Dutch Strategies, Build Orders, Replays, Notes and Matchups by DutchDude117 (aka "The Exiled Prince"))

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
United States of America dutchdude117
ESOC Community Team
ESO: Dutchdude117

Re: Dutch Strategies, Build Orders, Replays, Notes and Matchups by DutchDude117 (aka "The Exiled Prince"))

Post by dutchdude117 »

I had some interesting matches vs spain and sweden today

Spanish: https://youtu.be/PNIAKWLDbJs
I deleted half my army right as I was about to turn the tide of the game

Swedish: https://youtu.be/Z_Lyi0psRcQ
Swedish players are going greedy with their blueberry build and so I try to punish them with some early pikes, also lost half of villagers but still managed to close out game before he over ran me.
Colombia WilliamRuiz
Crossbow
ESO: WilliamRuiz

Re: Dutch Strategies, Build Orders, Replays, Notes and Matchups by DutchDude117 (aka "The Exiled Prince"))

Post by WilliamRuiz »

i´m following this, thank u.
ESOC Community Team

Post by dutchdude117 »

WilliamRuiz wrote:i´m following this, thank u.
I'm so glad you are enjoying.
Thanks for letting me know, I was worried I was posting and updating the comments to no one :D
ESOC Community Team

Post by dutchdude117 »

I just post a bunch more Videos and recording, I recommend checking out my first dutch v dutch video, very interesting game
ESOC Community Team

Post by dutchdude117 »

My first gaming in 1v1 Sup going for South African Revolution!
Attachments
2 Dutch Aztec.age3Yrec
(4.58 MiB) Downloaded 7 times
ESOC Community Team

Post by dutchdude117 »

Since Dutch is primarily a reactive Civ, I decided to make a flow chart to help me decide what build order to do.
It is incomplete and still being improved, but it can mostly get you to fortress age every game.
Dutch Flow Chart
Attachments
Dutch Flow Chart General.png
Germany blackout
Dragoon

Post by blackout »

Good stuff thanks appreciate the effort!
Rainbow Land onfiregun17
Skirmisher
ESO: onfiregun17

Post by onfiregun17 »

@dutchdude117 maybe I'm reading this wrong but are you advocating for a TP every game? That's really only needed if you're up against super aggressive civs like Russia and need to get CM in transition. Usually it's best to save the wood crate for getting a bank in transition to 2nd.
ESOC Community Team

Post by dutchdude117 »

onfiregun17 wrote:@dutchdude117 maybe I'm reading this wrong but are you advocating for a TP every game? That's really only needed if you're up against super aggressive civs like Russia and need to get CM in transition. Usually it's best to save the wood crate for getting a bank in transition to 2nd.
Hmm yea you are right, its definitely not necessary. I built this flow chart for a specific opening for a build that I've been developing. I forgot to remove that for a general build order. But I'll change it now.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

the flow chart is a good format
Brazil Luciofrancosi
Skirmisher
ESO: luciofrancosi

Post by Luciofrancosi »

dutchdude117 wrote:Since Dutch is primarily a reactive Civ, I decided to make a flow chart to help me decide what build order to do.
It is incomplete and still being improved, but it can mostly get you to fortress age every game.
Dutch Flow Chart
This is really good stuff. Great resource to learn dutch.
"Supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting"

Sun Tzu - The art of war
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Ditch the flowchart, develop predictive algorithms with machine learning and natural tournament gameplay processing.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Flowchart like strategies are nice and I think it's a good approach for Dutch. Buta complete flowchart would be too hard to do properly, I did some stuff about this and my flow chart would be absolutely immense. Even a single match up flow chart can be pretty large.

One thing I noticed is that you always ship 1000w first in age 3. I don't really agree with this. When you can get away with it, 1000w is great. But I've noticed that often the tempo loss is way too large for it to be worth it, and in some match ups I started having much better results by ignoring it.
Argentina Jotunir
Howdah

Post by Jotunir »

RefluxSemantic wrote:Flowchart like strategies are nice and I think it's a good approach for Dutch. Buta complete flowchart would be too hard to do properly, I did some stuff about this and my flow chart would be absolutely immense. Even a single match up flow chart can be pretty large.

One thing I noticed is that you always ship 1000w first in age 3. I don't really agree with this. When you can get away with it, 1000w is great. But I've noticed that often the tempo loss is way too large for it to be worth it, and in some match ups I started having much better results by ignoring it.
It is okay to have some guidelines but we must not play the same every game because we become predictable.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Tbh, for me it's more interesting to methodically solve the civ than to actually try to win games.

Also this might just be an inherent problem with Dutch. If you are very very good at the civ, you can play a perfect reactive game and win in that way. But there's not reakky a simple proactive strategy that actually works well, which many other civs have. Playing proactively is just so much easier. You're doing your simple thing and your opponent can try to be good enough to adapt to it and if he's not you get the free win. Dutch doesn't really have that. The civ needs you to be on the limit of strategy so that you can just barely be greedy enough to get an advantage, but that's hard to do because you need to know quite well how greedy you can be versus all of the different strats possible.
Argentina Jotunir
Howdah

Post by Jotunir »

Speaking of Dutch, what do you think about the card "Infantry attack"?
Is it worth a shipment?
Germany Rohbrot
Howdah
ECL Reigning Champs
ESO: Rohbrot

Post by Rohbrot »

Jotunir wrote:Speaking of Dutch, what do you think about the card "Infantry attack"?
Is it worth a shipment?
People have it in their decks but its mostly not send, since the inf combat card in age 3 and the cav combat card is a better card and u send military shipments in age3 as dutch to can compete with other early ff aggression.
Spain pain train is real
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Jotunir wrote:Speaking of Dutch, what do you think about the card "Infantry attack"?
Is it worth a shipment?
Yes, military cards are a combination of direct impact as well as effectively a better economy (creating stronger units is about equivalent to creating more units). Its a great compromise between the two. In some games you can be ultra greedy and do sth like 1000w skirm combat cav combat inf attack inf combat, which is ridiculously powerful if you get away with it.
Argentina Jotunir
Howdah

Post by Jotunir »

Rohbrot wrote:
Is it worth a shipment?
People have it in their decks but its mostly not send, since the inf combat card in age 3 and the cav combat card is a better card and u send military shipments in age3 as dutch to can compete with other early ff aggression.
That is exactly why I asked, I noticed that trend and it made me wonder if it was worth having it :hmm:
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

What other cards would you want to put in your deck though?
Argentina Jotunir
Howdah

Post by Jotunir »

RefluxSemantic wrote:What other cards would you want to put in your deck though?
None in particular, I was just wondering. If you saw my deck you would probably cry and laugh at the same time :hehe:
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Jotunir wrote:
RefluxSemantic wrote:What other cards would you want to put in your deck though?
None in particular, I was just wondering. If you saw my deck you would probably cry and laugh at the same time :hehe:
Remove bank of amsterdam and bank of rotterdam asap.
Argentina Jotunir
Howdah

Post by Jotunir »

RefluxSemantic wrote:
Jotunir wrote:
Remove bank of amsterdam and bank of rotterdam asap.
How are you going to reach 11 banks if you don't have them? :maniac:
(just joking)
Does anyone uses the infinite fusilier card in any game that reaches industrial?
ESOC Community Team

Post by dutchdude117 »

I hate Sioux so much, I decided to never leave my base and just go for South Africa Revolution.
I even sent 7 sheep age 1 and found a 3 sheep treasure.
Just watch the this on x3 speed if you are going to open it.
Attachments
5 Dutch(sheeps) Sioux(waiting for enemy to leave base).age3Yrec
(5.46 MiB) Downloaded 9 times
Brazil Luciofrancosi
Skirmisher
ESO: luciofrancosi

Post by Luciofrancosi »

dutchdude117 wrote:I hate Sioux so much, I decided to never leave my base and just go for South Africa Revolution.
I even sent 7 sheep age 1 and found a 3 sheep treasure.
Just watch the this on x3 speed if you are going to open it.
Interesting stuff. I guess u can just stay in base and be as greedy as possible.
But yep, even though that civ is not really the strongest, it is the one I hate the most on this game
"Supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting"

Sun Tzu - The art of war