What is the cheapest GPU I can use to avoid the Obscure Unit Alpha bug (where you can't see units behind building/trees)

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
United States of America dutchdude117
ESOC Community Team
ESO: Dutchdude117

What is the cheapest GPU I can use to avoid the Obscure Unit Alpha bug (where you can't see units behind building/trees)

Post by dutchdude117 »

What is the cheapest GPU I can use to avoid the Obscure Unit Alpha bug (where you can't see units behind building/trees)?

Currently I am running a very old GPU (GTX 650 ti)

I from what I understand the bug is related to GPU.

Any help or advice appreciated!

I do have shadows on and my value Obscure Unit Alpha Value set to above 50%
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Re: What is the cheapest GPU I can use to avoid the Obscure Unit Alpha bug (where you can't see units behind building/tr

Post by Mitoe »

I know someone who upgraded from a 770 to a 980 and that fixed the issue for him. I have a 1070 Ti and don’t experience the issue either. Other than that I’m not sure.

I believe @giveuanxiety has a 970 and doesn’t have this issue either?
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Re: What is the cheapest GPU I can use to avoid the Obscure Unit Alpha bug (where you can't see units behind building/tr

Post by deleted_user »

First of all, do you have shadows enabled in graphics settings? If shadows are disabled units will not show up behind things.
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team
ESO: challenger_marco

Post by Challenger_Marco »

Yeah if shadows are off it doesn't work else it works.
:nwc:
United States of America Kyo_
Crossbow
ESO: KyoKusanagi

Post by Kyo_ »

I made this account just to offer a solution that worked for me. I have GTX GeForce 1060 3 gb (not sure how good/bad it is).

What I do right after launching the game each time is:

1) start a skirmish
2) go to settings
3) change shadows setting to something other than the current setting then apply
4) change shadows setting back to the desired setting then apply again
5) obscured units' shadows show.

My desired shadows setting is "off" and the obscured units' shadows still show.

Hope it works. :)
United States of America iCourt
Retired Contributor
ESO: iCourt

Post by iCourt »

I'm building my first PC for this dumb game. Anyone try with a 3070 and know if it bugs at all?
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Honestly I haven't heard that it's connected to GPU. I'm only aware of how shadows affects it. Can anyone else weigh in?

I've been able to see units with shadows enabled with a gtx 970 and 1660 ti.
ESOC Community Team

Post by dutchdude117 »

deleted_user wrote:First of all, do you have shadows enabled in graphics settings? If shadows are disabled units will not show up behind things.
yea I have shadows on and the value set to multiple thing [50%, 60%, 70%, 80%, 90%, 100%] and it never works
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

deleted_user wrote:Honestly I haven't heard that it's connected to GPU. I'm only aware of how shadows affects it. Can anyone else weigh in?

I've been able to see units with shadows enabled with a gtx 970 and 1660 ti.
For some people it doesn't show even with shadows on, usually with older graphics cards.
European Union aaryngend
Howdah
Clan: N3O

Post by aaryngend »

iCourt wrote:I'm building my first PC for this dumb game. Anyone try with a 3070 and know if it bugs at all?
What happened to your fabulous laptop ? :P

Anyway, any newer nvidia cards have no trouble with DE. Newer meaning GTX 1000 series and up :hmm:
United States of America iCourt
Retired Contributor
ESO: iCourt

Post by iCourt »

The laptop runs the game but not at an FPS I'm happy with. 30- FPS is just hard on my eyes. I'm not sure how far it'd drop online but I'm not optimistic. The laptop is perfect for work though, I was honestly hoping the game would run on the lowest graphic settings at a reasonable FPS. Frankly... if everything looks like it is running off an original xbox I don't care what the graphics look like. I love the laptop though. It's super nice, and I'm perfectly happy with my purchase.

What really sucks is I can run legacy at the highest graphics and still get well over 60 FPS, and the game looks better than anything I've seen for DE... I never had a computer that could ever run any AOE/AOM game past min specs/settings.

But now that I'm stuck in the hell that is California, and we have police ticketing people breaking stay at home orders... I need a bit of a project to keep me busy. Figured I could try and build a computer and learn a thing or two. Maybe try to get this train wreck of a game upgrade working.
Mongolia badger_prince
Musketeer
ESO: badger_prince

Post by badger_prince »

I don't know if this bug is gpu-related, but for what it's worth:
I am running it on a radeon rx570 and I do not have this issue.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

iCourt wrote:I'm building my first PC for this dumb game. Anyone try with a 3070 and know if it bugs at all?
Works fine on 3060 TI. 144fps on highest settings, though I play on low graphics because it looks better.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

@dutchdude117 Are you based in The Netherlands? I've got a spare GeForce GTX 750 Ti that you can have. Used to run at around 40FPS (with the rest of my computer) on the lowest graphics, but the shadows worked.
United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Post by _H2O »

it doesnt work for a 770 no matter what you do. I think the lowest confirmed card where you can get alpha to work that I know of is 970 now.
European Union scarm
Howdah
ESO: Malebranche

Post by scarm »

iCourt wrote:I'm building my first PC for this dumb game.
Never before have i read a sentence that oozed that much abyssal hatred and voluptuous love at the same time.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

_H2O wrote:it doesnt work for a 770 no matter what you do. I think the lowest confirmed card where you can get alpha to work that I know of is 970 now.
It worked on mine, which was a 750 Ti.

Proof:
United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Post by _H2O »

Lucky you I suppose. I tried everything to get my 770 to do it.
Great Britain TheNameDaniel
Advanced Player
Donator 01
ESO: danielek

Post by TheNameDaniel »

I have an RTX 2070 an Im sad there is no ray tracing in this game :/
Canada Cocaine
Lancer
ESO: Cow God

Post by Cocaine »

TheNameDaniel wrote:I have an RTX 2070 an Im sad there is no ray tracing in this game :/
A 2070 would not be great at ray tracing anyway?
A little Cocaine never hurt nobody!

India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team
ESO: challenger_marco

Post by Challenger_Marco »

TheNameDaniel wrote:I have an RTX 2070 an Im sad there is no ray tracing in this game :/
There are people who struggle to even run this game smoothly & you want Ray Tracing bruh :hehe:
:nwc:
Canada Cocaine
Lancer
ESO: Cow God

Post by Cocaine »

Challenger_Marco wrote:
There are people who struggle to even run this game smoothly & you want Ray Tracing bruh :hehe:
Do you guys even know what ray tracing is? It doesnt sound like it. How can you have ray tracing in this game? Legit I'm asking. You can't. This is an RTS game with a birdseye view on the world.. RTX applies to mostly first person games to imitate the real world environment.

By saying you want ray tracing in aoe3 you're legit looking like an idiot
A little Cocaine never hurt nobody!

ESOC Community Team

Post by dutchdude117 »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:@dutchdude117 Are you based in The Netherlands? I've got a spare GeForce GTX 750 Ti that you can have. Used to run at around 40FPS (with the rest of my computer) on the lowest graphics, but the shadows worked.
Thank you so much for the offer, I really appreciate it.
Unfortunately I am not based in Netherlands I am actually in California, USA so I'm pretty sure it would be unfeasible to ship it here.
ESOC Community Team

Post by dutchdude117 »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:
_H2O wrote:it doesnt work for a 770 no matter what you do. I think the lowest confirmed card where you can get alpha to work that I know of is 970 now.
It worked on mine, which was a 750 Ti.

Proof:
My brother has a GTX 750 Ti so I asked him to check it out on his computer, and I can confirm that shadows and the obscure unit alpha both work as intended.
So we may have answered my question, this may be the cheapest GPU one can have that properly runs shadows in this game.
Great Britain TheNameDaniel
Advanced Player
Donator 01
ESO: danielek

Post by TheNameDaniel »

Cocaine wrote:
Challenger_Marco wrote:
Do you guys even know what ray tracing is? It doesnt sound like it. How can you have ray tracing in this game? Legit I'm asking. You can't. This is an RTS game with a birdseye view on the world.. RTX applies to mostly first person games to imitate the real world environment.

By saying you want ray tracing in aoe3 you're legit looking like an idiot
I want my trees shadows to look op!