Update 14825

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Re: Update 14825

Post by harcha »

yeah sweden should and probably will get scaled back soon
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Spain NekoBerk
Lancer
ESO: Nirket

Post by NekoBerk »

I'm prepared to watch a lot of Sweden Mirrors in this next event haha
"That's why we sing for these kids who don't have a thing
Except for a dream and a fuckin' rap magazine " - Eminem

"And we hate po-po
Wanna kill us dead in the street fo sho' " - Kendrick Lamar
Australia Kawapasaka
ESOC Pro Team

Post by Kawapasaka »

I think the only option Ger really has is tower rushing, which is still a long way off a guaranteed win ofc but yeah. The ability to contain is also hugely map dependent, like even more so than Japan kinda.
Great Britain CR_Joops
Skirmisher
ESO: CR_Joops

Post by CR_Joops »

I'm not speaking from a pro perspective here, but I think a decent nerf would maybe be torp HP. Or take the HP buff away from the HC card (dominions?). Age II they take absolutely forever to siege.

Further down the ladder Sweden's win % must be ridiculous - if even good players can't keep the torps from going up/staying up.
Germany InaLeto
Crossbow
ESO: InaLeto

Post by InaLeto »

I'm just an average gamer, with a better buddy who mostly does team games. Whenever a thought occurred to us after a team game with a Swede as an opponent, it was always exactly this from us:
Kaiserklein wrote:Can't make a mistake but they can make plenty
Of course, I also make a lot of mistakes, but the reason for my comment is this: With no other civilization do we have such a striking and recurring thought ...
Great Britain I_HaRRiiSoN_I
Retired Contributor

Post by I_HaRRiiSoN_I »

NekoBerk wrote:I'm prepared to watch a lot of Sweden Mirrors in this next event haha
At least there is a rule of you can win with a civ once. Im not actually sure many players actually play sweden to a decent level. I think some players though are going to take a look into learning the civ as a tactical counter pick civ
No Flag Astaroth
Howdah

Post by Astaroth »

@Kaiserklein good points.

I'm far from giving you advice, but just theorizing and judging from the games I've seen, I do agree that either a tower rush or a fast aggro FF would probably work best vs. this age2 mass Sweden build. He doesn't have a lot of stuff early age2 and 2 leathers die fast if he doesn't have mass or walls.

But yeah, Sweden can adapt and maybe semi themselves, Idk.

Still, overall I feel the civ needs to be explored more, by everyone. People are just too fast to call for either nerfs or buffs IMO.
No Flag helln00
Howdah
ESO: helln00

Post by helln00 »

I mean reading the patch notes , the only real buff that swedes got was in the timing flexibility for blueberries and crossbow. I would still want the whole max torp per mine to be 4 rather than 6, I think thats too much but otherwise like mechanically they are more similar to the last patch then the before their big nerf
French Southern Territories kevinitalien
Lancer
ESO: KEVINITALIEN
Clan: PLOP

Post by kevinitalien »

helln00 wrote:I mean reading the patch notes , the only real buff that swedes got was in the timing flexibility for blueberries and crossbow. I would still want the whole max torp per mine to be 4 rather than 6, I think thats too much but otherwise like mechanically they are more similar to the last patch then the before their big nerf
forgot you about the wood start, ok before it was not super strong because blueberry were not so strong, but now there is the wood start with normal blueberry
Image Image
No Flag helln00
Howdah
ESO: helln00

Post by helln00 »

kevinitalien wrote:
helln00 wrote:I mean reading the patch notes , the only real buff that swedes got was in the timing flexibility for blueberries and crossbow. I would still want the whole max torp per mine to be 4 rather than 6, I think thats too much but otherwise like mechanically they are more similar to the last patch then the before their big nerf
forgot you about the wood start, ok before it was not super strong because blueberry were not so strong, but now there is the wood start with normal blueberry
Hmm forgot about that. But even so, considering how the BO is now with starting 3 vil , dominion, 700 wood , blueberry. Is the wood start the thing that makes it OP here?

A simple fix I think is just to nerf the gather rate on blueberries. Or if we want to make their eco more fragile then remove the HP effect of Dominion.
French Southern Territories kevinitalien
Lancer
ESO: KEVINITALIEN
Clan: PLOP

Post by kevinitalien »

helln00 wrote:
kevinitalien wrote:
Hmm forgot about that. But even so, considering how the BO is now with starting 3 vil , dominion, 700 wood , blueberry. Is the wood start the thing that makes it OP here?

A simple fix I think is just to nerf the gather rate on blueberries. Or if we want to make their eco more fragile then remove the HP effect of Dominion.
I would say tp age 1 3v blueberry
Image Image
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Yeah wood start is big for this kind of house booming civ obviously.
Kawapasaka wrote:I think the only option Ger really has is tower rushing, which is still a long way off a guaranteed win ofc but yeah. The ability to contain is also hugely map dependent, like even more so than Japan kinda.
Tower rushing is absolutely useless because of leather cannons / their own tower in base
Astaroth wrote:@Kaiserklein good points.

I'm far from giving you advice, but just theorizing and judging from the games I've seen, I do agree that either a tower rush or a fast aggro FF would probably work best vs. this age2 mass Sweden build. He doesn't have a lot of stuff early age2 and 2 leathers die fast if he doesn't have mass or walls.

But yeah, Sweden can adapt and maybe semi themselves, Idk.

Still, overall I feel the civ needs to be explored more, by everyone. People are just too fast to call for either nerfs or buffs IMO.
2 leather cannons totally hold with mm or even just 10 caroleans. You can't go in his base because of the tower either, so you'll just be able to siege maybe 1 torp and then he has caroleans + cannons and your units are useless.
FF sounds decent, but again I think by the time you've crossed the map and started pushing their base, they're already fortress and hold you with falcs, jaegers or whatever, with way more eco. Not to mention you can't risk pushing out without WWs or BR (because if they're colo or even just made huss while aging you're fucked) and getting those just slows you down (1 min both for training WWs and sending mercs). As you can see in that game, I assumed he was aging, tried pushing without ranged cav and died.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Australia JKProwler
Dragoon

Post by JKProwler »

Kawapasaka wrote:I think the only option Ger really has is tower rushing, which is still a long way off a guaranteed win ofc but yeah. The ability to contain is also hugely map dependent, like even more so than Japan kinda.
This seems like a viable option for Germany.

The amount of units Germany can pop out before Swedes can get any meaningful mass will just be overwhelming if Swedes decide to do the max torps greedy build.
Switzerland bsound7
Crossbow
ESO: tomdelonge7

Post by bsound7 »

i feel like the possibilty to fast age with this huge eco might be a problem as well. Where as this makes brit vulnerable for example, sweden can just fast age and they only need to upgrade caros and huss
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Yeah fast age is an issue.
JKProwler wrote:
This seems like a viable option for Germany.

The amount of units Germany can pop out before Swedes can get any meaningful mass will just be overwhelming if Swedes decide to do the max torps greedy build.
They don't have to go max torp pop if you commit to tower rushing. It means you're shipping units first instead of 3 sw or 700w, and you delay (or even cut) your TP. Surely sweden can just slow down their boom a bit and hold, while still being ahead in eco, and with better units...
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Spain NekoBerk
Lancer
ESO: Nirket

Post by NekoBerk »

This civ booms with houses, has a fast age up, they have age 2 cannons, they have xbows, their caroleans are better than regular musks, with so much gold they can spam cannons and mercs. I'm not an expert but this seems too much. Like... This civ is like even easier to use than ottos
"That's why we sing for these kids who don't have a thing
Except for a dream and a fuckin' rap magazine " - Eminem

"And we hate po-po
Wanna kill us dead in the street fo sho' " - Kendrick Lamar
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

The longer you slow down the torp boom though the worse blueberries becomes, so its a big plus for the opponent.
mad cuz bad
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Just remove blueberrys or make it back to how it was last patch
No Flag Cleters
Skirmisher
ESO: Cleters

Post by Cleters »

NekoBerk wrote:This civ booms with houses, has a fast age up, they have age 2 cannons, they have xbows, their caroleans are better than regular musks, with so much gold they can spam cannons and mercs. I'm not an expert but this seems too much. Like... This civ is like even easier to use than ottos

Kind of agree. I don't have much problem with swed (instead of inca for exemple :D), they're not that hard to beat. But seeing things said that way, it seems a bit too much.
United States of America Dolphincup
Musketeer
ESO: Dolphincup

Post by Dolphincup »

Kaiserklein wrote:Naked FF could work better, but in theory sweden can just adapt and FF themselves, and then I don't think germany has a window to really do any damage.
This is the only point I would argue against. Sweden opening vills has to send all of dominions, 700w, blueberries in age 2 or they're bad. If they open TP they might be able to squeeze a single Age III shipment in before you hit, but that's not adaptive. If they don't open TP, I don't think they can easily adapt to a naked FF. they're pretty stuck with their first 4-5 shipments.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Swedes don't have to send domions nor bluberries.
3v 700w irownwork build is still quite strong.

Also on an unrelated note I think Swedes now can do the bow pike FI right?
Image Image Image
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

Garja wrote:Swedes don't have to send domions nor bluberries.
3v 700w irownwork build is still quite strong.

Also on an unrelated note I think Swedes now can do the bow pike FI right?
they can't get guard crossbow, they didnt enable that tech when they added the units
mad cuz bad
France Le Hussard sur le toit
Howdah
ESO: LeHussardsurletoit

Post by Le Hussard sur le toit »

Dolphincup wrote:
Kaiserklein wrote:Naked FF could work better, but in theory sweden can just adapt and FF themselves, and then I don't think germany has a window to really do any damage.
This is the only point I would argue against. Sweden opening vills has to send all of dominions, 700w, blueberries in age 2 or they're bad. If they open TP they might be able to squeeze a single Age III shipment in before you hit, but that's not adaptive. If they don't open TP, I don't think they can easily adapt to a naked FF. they're pretty stuck with their first 4-5 shipments.
Why would Sweden need to send 3 eco shipments in age 2 ? If Germany goes for a naked FF, Sweden eco will be ahead in any case and they can fast age (unlike brits).
ESOC : came for the game, stayed for the drama.
United States of America Dolphincup
Musketeer
ESO: Dolphincup

Post by Dolphincup »

Sure Sweden doesn't NEED to ship dominion, 700w, blueberries, but this is the supposed OP build. I agree sweden is viable w/o blueberries or dominions, especially w/ 200f bushes, but they aren't going to have the same mass with the same timing if they skip a step.

edit: my previous post did say they'd be bad if skipping one of those shipments. overly dramatic on my part. I think sweden has many viable builds.
France Le Hussard sur le toit
Howdah
ESO: LeHussardsurletoit

Post by Le Hussard sur le toit »

It's not the most OP build, it's the most greedy build. Brits don't send VC every game, Dutch don't go 5 bank semi-FF every game, Japanese don't go heavenly kami max pop every game. You have to adapt to your opponent civ.
ESOC : came for the game, stayed for the drama.