was almost impossible to beat a team of French, Japan and Russia in 3v3.

Agree that Spain is not good in team games. Though it should be a little better with Spanish gold but overall they just lack proper late game units.

I wonder what would be the strongest team combinations on DE.
Doing what you like is Freedom...
Liking what you do is Happiness...
Hong Kong Leafy
Crossbow

Post by Leafy »

_DB_ wrote:
Leafy wrote:Here is my list of team games:

Russia is probably a top tier civ in team games. It is atleast tier A. I believe that hasn't changed much in DE. They just take time to scale well. They get annoying as fuck to beat in age 4 when Opris roam the map. It is just as annoying as Shogun and Daimyo pooping mortaru and ashi in your base lol.

Back on RE, it was almost impossible to beat a team of French, Japan and Russia in 3v3.

Agree that Spain is not good in team games. Though it should be a little better with Spanish gold but overall they just lack proper late game units.

I wonder what would be the strongest team combinations on DE.
Yea probably my problem of not using them correctly, I am used to age up with 17vils rather than 14 in RE. It is quite difficult to produce vils and military at the same time, and they need huge amount of food.

Mid-game and late-game Russia is strong indeed, I should rate them at least Tier B.

I think late-game Spain units are acceptable with unction, They have differentiate units which can cooperate with teammates, especially pikes for buildings and lancers for infantry. They just lack a good team card for a contribution to team, the hand infantry attack card is useless.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Mitoe wrote:S: Inca(?), Japan
B: French, German, Lakota, China, Ottomans, Sweden
I think this is very accurate.
Isn't Swe A tier ? Idk, haven't played it since the nerf.
Canada Mitoe

Post by Mitoe »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:
Mitoe wrote:S: Inca(?), Japan
B: French, German, Lakota, China, Ottomans, Sweden
I think this is very accurate.
Isn't Swe A tier ? Idk, haven't played it since the nerf.
Not really sure, never seen them played by a really good player in team. I feel like they're B Tier because their unit comp is really limited (maybe leather cannons can be good though?), and the melee shenanigans is less impactful when there's 2x more ranged infantry to kite it on the other side. They also fall off super hard in the mid-late transition when the mines run out.

Could be A Tier for sure, just no information for me.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

I played them a bit and they get an insane eco/mass in middle game. And you can spam mercenaries imo. Jaeger/black rider is a pretty good unit composition if you don't want to make caroleans.
The carolean play is a stronger version of the brit musk mass imo. You have a stronger eco and a fast age up politician to fortress.
Canada Mitoe

Post by Mitoe »

Is your eco actually stronger than Brit? I guess if you can get all Torps on mines? But the Ironworks card was nerfed to 125% I think, so maybe not anymore. Also you lack the 5v shipment.
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

S: Japan, port
A+: sweden
A: dutch, brit, india, inca, russia
B: French, German, Lakota, Aztec
C: china, Haudenosaunee, otto
D: Spanish
Germany AndiAOE
Skirmisher
ESO: mk8by8bcity

Post by AndiAOE »

Mitoe wrote:Is your eco actually stronger than Brit? I guess if you can get all Torps on mines? But the Ironworks card was nerfed to 125% I think, so maybe not anymore. Also you lack the 5v shipment.

so i played sweden for 10-15 games in tgs and the only time i didnt have max ress was, when my tc got destroyed at 10 minutes. The sweden boom still is insane. Combined with the carolean (which still dont have a hard counter) you can just run around forever with caros and boom. Also once all your caro upgrades/cards kick in you have a sick power spike again
Andorra flutelrut
Crossbow
ESO: Flutelrut

Post by flutelrut »

Hazza54321 wrote:S: Japan, port
Why Otto C tier??? For Jani dependent?
PEPPERONI PIZZA :food:
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player

Post by Hazza54321 »

flutelrut wrote:
Hazza54321 wrote:S: Japan, port
Why Otto C tier??? For Jani dependent?
Bad eco, nerfed units, map depedant, immobile army, need good teammates.
Great Britain WickedCossack
Retired Contributor

Post by WickedCossack »

What's with all the low German rankings?

They get back their super efficient age 2 cav vs cav trading and can now train and use uhlans in big fights and they are 10th? That can't be right surely.
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player

Post by Hazza54321 »

the civs werent in any particular order just in tiers
Retired Contributor

Post by WickedCossack »

Still 9th at best on your list! Am I missing something or can we move them to A tier?
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player

Post by Hazza54321 »

well are germans better than the civs in the A tier?
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

AndiAOE wrote:
Mitoe wrote:Is your eco actually stronger than Brit? I guess if you can get all Torps on mines? But the Ironworks card was nerfed to 125% I think, so maybe not anymore. Also you lack the 5v shipment.

so i played sweden for 10-15 games in tgs and the only time i didnt have max ress was, when my tc got destroyed at 10 minutes. The sweden boom still is insane. Combined with the carolean (which still dont have a hard counter) you can just run around forever with caros and boom. Also once all your caro upgrades/cards kick in you have a sick power spike again
Thanks! I might try this particular strategy.
[Sith] - Baphomet
Retired Contributor

Post by WickedCossack »

Hazza54321 wrote:well are germans better than the civs in the A tier?
I think the uhlan hp that breaks the huss/musk hit counts would make them better than all there (well idk Inca) but guess I can find out. It's just such a huge change thats more helpful in team because you don't need to do 1v1 defense stuff as much like building bows age 2 and can focus on the one boosted unit.

I enjoy playing Germans in team anyhows so if no one is bothered much by them then all good. :lol:
France Le Hussard sur le toit
Howdah
ESO: LeHussardsurletoit

Post by Le Hussard sur le toit »

Well looking at the tier lists by top players like Hazza, Mitoe and diarouga there seem to be an surprising lack of consensus on the state of balance on DE, even for old legacy civs.
ESOC : came for the game, stayed for the drama.
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player

Post by Hazza54321 »

WickedCossack wrote:
Hazza54321 wrote:well are germans better than the civs in the A tier?
I think the uhlan hp that breaks the huss/musk hit counts would make them better than all there (well idk Inca) but guess I can find out. It's just such a huge change thats more helpful in team because you don't need to do 1v1 defense stuff as much like building bows age 2 and can focus on the one boosted unit.
I enjoy playing Germans in team anyhows so if no one is bothered much by them then all good. :lol:
Maybe youre right, i could make them work with 180hp, i guess its just a long time since i experienced real uhlans
Howdah

It's quite bad to change breakpoints like that, since they tend to make a whole class of units or builds go from good to bad in one change. Better make soft change on stats that move on a continuum - xp nerf is a good example, but changing the base gather rate is something that should be at least discussed.
Germany AndiAOE
Skirmisher
ESO: mk8by8bcity

Post by AndiAOE »

Snuden wrote:
AndiAOE wrote:

Thanks! I might try this particular strategy.
Here is the Video and the Steam Guide if you are stuck:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 2284799028
Howdah

It's a bit sad that there are no team bonus for civs in age 3 like there were in age 2. It would make team games more interesting because of more interaction between civs and could also be a way to balance civs that are in a different tier in team and 1v1. For example ports are super strong in team games and would have a small team bonus, while Germany is weakish in team and could have a stronger bonus.

Possible bonus could be things like : Ports - teammates can build one TC in age 2. Or cheaper TCs ?
French : teammates cav train slightly faster.
India : inspiration and healing abilities as well as karnimata aura affect friendly civs (could also make it work somehow for mansabdar units, like mansabdar sepoys affect all musket-type units.
Sioux : all cav units are slightly faster. WC aura affect friendly units.
Azzy : WC aura affect friendly units.
Iro : WC aura affect friendly units (with a lesser bonus like 5% obviously)
Japan : Daymyos/Shogun aura affects friendly units (with a lesser bonus).
Germany : something that grant some free cav to allied civs in some circonstances.
British : I don't have a good idea. Cheaper houses ?
Russia : all friendly military units cheaper by 3% or train faster.
Otto : all vills cheaper by 10%.
China : teammates houses can now receive shipments/garnison vills.
Dutch : faster gold gathering for friendly civs.
Spain : faster shipments for friendly civs.
Inca : stronger building (obviously).
Swede : friendly civs can now train merc after sending the corresponding shipment.
Austria Jerimuno
Advanced Player
ESO: Jerimuno
GameRanger ID: 9241516

Post by Jerimuno »

Mitoe's list would be my understanding as well, just with port in A+ and india in B

Inca idk it's a dumb civ, i guess A+ cause you can sit in base and raid with unsnarable cheap and decentely strong units, but you can't really finish a game so you still rely on your mates to some degree