Best Players of all time

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
No Flag Astaroth
Howdah

Re: Best Players of all time

Post by Astaroth »

Hoping for some new tournaments soon, to determine the current playing level, especially with Kaiser so strong, but also Kynesie hopefully back from the ban and Samwise getting closer to top shape. :)

Naturally, there are also tons of other really good players.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

Don't think many people are questioning how amazing BSOP was
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

gibson wrote:Ofc dolans biased cause hes a nationalist.
There is nothing wrong with nationalism. It is nationalism which engenders nations, and not the other way around.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:
There is nothing wrong with nationalism. It is nationalism which engenders nations, and not the other way around.
What about what I said implied there was something bad about nationalism? I merely said that was the true reason behind his argument, which shouldn't be relevant.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

I'm not sure I'm a nationalist. I mean I'm not really very proud of my country's history, because frankly there isn't that much history, a lot of it is basically missing, since nobody bothered to write anything before the 16th century (but we like to talk about our history as if it started before the Roman empire, lol).
I think I'm a realist when it comes to national stuff.
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

Dolan wrote:
I'm not sure I'm a nationalist. I mean I'm not really very proud of my country's history, because frankly there isn't that much history, a lot of it is basically missing, since nobody bothered to write anything before the 16th century (but we like to talk about our history as if it started before the Roman empire, lol).
You have Vlad III
[Sith] - Baphomet
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

True, he became a legend in many ways, both good and bad. Probably because someone wrote a horror story about Dracula and turned him into a popular character.
But in our history he is hailed as a national hero because he fought against the Otto empire and he passed draconic laws against thieves.

Maybe Bsop was the Dracula of AOE3 tbh ngl. Just think about it:

- Romanian: check
- blood-thirsty when raiding: check
- liked to ambush and attack by surprise a lot: check
- played against Otto civ: check
Denmark voigt1240
Lancer
ESO: voigt

Post by voigt1240 »

Romanias pre and ww2 era history is interesting tbf. How much they got pushed around and fucked over. Having to constantly make territorial concessions and ending up with a ''puppet government'' All while having the future existence of the nation in question.
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah
ESO: MacacoAlbino
Clan: 3Huss

Post by macacoalbino »

Dolan wrote:Quite possible, actually. Tho, Tabben wasn't even the top player when he played, like Blackstar was, and he didn't win a major tourney. So not sure this pasta works.
He did get a 4-5 loss vs the tournament winner in the semifinals with a nail-biter series ending game, so... that's close enough

Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Yeah, Tabben may have had a similar potential as Bsop if he played more.
France Le Hussard sur le toit
Howdah
ESO: LeHussardsurletoit

Post by Le Hussard sur le toit »

macacoalbino wrote:
Dolan wrote:Quite possible, actually. Tho, Tabben wasn't even the top player when he played, like Blackstar was, and he didn't win a major tourney. So not sure this pasta works.
He did get a 4-5 loss vs the tournament winner in the semifinals with a nail-biter series ending game, so... that's close enough
Well I think the fact that Kasparov won the last decisive game in a must win situation in both the 1985 and 1987 matches against Karpov is what makes Kasparov a better player. Bringing up your best game in the last decisive game of a match is one of the thing that makes a GOAT.
ESOC : came for the game, stayed for the drama.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

voigt1240 wrote:Romanias pre and ww2 era history is interesting tbf. How much they got pushed around and fucked over. Having to constantly make territorial concessions and ending up with a ''puppet government'' All while having the future existence of the nation in question.
Yeh, we got caught between two powers, Nazi Germany and the USSR. The USSR took our Eastern region Bassarabia and we couldn't realistically take it back without the other power's help. We ended up first allying with Germany to take back our land from the USSR and then, after losing too many soldiers on the front, we broke the pact with Germany and joined the Allies, then lost lots of soldiers too. Eventually, we never got that region back, it became part of the USSR and subject to Stalin's ethnic engineering lab experiments.

Between the two wars, we had some decent economic potential, we were headed to becoming a free market democracy, but the WW2 cut that short, then we got thrown behind the communist Iron Curtain for half a century. We've been trying to pull ourselves out of that pit ever since, but it's slow progress.

Poland had a worse fate, tho, they were divided by Germany and the USSR, then invaded.
Switzerland sebnan12
Jaeger
ESO: Mongobillione

Post by sebnan12 »

Cometk wrote:wish i could play vs peak goodspeed in micro tournament ngl
We played many micro tournaments in 2010 2011 and it was always goodspeed or garja wining them but mostly goodspeed. Cool times
"Why are you trying to lecture me on my own language, no wonder you people shit in the open street."- Riotcoke

''man he's slow rolling him more than a fish on a royal flush'' - Garja

NEED MORE XP
Switzerland sebnan12
Jaeger

Post by sebnan12 »

Also lol imagine thinking kasparov is the best chess player to ever live xD
"Why are you trying to lecture me on my own language, no wonder you people shit in the open street."- Riotcoke

NEED MORE XP
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: lamergamer
Clan: c0ns

Post by Sargsyan »

Dolan wrote:
aren't you proud of Dracula ?
krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge Challenger_Marco
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Sargsyan wrote:
Dolan wrote:
aren't you proud of Dracula ?
Proud that he fought against Ottos.
What I meant in that quote is that Romania's medieval history is a big blur. Basically nobody knows what exactly happened between when the Romans left our territory (3rd century AD) until we started setting up the first local political structures (around the 11-12th century AD).

Meanwhile, the Brits established their first university, Oxford, in 1096, when we didn't even have any written chronicles, probably because there were no royal courts and no chancellaries. The only people who knew how to write back then were royal court scribes or priests. So the fact that our medieval history is truly the dark ages, since we have no written records, can't make you proud when you have no idea what happened for almost one thousand years.
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: lamergamer
Clan: c0ns

Post by Sargsyan »

didn't know Romania was that old
krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge Challenger_Marco
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

sebnan12 wrote:Also lol imagine thinking kasparov is the best chess player to ever live xD
Again, it depends on the criteria. Today's top players would bash kasparov for sure because the level improves in strategy games. Regarding achievements though, I'd say he is.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Actually Kasparov still takes games out of top5 players or so, at least on quickier time controls, despite the age, the infinite less opening knowledge and the progress of chess overall. It's quite impressive.
Image Image Image
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Sargsyan wrote:didn't know Romania was that old
The modern state is not old, obviously, but then neither is the modern state of Germany old.
Great Britain samwise12
Pro Player
Summer 2015 winner
ESO: Samwise12

Post by samwise12 »

you're all wrong, Beth Harmon is clearly the best ever.
Germany Rohbrot
Howdah
ECL Reigning Champs
ESO: Rohbrot

Post by Rohbrot »

1. H2O and Bsop
2. The rest.
Spain pain train is real
Switzerland sebnan12
Jaeger

Post by sebnan12 »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:
sebnan12 wrote:Also lol imagine thinking kasparov is the best chess player to ever live xD
Again, it depends on the criteria. Today's top players would bash kasparov for sure because the level improves in strategy games. Regarding achievements though, I'd say he is.
Yea but thats exactly my point. U can make the same arguments for great chess players of any era. Morphy fischer tal dowsnt really matter its insanly hard to compare an age old game and just declare a player from one era to be the best player. I cant wait to see what a 60 years old carlsen will achieve

NEED MORE XP
India TNT333
Lancer
ESO: TNT333

Post by TNT333 »

Btw its Garja with a big G and diarouga with a small d
"We are kings or pawns" Napoleon Bonaparte
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold