my rant/whine about team games, stream sniping and more

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Re: my rant/whine about team games, stream sniping and more

Post by gibson »

It just kinda sucks because having a ranking system where the rank actually matter means that lobby games can’t be ranked, but right now queueing team there’s a pretty solid chance of the game being non competitive, like being able to 3v1 the other team non competitive.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

gibson wrote:It just kinda sucks because having a ranking system where the rank actually matter means that lobby games can’t be ranked,
Why? Iirc ELOs were plenty accurate on old ESO.
Austria MukkPuKing
Crossbow
ESO: MukkPuKing

Post by MukkPuKing »

100% agree with the original post. This is crap. I keep getting 3v2 or 3v1ed int he QS games cuase my team mates are corporals... Best he could do was shipping 8 chuko-nu from cards, while opponent made 16+ bow riders and 16+ cav.

I sit down to have a balanced and fun game. But this is just wasting precious time. And I guess most of this community is not made of 15yrs old kids who have all the time in the world...
Germany yemshi
Jaeger
ESO: yemshi

Post by yemshi »

gibson wrote:Stream sniping is just going to happen when you stream and have viewers, so you just have to decide if it’s worth it. Fortunately there are several very easy solutions to this, the easiest and most effective one being clicking the button that says “end stream”. If a friend wants to watch you play stream to them in discord.
on RE you could simply put someone on your friend list and dodge/hope for the best. i know piro must have been dodging me (and i have dodged others)

nvm people didnt QS on RE..
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Goodspeed wrote:
gibson wrote:It just kinda sucks because having a ranking system where the rank actually matter means that lobby games can’t be ranked,
Why? Iirc ELOs were plenty accurate on old ESO.
I could pull up plenty examples that demonstrated otherwise. Elo wasn’t as bad as pr since not as many people tried to manipulate elo since it was 3rd party, but there were still a decent amount of accounts that got way higher than they should have been through some sort of manipulation. People just got used to it and ignored those accounts. Also a “closed” environment is just less accurate than an “open” one.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Fair it does prevent point trading, but I wouldn't go so far as to say ranks "don't matter" in such a system. Point trader accounts are easy to identify and since they don't tend to actually play the game they're easy to ignore. Ranks mattered in that, for actual players, you could tell by their rank how good they were.

In any case the benefits of ranked lobby easily outweigh the cons for a player base as small as this.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

I still really don’t want ranked lobbies, I feel like it will take away the fun of “grinding the leaderboard”, but deep down inside I know it’s probably better based off of the size of the player base.
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Post by chris1089 »

gibson wrote:I still really don’t want ranked lobbies, I feel like it will take away the fun of “grinding the leaderboard”, but deep down inside I know it’s probably better based off of the size of the player base.
This, and also that it might take away some competitiveness. But essentially this.
Great Britain I_HaRRiiSoN_I
Retired Contributor

Post by I_HaRRiiSoN_I »

Now this isnt too much of a whine as it was a good game but
me (I_HaRRiiSoN_I) jesus passi vs snow swisspro mephist just happened with our ELOs
(1381, 1487, 1370, vs 1777, 1767, 1767), surprised how we got matched up
Netherlands don_artie
Dragoon
ESO: don artie

Post by don_artie »

MukkPuKing wrote:100% agree with the original post. This is crap. I keep getting 3v2 or 3v1ed int he QS games cuase my team mates are corporals... Best he could do was shipping 8 chuko-nu from cards, while opponent made 16+ bow riders and 16+ cav.

I sit down to have a balanced and fun game. But this is just wasting precious time. And I guess most of this community is not made of 15yrs old kids who have all the time in the world...
yup this is basically the problem. and if that noob on your team is a new player, he is also gonna be done with the game very quickly. it's not his fault he got matched into this, he just shouldn't be in that lobby.
I_HaRRiiSoN_I wrote:Now this isnt too much of a whine as it was a good game but
me (I_HaRRiiSoN_I) jesus passi vs snow swisspro mephist just happened with our ELOs
(1381, 1487, 1370, vs 1777, 1767, 1767), surprised how we got matched up

this is nothing odd, i've seen games with way worse elo difference. those wins gave +0
Spain NekoBerk
Lancer
ESO: Nirket

Post by NekoBerk »

What's the point of playing team games with no premade "team" tho? isn't the easiest solution to this just getting some friends to play with?
"That's why we sing for these kids who don't have a thing
Except for a dream and a fuckin' rap magazine " - Eminem

"And we hate po-po
Wanna kill us dead in the street fo sho' " - Kendrick Lamar
Canada klonko
Skirmisher
ESO: klonko

Post by klonko »

The QS is working good, the problem you are stating is a population problem where you have low volume of players with the same level as you. How to fix it? Play 1on1. With the current population, team games such as 3vs3 are hard to balance especially if you are in the top percentile. But nonetheless, the algo is doing his job, which is finding you skill level and put challenge so you stay at ~50% winrate. With low population the only way it can do this is by giving you worst ally vs a better average of opponent as your are expected to carry them or you are one the bad player in your team is better than you are . Also, as this is solo queue, you should switch focus to solo queue mentality too, being exploiting your allies so you can carry better. It's bad to say but it's the truth, especially when you see that they are below your level.
And finally, has been developped for 1vs1 chess games and not team games. So it sure has down side for team games which are exacerbated by the low population.