Maphack and OOS still work on DE...

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Maphack and OOS still work on DE...

Post by Kaiserklein »

former post
On another note, I just randomly got suggested this clip by twitch, idk if it has been shared here yet. The guy says he'll "break the game" and it just goes OOS a few seconds later. I posted it here on the official forums. Did they really just not fix the old maphack / OOS software? Or did people really managed to craft new hacks already?
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Re: Maphack and OOS still work on DE...

Post by harcha »

Kaiserklein wrote:Did they really just not fix the old maphack / OOS software? Or did people really managed to craft new hacks already?
Both are very possible.
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

i watched the rec and even the age 1 is fucking hilarious haha
Pakistan comradecommissar
Dragoon
ESO: ComradeCommissar

Post by comradecommissar »

Jesus. Post this on the forums?
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Post by musketeer925 »

Based on what I've seen, the protections against maphack in DE are pretty trivial for someone experienced at developing game hacks. Of course, it's a huge step above legacy moesbar-style hacks in terms of the skills required. The tools likely would have had to been updated or developed from scratch, but DE has a lot more users than legacy did for a long time, so I'd expect some people with those capabilities to be around.

The good news is we have active support from Microsoft. Hopefully they'll take action if you report this to them.
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

my guess is a new hack, or a new way to use the old one that circumvents the prevention. good to know nothing changes
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Not surprising to see this. Hopefully devs do something fairly quickly.
Austria knusch
Pro Player
EWTDonator 01

Post by knusch »

one hell of a mm call haha
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

I'm gonna make a video about this (if my mic isn't too shitty) and post it on their forums, to get some reaction from them hopefully
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by musketeer925 »

Kaiserklein wrote:I'm gonna make a video about this (if my mic isn't too shitty) and post it on their forums, to get some reaction from them hopefully
Here's how they say to report a player:

https://support.ageofempires.com/hc/en- ... -a-player-

It may be better not to further promote the idea that this is possible by posting it on the official forum unless they're being unresponsive on their preferred medium.
United States of America frostibite
Musketeer

Post by frostibite »

I mean..I'm not sure why you guys are surprised there are hacks on this game already...

Starcraft 2 has always had maphacks (and still does) and is owned by a much larger, organized company that has years of experience making anti cheat software. In addition,the team/company that developed this game has a hard time making the game work at all, let alone making anti cheat software. There are certainly hackers out there with 10x more knowledge and experience in coding than the developers of this game.
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by musketeer925 »

frostibite wrote:I mean..I'm not sure why you guys are surprised there are hacks on this game already...

Starcraft 2 has always had maphacks (and still does) and is owned by a much larger, organized company that has years of experience making anti cheat software. In addition,the team/company that developed this game has a hard time making the game work at all, let alone making anti cheat software. There are certainly hackers out there with 10x more knowledge and experience in coding than the developers of this game.
Yeah, I have low confidence that this will be a something the dev team does anything to address. They'll probably just ban people.
United States of America frostibite
Musketeer

Post by frostibite »

musketeer925 wrote:
frostibite wrote:I mean..I'm not sure why you guys are surprised there are hacks on this game already...

Yeah, I have low confidence that this will be a something the dev team does anything to address. They'll probably just ban people.
Seriously, let's be honest. This game has to be easy to poke holes in. There are so many bugs as it is. I couldn't imagine the hayday someone who has just a little experience with game hacking will have with the anti-cheat software code.
Dragoon

Also didn't EP manage to fix these exploits? Why can't the dev team?
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

comradecommissar wrote:Also didn't EP manage to fix these exploits? Why can't the dev team?
"They're bad"
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

:dry:
comradecommissar wrote:Also didn't EP manage to fix these exploits? Why can't the dev team?
the same reason they used ep balance and ep maps
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

musketeer925 wrote:
Kaiserklein wrote:I'm gonna make a video about this (if my mic isn't too shitty) and post it on their forums, to get some reaction from them hopefully
Here's how they say to report a player:

https://support.ageofempires.com/hc/en- ... -a-player-

It may be better not to further promote the idea that this is possible by posting it on the official forum unless they're being unresponsive on their preferred medium.
I just want to be as visible as possible and get a reaction from them, so I'll post it on their official forums directly. They have no idea about the game anyway and wouldn't understand how obvious it is that he maphacks, I'd rather have everyone in the comments supporting me than send it to them privately.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

Singapore Thrar
Retired Contributor
ESO: Thrar

Post by Thrar »

In software security in general (and I believe brick and mortar as well), attackers usually have a massive advantage over any form of passive security. The root of the problem is that the defender needs to try to pre-empt and defend all possible points of entry, while the attacker only needs to find one single weak spot. As @frostibite says, much larger game companies are struggling with this just the same, as well as security beyond gaming (e.g. look up the recently publicized SolarWinds attack).

The result is usually that you need a combination of passive defense to make life harder for the attackers, and active security to detect breaches and respond to them. We'll see what the response to this will be like, based on what we've seen so far the effort invested in passive defense seems about right to me since active exploits have been rare.

I don't think the argument saying that EP was so much better holds any water. EP is a small community project by comparison with a few hundred users at best. Anyone cheating in a tournament would likely be found out so there is very little incentive for an attacker to try to subvert EP. It's easy for the defense to look good when there are no attackers.
Argentina Jotunir
Howdah

Post by Jotunir »

Thrar wrote:In software security in general (and I believe brick and mortar as well), attackers usually have a massive advantage over any form of passive security. The root of the problem is that the defender needs to try to pre-empt and defend all possible points of entry, while the attacker only needs to find one single weak spot. As @frostibite says, much larger game companies are struggling with this just the same, as well as security beyond gaming (e.g. look up the recently publicized SolarWinds attack).

The result is usually that you need a combination of passive defense to make life harder for the attackers, and active security to detect breaches and respond to them. We'll see what the response to this will be like, based on what we've seen so far the effort invested in passive defense seems about right to me since active exploits have been rare.

I don't think the argument saying that EP was so much better holds any water. EP is a small community project by comparison with a few hundred users at best. Anyone cheating in a tournament would likely be found out so there is very little incentive for an attacker to try to subvert EP. It's easy for the defense to look good when there are no attackers.
EP still is much better than DE...
United States of America SoldieR
Pro Player
ESO: SoldieR

Post by SoldieR »

Sometimes I love you Kaiser
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Thrar wrote:In software security in general (and I believe brick and mortar as well), attackers usually have a massive advantage over any form of passive security. The root of the problem is that the defender needs to try to pre-empt and defend all possible points of entry, while the attacker only needs to find one single weak spot. As @frostibite says, much larger game companies are struggling with this just the same, as well as security beyond gaming (e.g. look up the recently publicized SolarWinds attack).

TIL cyber security is analogous to proxy stable.
Dragoon

Thrar wrote:I don't think the argument saying that EP was so much better holds any water. EP is a small community project by comparison with a few hundred users at best. Anyone cheating in a tournament would likely be found out so there is very little incentive for an attacker to try to subvert EP. It's easy for the defense to look good when there are no attackers.
This is a super important point. Not to mention, the only ones who really played EP were top players who were passionate about the game.
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by musketeer925 »

EP anticheat protections were basic stuff that worked for our small community. Whoever made this DE hack could have bypassed EP protections as well.
No Flag Astaroth
Howdah

Post by Astaroth »

Opponent just had better map awareness, #clearly.

Good to make the devs aware of this. So pathetic for people to cheat on a game played for fun