Deccan and Great Plains in Quicksearch

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
Switzerland bobabu
Howdah

Deccan and Great Plains in Quicksearch

Post by bobabu »

Deccan and Great Plains have to be in the Quicksearch. It's ridiculous that they aren't. They were the two most-played maps. Or at least maps should rotate. It doesn't matter if they are competitive or not. Even in Age of Empires 2 de which is a more competitive game the quick search has some unbalanced maps. You can just adhere to the pros who make up less than 1 percent of the player base there are enough competitive maps now. And the same boring starting creates. At least give the casual players Deccan and great plains from time to time in quick search!
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Re: Deccan and Great Plains in Quicksearch

Post by harcha »

Yes! I also want Ceylon!
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Rainbow Land onfiregun17
Skirmisher
ESO: onfiregun17

Post by onfiregun17 »

I never thought I would see the day that the people of ESOC would be advocating for more Deccan. Truly a sight to see.
No Flag ssaraf
Dragoon
ESO: robinhood_xing

Post by ssaraf »

Yes, need deccan and gp in quick search.
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

why, what's so great about those maps? I think they were mostly only popular because they were available to 100% of players through RE so they became the default maps for semi-competitive play bc they required no extra downloading

tbh i want bering strait, dhaka, and fraser river, those were some of my favorite maps
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

bobabu wrote:Deccan and Great Plains have to be in the Quicksearch. It's ridiculous that they aren't. They were the two most-played maps. Or at least maps should rotate. It doesn't matter if they are competitive or not. Even in Age of Empires 2 de which is a more competitive game the quick search has some unbalanced maps. You can just adhere to the pros who make up less than 1 percent of the player base there are enough competitive maps now. And the same boring starting creates. At least give the casual players Deccan and great plains from time to time in quick search!
No aoe2 maps are as bad as Great Plains can spawn, and aoe2 had a map veto and civ selection once the map is known. So it’s not even close to the same thing.
mad cuz bad
France chronique
Advanced Player
ESO: poissondu44

Post by chronique »

Lol deccan XD this map is everything but not competitive and it was never played by competitive players.
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Post by chris1089 »

chronique wrote:Lol deccan XD this map is everything but not competitive and it was never played by competitive players.
I agree for team, but I think it's decent as legacy maps go for 1v1.
France chronique
Advanced Player

Post by chronique »

Decent because RE map was garbage
Great Britain TheNameDaniel
Advanced Player
Donator 01
ESO: danielek

Post by TheNameDaniel »

chronique wrote:Lol deccan XD this map is everything but not competitive and it was never played by competitive players.
It was there at the last LAN so it must be competitive!
European Union scarm
Howdah
ESO: Malebranche

Post by scarm »

As bobabu pointed out it's not only about competitive players. A large portion of the playerbase played GP and dekkan for years. It doesn't matter if they only started being played a lot because the res distribution on other maps sucked, they are by now the cult-classics of AoE, and maps that many casual players will recognize.

Plus, the great plains are arguably one of the regions from the time period best known in the general public, due to the prevalence of the italo-western cinema, books and similar. I'd bet my ass that if i asked the general person if they knew where yukatan was they'd have no idea, while 'prairie', the 'prairies' or just great plains are very well known.
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team
ESO: challenger_marco

Post by Challenger_Marco »

RE maps are still imba.If they fix that then ok for me.
:nwc:
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

There is no way to make GP balanced. It also ruins balance when you give all civs 600 res (which sometimes doesn't fully spawn).
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
France chronique
Advanced Player

Post by chronique »

Why gp can't be balance? Because of middle tp?
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

Yes
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

because the map rng code is haphazard, hunts are spectacularly asymmetrical, there is sometimes inadequate food to even age up, trees are too far from tcs, theres a massive food treasure that always lets one player get a 30s faster ageup... shall i go on
United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Post by _H2O »

GP is just a bad map all together
France Le Hussard sur le toit
Howdah
ESO: LeHussardsurletoit

Post by Le Hussard sur le toit »

n0el wrote:
bobabu wrote:Deccan and Great Plains have to be in the Quicksearch. It's ridiculous that they aren't. They were the two most-played maps. Or at least maps should rotate. It doesn't matter if they are competitive or not. Even in Age of Empires 2 de which is a more competitive game the quick search has some unbalanced maps. You can just adhere to the pros who make up less than 1 percent of the player base there are enough competitive maps now. And the same boring starting creates. At least give the casual players Deccan and great plains from time to time in quick search!
No aoe2 maps are as bad as Great Plains can spawn, and aoe2 had a map veto and civ selection once the map is known. So it’s not even close to the same thing.
There should definitely be a map veto in QS and I just don't understand why you would design a game where you chose your civ before knowing the map...
ESOC : came for the game, stayed for the drama.
Switzerland bobabu
Howdah

Post by bobabu »

Squamiger wrote:why, what's so great about those maps? I think they were mostly only popular because they were available to 100% of players through RE so they became the default maps for semi-competitive play bc they required no extra downloading

tbh i want bering strait, dhaka, and fraser river, those were some of my favorite maps
Well, there were a bunch of other re maps and Asian maps Deccan and great plains competed with. Deccan didn't become the favourite among players because it was more balanced than other maps. Some Asian maps offer better balance. It became a favourite because it is different from other maps. You start with more resources which allow for different strategies and is especially helpful for new and casual players.
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

Deccan is a good map, IMO.

Great Plains... one of the worst.
Germany Lukas_L99
Pro Player
Donator 01
ESO: Lukas_L99

Post by Lukas_L99 »

Wasn't deccan in the rotation? I remember playing it.
France chronique
Advanced Player

Post by chronique »

Lukas_L99 wrote:Wasn't deccan in the rotation? I remember playing it.
It was during a couple of week when "competitive map" was the qs map pool instead of "standar map"
France chronique
Advanced Player

Post by chronique »

Mitoe wrote:
Deccan is a good map, IMO.
I think deccan is super unbalance, maybe i am wrong
Canada vividlyplain
Lancer
ESO: vividlyplain

Post by vividlyplain »

Squamiger wrote: tbh i want bering strait, dhaka, and fraser river, those were some of my favorite maps
:love:
France Le Hussard sur le toit
Howdah
ESO: LeHussardsurletoit

Post by Le Hussard sur le toit »

I really hope Fraser River is included into DE at some point.
ESOC : came for the game, stayed for the drama.