Iamgrunt was one of the highest paid back in the days

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team
ESO: challenger_marco

Iamgrunt was one of the highest paid back in the days

Post by Challenger_Marco »

So out of curiosity, this got recommended on YT,so i watched it & i was suprised.

So around 1:05 you see the big boss in the list ,representing #AoE !! He was one of the few who was good at many games,that paid him off really well compared to the AoE scene now ,Imagine that money now vs 20 years back ,pretty big ngl ,for his talent he deservers it ,#korean prodigy ,#grunt,#talent,#AoE,#esports.
And right now Dota 2 is the highest paid & every TI each year the prizepool increase this year they gathered around ~40m$ and if you win like 1 or 2 Tis in Dota in this decade you will be flithy rich.I'm happy i play the highest paid game in the world now haha.
:nwc:
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Re: Iamgrunt was one of the highest paid back in the days

Post by Goodspeed »

Hearthstone came out in 2014 yet there is a HS player at the top of this list in 2000?
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

Goodspeed wrote:Hearthstone came out in 2014 yet there is a HS player at the top of this list in 2000?
European Union aaryngend
Howdah
Clan: N3O

Post by aaryngend »

As good as Grunt was, the only reason he suddenly jumped to the top is because he won that one super-high prize tournament in 2001 in aoe2 which gave him 50 grand at once. Later he won the biggest Rise of Nations tournament and that's how he ended up with the vast majority of his earnings. Aoe3 was pocket money to him.
Arch_Koven, his mentor, was considered to be the best back then.

I still don't like lists like these because they only account for tournament winnings. Especially nowadays, many or most pros get their income from streaming, subscriptions, donations and in the cases of real pros (who are not just streamers) as a salary from their org and sponsors.
Even back in the day, Grunt had a TV show in korea where he went to random internet cafés and challenged people in aoe. Who knows how much he got out of that.
Brazil look
Howdah
ESO: LoOk_tOm

Post by look »

fking dota
Kaiser sucks
Garja Noob
grunt the best
Kickass God
BSOP OP
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

aaryngend wrote: Even back in the day, Grunt had a TV show in korea where he went to random internet cafés and challenged people in aoe. Who knows how much he got out of that.
This sounds cool, you know if it’s on YouTube or something?
European Union aaryngend
Howdah

Post by aaryngend »

gibson wrote:
aaryngend wrote: Even back in the day, Grunt had a TV show in korea where he went to random internet cafés and challenged people in aoe. Who knows how much he got out of that.
I only ever saw a small excerpt on youtube. The real thing was uploaded somewhere else on an ancient site which probably stopped working years ago.
Legends say Grunt never lost a single game in that format. I think they picked the opponents up from the street or the café itself. Was a short-lived TV show or let's even call it a documentary.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

aaryngend wrote:
gibson wrote:
I only ever saw a small excerpt on youtube. The real thing was uploaded somewhere else on an ancient site which probably stopped working years ago.
Legends say Grunt never lost a single game in that format. I think they picked the opponents up from the street or the café itself. Was a short-lived TV show or let's even call it a documentary.
If they picked the opponents up from the street, I'm pretty sure it's more than just a "legend" haha.
Hell, even with 30% handicap I'd have to be fucking unlucky to lose to a random guy in the street.
European Union aaryngend
Howdah

Post by aaryngend »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:If they picked the opponents up from the street, I'm pretty sure it's more than just a "legend" haha.
Hell, even with 30% handicap I'd have to be fucking unlucky to lose to a random guy in the street.
I just used that "legend" phrase to make it sound more dramatic.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:
aaryngend wrote:
Show hidden quotes
If they picked the opponents up from the street, I'm pretty sure it's more than just a "legend" haha.
Yeah, there are only like a few dozen players in France that would have a realistic shot at beating you at the game, seems like a pretty safe bet to say that you can beat all strangers at aoe3.
Great Britain WickedCossack
Retired Contributor

Post by WickedCossack »

[Armag] diarouga wrote: If they picked the opponents up from the street, I'm pretty sure it's more than just a "legend" haha.
I can already tell this is the big blockbuster Netflix series of 2021 - diarouga (with a small d) travelling around France's quaint rural villages bashing random nerds with a 30% handicap at the local internet cafe. Much better than most travel programs out there.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Haha
European Union scarm
Howdah
ESO: Malebranche

Post by scarm »

WickedCossack wrote: I can already tell this is the big blockbuster Netflix series of 2021 - diarouga (with a small d) travelling around France's quaint rural villages bashing random nerds with a 30% handicap at the local internet cafe. Much better than most travel programs out there.
But then, the antihero wickedcossack, disguised with a neckbeard and a fedora as your average nerd, is smuggled into the next internetcafe by the mastermind hosts of the show. Unsuspecting diarouga enters the locale and challenges to a duel whom he thinks to be an insignificant nerd - but lo and behold - before diarouga realizes what's going on, flail elephants trample the ruins of his colony, and the plot unravels itself
Germany F4xxN
Crossbow
ESO: LordAce

Post by F4xxN »

The most unrealistic part of these epic stories: Are internetcafes still a thing?
European Union aaryngend
Howdah

Post by aaryngend »

F4xxN wrote:The most unrealistic part of these epic stories: Are internetcafes still a thing?
In asian countries yes, especially in Korea. It's a cultural thing there.
It's only Europe and the US where internet cafés serve a very niche existence.
Korea South Miyawaki Sakura
Dragoon
ESO: April

Post by Miyawaki Sakura »

I am not a person of the Grunt era, but because a lot of data on his activities were left in the internet cafe, I was able to learn about his activities in Korea.
He won all competitions in Korea until AOE3 disappeared from WCG.(

In the 2010s?, he broadcasted Age 3 on a personal broadcasting platform in Korea under the ID'salmient'.
http://bj.afreecatv.com/wargrunt/posts
According to the testimony of someone who watched his broadcast at the time, Grunt smashed the best players of his time while giving a lecture on AOE3.
But sadly, AOE3 broadcast wasn't as popular as SC, so he quit his private broadcast and went offline. :cry:
European Union aaryngend
Howdah

Post by aaryngend »

Miyawaki Sakura wrote:I am not a person of the Grunt era, but because a lot of data on his activities were left in the internet cafe, I was able to learn about his activities in Korea.
He won all competitions in Korea until AOE3 disappeared from WCG.
That's exactly the excerpt I was talking about. I only saw another version of this same video which was only 3 or 4 minutes long though.

The uploader of the video seems to be the guy who played the 2nd game after the Grunt one. If you translate his video description, he's talking about a reunion once aoe4 comes out.
Australia JKProwler
Dragoon

Post by JKProwler »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:
aaryngend wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Big difference between random guy in street and random guy in an internet cafe in KOREA
Dragoon

It was actually the culture of Korea that the strongest of the A region internet cafes went to challenge the B region internet cafes.(1998~2008)
Such culture was most prominent in Tekken and SC.
As a result, Korean Tekken players went to Japan to challenge, and a professional team and league were created for SC.
European Union aaryngend
Howdah

Post by aaryngend »

Miyawaki Sakura wrote:It was actually the culture of Korea that the strongest of the A region internet cafes went to challenge the B region internet cafes.(1998~2008)
Such culture was most prominent in Tekken and SC.
As a result, Korean Tekken players went to Japan to challenge, and a professional team and league were created for SC.
Why do you say "was"? Did it stop? Or decline severely?

Are you actually korean? Or just a fan of Korea?
Dragoon

It rarely happens these days.
I'm not sure why, but I think the emergence of pro gamers and the solution to the ping problem are the biggest reasons.

im korean
European Union aaryngend
Howdah

Post by aaryngend »

Miyawaki Sakura wrote:It rarely happens these days.
I'm not sure why, but I think the emergence of pro gamers and the solution to the ping problem are the biggest reasons.

im korean
Maybe the oldschool challenges are gone, but I'm pretty certain PC bangs are still a big thing in Korea. Don't disappoint me now ! :smile:
There is this ranking which gets published every month showing the top games played by PC bang users in Korea. Suddenstrike or whatever it's called is their counterpart to our Counter Strike, same as a football game instead of FIFA.
Netherlands Vafurx
Crossbow
Donator 02

Post by Vafurx »

aaryngend wrote: Even back in the day, Grunt had a TV show in korea where he went to random internet cafés and challenged people in aoe.
They should bring this back but then with @Kaiserklein _O_
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

JKProwler wrote:
[Armag] diarouga wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Big difference between random guy in street and random guy in an internet cafe in KOREA
Well at that time there was probably only a handful of people who were capable of beating him at all, the chances of one of them being in a random Cafe and being selected is small.
Switzerland bobabu
Howdah

Post by bobabu »

gibson wrote:
JKProwler wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Well at that time there was probably only a handful of people who were capable of beating him at all, the chances of one of them being in a random Cafe and being selected is small.
Lies Gibson used to sit in Korean cyber cafés 20 years ago. He would have made short work of grunt.