What is the cheapest GPU I can use to avoid the Obscure Unit Alpha bug (where you can't see units behind building/trees)

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
United States of America minimoult21
Dragoon
ESO: minimoult21

Re: What is the cheapest GPU I can use to avoid the Obscure Unit Alpha bug (where you can't see units behind building/tr

Post by minimoult21 »

If it is a ti, then you can see unit alpha on a 700 model. If not then you need to have a 900 model. I don't know about raedon. I have a 970 and it works. I have not heard of someone with a 960, so that gpu has not been tested to my knowledge.
minimoult21 represents a relative unknown.
Germany LarryShotter
Crossbow
ESO: Larry Shotter

Re: What is the cheapest GPU I can use to avoid the Obscure Unit Alpha bug (where you can't see units behind building/tr

Post by LarryShotter »

Kyo_ wrote:I made this account just to offer a solution that worked for me. I have GTX GeForce 1060 3 gb (not sure how good/bad it is).

What I do right after launching the game each time is:

1) start a skirmish
2) go to settings
3) change shadows setting to something other than the current setting then apply
4) change shadows setting back to the desired setting then apply again
5) obscured units' shadows show.

My desired shadows setting is "off" and the obscured units' shadows still show.

Hope it works. :)
This is the solution I use from day 1. I don't want to play with shadows as its only distracting from gameplay.
But without shadows you cant see units behind. So this is the workaround (also for better performance on low systems).
Still very annoying to do this every game start.. buggy and bad design from devs.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

minimoult21 wrote:If it is a ti, then you can see unit alpha on a 700 model. If not then you need to have a 900 model. I don't know about raedon. I have a 970 and it works. I have not heard of someone with a 960, so that gpu has not been tested to my knowledge.
No alpha issues for me on 960.
momuuu wrote: theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player