you have one wish:

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.

eh?

instantly become the best aoe3 player of all time overnight
22%
instantly make aoe3 become a game with 100k+ players at peak times, high stakes tournaments, mass appeal etc
78%

Total votes: 59

Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Re: you have one wish:

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Goodspeed wrote:
lordraphael wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:Easily option 2 because of that little afterthought "mass appeal". Think about what a big change in the general population that would imply. If the masses are interested in a game like AoE3, that means there's a market for RTS and we'll get a lot more good ones. It also means more people will play other strategy games like Go, board games etc. Last but not least, interest in strategy games correlates with intelligence, which means the average IQ went up by like 10 globally. That's great for so many reasons.
did you just pull that one out of your ass or do you have any proof ?
Out of ass. Which part do you think is debatable?
It's an interesting assumption. A quick search brings me to this article which argues that playing real-time strategy games is correlated with an increase in cognitive function. The researchers compared cognitive function before playing either SC1, SC2, or The Sims, and after.
Using a meta-analytic Bayes factor approach, we found that the gaming condition that emphasized maintenance and rapid switching between multiple information and action sources led to a large increase in cognitive flexibility as measured by a wide array of non-video gaming tasks. Theoretically, the results suggest that the distributed brain networks supporting cognitive flexibility can be tuned by engrossing video game experience that stresses maintenance and rapid manipulation of multiple information sources. Practically, these results suggest avenues for increasing cognitive function.
European Union aaryngend
Howdah
Clan: N3O

Post by aaryngend »

The second of course. Me being #1 would be dandy, but I'd rather have the whole thing doing well than me ascending above all others.
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team
ESO: challenger_marco

Post by Challenger_Marco »

The 2nd option would be huge ,will totally change the game & i think everything will become far more interesting.
:nwc:
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

These authors found that 23.5 hours of training on real-time strategy games led to enhanced executive control and visuospatial skills relative to a non-playing control group. Furthermore, this paper demonstrates a causal link between video gameplay and improvement of certain executive and cognitive tasks. Then these authors find positive transfer between skills in certain games and closely related laboratory tasks. It seems like there is a consensus that certain video games (real-time strategy, fast-paced shooters), can lead to improvements in cognitive test performance.
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor
ESO: BrookG

Post by BrookG »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Out of ass. Which part do you think is debatable?
It's an interesting assumption. A quick search brings me to this article which argues that playing real-time strategy games is correlated with an increase in cognitive function. The researchers compared cognitive function before playing either SC1, SC2, or The Sims, and after.
Using a meta-analytic Bayes factor approach, we found that the gaming condition that emphasized maintenance and rapid switching between multiple information and action sources led to a large increase in cognitive flexibility as measured by a wide array of non-video gaming tasks. Theoretically, the results suggest that the distributed brain networks supporting cognitive flexibility can be tuned by engrossing video game experience that stresses maintenance and rapid manipulation of multiple information sources. Practically, these results suggest avenues for increasing cognitive function.
Let me quote my signature: 'Correlation doesn't mean causation'
Correlation doesn't mean causation.
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

It seems rather obvious to me that thinking games attract thinking people... I don't think we need studies to prove that
European Union scarm
Howdah
ESO: Malebranche

Post by scarm »

BrookG wrote:Correlation doesn't mean causation
Yes, but it also doesn't mean contingency.
European Union scarm
Howdah

Post by scarm »

Goodspeed wrote:It seems rather obvious to me that thinking games attract thinking people... I don't think we need studies to prove that
One could also argue that strategy games often involve warfare in one way or another and therefore attract people who enjoy violence. So yeah for a colloquial discussion i think you are right, but overall i think it warrants being questioned.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

What do you mean by overall? I think it only warrants being questioned scientifically
France Le Hussard sur le toit
Howdah
ESO: LeHussardsurletoit

Post by Le Hussard sur le toit »

scarm wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:It seems rather obvious to me that thinking games attract thinking people... I don't think we need studies to prove that
One could also argue that strategy games often involve warfare in one way or another and therefore attract people who enjoy violence.
Good point.
ESOC : came for the game, stayed for the drama.
European Union scarm
Howdah

Post by scarm »

Goodspeed wrote:What do you mean by overall? I think it only warrants being questioned scientifically
Yeah essentially what i meant by that, should have worded that more clearly.
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

every minute i spend playing rts is a minute i spend not doing my schoolwork so idk if it's actually improving my cognitive function