Rodelero vs Heavy Infantry

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
Spain MaxH
Crossbow

Rodelero vs Heavy Infantry

Post by MaxH »

Hi, I wanted to suggest an idea regarding Rodeleros and get others' opinions on this. Rodeleros pretty much have 1 job and that's to kill cav. When facing other HI, they underperform unless they have greater numbers. Giving them a x1.25 multiplier against HI would allow them to last longer in engagements against HI but would not be enough to beat them.

For example, a Musketeer has enough time to fire 1 shot at a Rodelero before engaging in melee combat. After 1 shot fired it takes 15 hits for a Musketeer to kill a Rodelero and it takes 18 hits for a Rodelero to kill a Musketeer. A x1.25 multiplier against HI would reduce the number of hits it requires to kill a Musketeer to 14 hits.

Of course, en masse, Musketeers will still be able to win against Rodeleros because in a fight all the Musketeers will be able to engage the Rodeleros while some of the Rodeleros will still be trying to engage the Musketeers. However, this will at least help them last longer if a fight like this were to occur.

My hope is that something like this will help Rodelero's viability in early team games and make them less one-dimensional.

I would love to know other opinions on this.
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Re: Rodelero vs Heavy Infantry

Post by duckzilla »

I like the idea, especially given that Rodeleros are more expensive than Musketeers and had been superior in melee before their attack stats were nerfed to the ground. It is also consistent with other coin-costing melee HI to beat musketeers in melee.
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
No Flag uberjz
Dragoon
ESO: WoodPusher

Post by uberjz »

Great! Let's give the same x1.25 bonus to Changdao as well; it's only fair.
Brazil Luciofrancosi
Skirmisher
ESO: luciofrancosi

Post by Luciofrancosi »

I like the idea.
I always found weird that rods were classed as anticav as historically they were dismissed because they would do really bad against cav.
"Supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting"

Sun Tzu - The art of war
Germany Rohbrot
Howdah
ECL Reigning Champs
ESO: Rohbrot

Post by Rohbrot »

Luciofrancosi wrote:I like the idea.
I always found weird that rods were classed as anticav as historically they were dismissed because they would do really bad against cav.
Its cuz aoe3's coin costing melee infs do well vs cav not that they did care about history when making skull knights beating HC's.
Spain pain train is real
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

Really bad idea as rods are already a great unit and can destroy goons unlike other heavy infantry. Would also make every spanish unit counter heavy infantry when u need heavy inf to block their melee comp
France Guigs
Tournament Admin
ESO: Guigs

Post by Guigs »

Hazza54321 wrote:Really bad idea as rods are already a great unit and can destroy goons unlike other heavy infantry. Would also make every spanish unit counter heavy infantry when u need heavy inf to block their melee comp
The voice of wisdom has spoken

Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

rodeleros already soft counter a lot of heavy infantry, pikes, puma, war clubs, qiang, pretty even with changdao. if they beat musks too, like hazza said, then their cav and their melee inf would both counter heavy inf, which should be the standard counter to a cav-melee inf combo. since rods have such high armour and speed they already can punish out of position goons hard, which makes them especially strong
France chronique
Advanced Player
ESO: poissondu44

Post by chronique »

I don't think spain need to be buff right now ^^
Germany Rohbrot
Howdah
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by Rohbrot »

dansil92 wrote:rodeleros already soft counter a lot of heavy infantry, pikes, puma, war clubs, qiang, pretty even with changdao. if they beat musks too, like hazza said, then their cav and their melee inf would both counter heavy inf, which should be the standard counter to a cav-melee inf combo. since rods have such high armour and speed they already can punish out of position goons hard, which makes them especially strong
Pumas win against age2 rods btw.
Spain pain train is real
No Flag Sergeant_Recker
Crossbow
ESO: Sergeant_Recker

Post by Sergeant_Recker »

I think they don't? That's 40% melee resistance vs 20% melee resistance. So pretty sure rods beat all pike type units. Afaik, only melee heavy infantry units that beat rods are normally expensive than them, dopps, rajputs and halbs for example.
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor

Post by dansil92 »

Sergeant_Recker wrote:I think they don't? That's 40% melee resistance vs 20% melee resistance. So pretty sure rods beat all pike type units. Afaik, only melee heavy infantry units that beat rods are normally expensive than them, dopps, rajputs and halbs for example.
jpk definitely do, ive had to use them against rod-lancer, im pretty sure puma just lose or at least feel like they lose
France Le Hussard sur le toit
Howdah
ESO: LeHussardsurletoit

Post by Le Hussard sur le toit »

dansil92 wrote:
Sergeant_Recker wrote:I think they don't? That's 40% melee resistance vs 20% melee resistance. So pretty sure rods beat all pike type units. Afaik, only melee heavy infantry units that beat rods are normally expensive than them, dopps, rajputs and halbs for example.
jpk definitely do, ive had to use them against rod-lancer, im pretty sure puma just lose or at least feel like they lose
Jpk have a bonus against HI don't they ?
ESOC : came for the game, stayed for the drama.
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor

Post by dansil92 »

Le Hussard sur le toit wrote:
dansil92 wrote:
Jpk have a bonus against HI don't they ?
yeah they absolutely crush other melee inf
Spain EfraĆ­n
Skirmisher
ESO: EfraĆ­n

Post by EfraĆ­n »

Rodelero needs a bit hp buff, not bonus.
Spain EfraĆ­n
Skirmisher
ESO: EfraĆ­n

Post by EfraĆ­n »

chronique wrote:I don't think spain need to be buff right now ^^
I didn't know there was a patch where there was a buff for Spain.
Spain MaxH
Crossbow

Post by MaxH »

EfraĆ­n wrote:Rodelero needs a bit hp buff, not bonus.
In my opinion, that would buff Rods against all other types of units which would be a little too much. A multiplier would be a more specific buff against HI.
France chronique
Advanced Player
ESO: poissondu44

Post by chronique »

Rods don't need to be buff guys...
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

but last time when I went 100% rod, I lost the game. so rods are too weak. get ur facts straight man

Beati pauperes spiritu.
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

It definitely makes no sense historically that rods counter cav and donā€™t counter heavy infantry. I think they were specifically used to counter pike formations. I always thought aoe3 should have a more reliable melee skirm like aom hypaspist
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor

Post by dansil92 »

Squamiger wrote:It definitely makes no sense historically that rods counter cav and donā€™t counter heavy infantry. I think they were specifically used to counter pike formations. I always thought aoe3 should have a more reliable melee skirm like aom hypaspist
while i 100% agree with you, it would be extremely silly to have both lancers and rods exactly overlap in role
Germany Rohbrot
Howdah
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by Rohbrot »

dansil92 wrote:
Squamiger wrote:It definitely makes no sense historically that rods counter cav and donā€™t counter heavy infantry. I think they were specifically used to counter pike formations. I always thought aoe3 should have a more reliable melee skirm like aom hypaspist
while i 100% agree with you, it would be extremely silly to have both lancers and rods exactly overlap in role
Make lancers have multi against heavy cav, to not overlap. :grin:
Spain pain train is real
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

Rohbrot wrote:
dansil92 wrote:
Make lancers have multi against heavy cav, to not overlap. :grin:
Finally. Lancers should have a cav multiplier, since they attack with a lance, just like Cheyenne Riders. There is a reason for lances being used in joustings.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

And they would then also be like their aom Greeks counterpart, the melee goon with a lance whose Greek name I forget
Argentina Jotunir
Howdah

Post by Jotunir »

Squamiger wrote:And they would then also be like their aom Greeks counterpart, the melee goon with a lance whose Greek name I forget
Prodromos.