Why did housebooms become a thing?

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Re: Why did housebooms become a thing?

Post by dansil92 »

japan is probably fine, it just counters "i refuse to make siege" and meta semi ff. oh and ashi should be 4 speed.
France chronique
Advanced Player
ESO: poissondu44

Post by chronique »

duckzilla wrote:Make shrines 200hp, but reduce cost to 100w.
And give them some legs to allows them to back if they are under pressure ^^ . Wait that's a great idea for a new civ!!
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

Scroogie wrote:To those that said Dutch, I think they are ok. Their boom is not too crazy and they are actually hurting themselves with banking a bit by taking away wood that could otherwise be used for housing. The house-boomers get crazy eco+infinite popspace in one, which is plain unfair. Plus they only can get coin, making them still hunt dependant and punishable on the map.
Oh yea what if you just made all the house boom civs have to place buildings that didn’t give pop space, so they had to build houses in addition. That’s an interesting fix I hadn’t thought about. Bc no one really complains about Dutch and that’s basically what they are
Macau firstaim
Crossbow

Post by firstaim »

To follow AOM Greek temple and AOE3 DE Lakota/HAUD, Japan shall put vils working at the shrine.
That will fix this issue.
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

Remove japanese explorer ability to build shrines, thereby making jap villagers more raidable. Reduce shrines HP to 600, but improve gathering rates (slightly) linearly with distance to the starting TC, making shrines gather twice as fast at the other side of the map.
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Post by chris1089 »

duckzilla wrote:Remove japanese explorer ability to build shrines, thereby making jap villagers more raidable. Reduce shrines HP to 600, but improve gathering rates (slightly) linearly with distance to the starting TC, making shrines gather twice as fast at the other side of the map.
Idk that makes camping in base stronger. Not sure that's good. The idea of reducing hp is to make them come out on the map.
United States of America dutchdude117
ESOC Community Team
ESO: Dutchdude117

Post by dutchdude117 »

You know what this thread makes me think... Dutch banks should provide population space. Its actually crazy that Japan, Sweden, Inca, all have building that benefit them economically ( each building representing 1-2 vils gathering an infinite resource) while at the same time providing housing space. They are literally up 2000 wood by the time they are done with their boom because they wont have to build a single house for the rest of the game. At least with brit it forces you to gather with a vilagers still, so they are raidable, and so if the map runs out of resources the vilagers cannot gather.
Germany Plantinator
Dragoon
ESO: Plantinator

Post by Plantinator »

Unfortunately the dutch dont live in banks lmao
Macau firstaim
Crossbow

Post by firstaim »

Plantinator wrote:Unfortunately the dutch dont live in banks lmao
This makes me think about Lakota live at plain.
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Post by chris1089 »

Plantinator wrote:Unfortunately the dutch dont live in banks lmao
Whereas the Japanese live in shrines.
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

I can't really answer the original question. Japanese shrines surely were one of the biggest gripes people had with 3RE. I don't know why they designed two new civs and decided two times that changing houses into economic units would be the way to make the civ unique. They did look at WOL for ideas for other parts of the game, I wonder why they didn't take more ideas from them for giving civs economic advantages and making them unique.
Isle of Man UpMySleeves
Dragoon
GameRanger ID: 7309280

Post by UpMySleeves »

dutchdude117 wrote:You know what this thread makes me think... Dutch banks should provide population space.
Name checks out.

I guess lack of imagination as it's been said and these types of civs are more friendly towards new players? Seems like many people in this thread came up with nice small tweaks to make these civs less annoying to play vs.
Never trust a man in a blue trench coat, never drive a car when you're dead
United States of America dutchdude117
ESOC Community Team
ESO: Dutchdude117

Post by dutchdude117 »

UpMySleeves wrote:
dutchdude117 wrote:You know what this thread makes me think... Dutch banks should provide population space.
Name checks out.

I guess lack of imagination as it's been said and these types of civs are more friendly towards new players? Seems like many people in this thread came up with nice small tweaks to make these civs less annoying to play vs.
I am trying to make a joke, I don't really think dutch should get pop space for their banks. The goal of the statement was to emphasize how powerful it is to tie economic growth with population space.
Isle of Man UpMySleeves
Dragoon
GameRanger ID: 7309280

Post by UpMySleeves »

Yes, I too was making a joke.
Never trust a man in a blue trench coat, never drive a car when you're dead