we really need a working spectator mode for live casting games. go upvote this on the official forums if you agree

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.

since this appears to be controversial, do you think live casting is a priority or nah

yea
90%
nah
10%

Total votes: 60

United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

we really need a working spectator mode for live casting games. go upvote this on the official forums if you agree

Post by Squamiger »

https://forums.ageofempires.com/t/pleas ... mes/117283

reposted from there:

"This honestly should be top priority for AoE3 DE, more than any other issue like balance. We had approximately 620-630 people on twitch for the Challenger Cup tournament match between Kevin and Haitch today, and it was STILL with games being casted from recorded games, because spectator mode just doesn’t work. Aizamk’s spectator mode was amazing for EP-- it allowed a super easy to use, in depth spectator analysis of techs and shipments with an economy and military score, that allowed live casting.

If we can get 600+ people to watch recorded games, imagine how much more hype there will be if we can actually cast games live. This would be a huge draw to increase the viewership and playerbase of aoe3.

Why is it so hard for the mods to develop a working spectator UI, like we had on EP? Why isn’t this a higher priority?"

do people agree? I feel like this is one of those issues that everyone agrees needs to happen but it doesnt feel as personally pressing as when, say, your favorite civ didn't get a buff, so no one has really agitated for it as strongly as we should.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Re: we really need a working spectator mode for live casting games. go upvote this on the official forums if you agree

Post by gibson »

I'm probably in the minority here, but it literally doesn't matter if its live or not. As long as results don't leak. Even if it did matter, its stupid to say that this should be a top priority when there's so many other issues.
Germany miggo1999_
Skirmisher
ESO: india_bot1999

Re: we really need a working spectator mode for live casting games. go upvote this on the official forums if you agree

Post by miggo1999_ »

I think this is definitely top priority, cause it's not only about the big esoc streams, but also all the smaller streams being able to use this tool. I don't know what should be higher priority, other than stuff like fixing the game deleting files
European Union aaryngend
Howdah
Clan: N3O

Post by aaryngend »

Yes this is a top priority. But it's not just spectator mode - even watching replays has so many issues, it's annoying. I think both issues are intertwined in a way or two.
Can't use most arrow keys to move the camera and the most pressing issue is the overall low performance while watching games. After all, it's a very laggy experience, even on high-end rigs.
Howdah

Post by Squamiger »

gibson wrote:I'm probably in the minority here, but it literally doesn't matter if its live or not. As long as results don't leak. Even if it did matter, its stupid to say that this should be a top priority when there's so many other issues.
the game is not fully balanced but its basically balanced enough to have competitive tournaments. and there are bugs and things but people can work around them. but live casting is so much better just because it feels so much more tense and high stakes as a viewer, and it also changes the atmosphere of the game for the players even, I think, when they know people are watching them as they play. it's like the difference between the world series with a stadium of 70,000 people vs. the one we had last year where it was a stadium full of cardboard cut outs. I think if you want aoe3 to grow as a competitive game, live casting is a must.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

The issue is with spectating in general, it literally doesnt matter if its live or recorded.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Squamiger wrote:
gibson wrote:I'm probably in the minority here, but it literally doesn't matter if its live or not. As long as results don't leak. Even if it did matter, its stupid to say that this should be a top priority when there's so many other issues.
the game is not fully balanced but its basically balanced enough to have competitive tournaments. and there are bugs and things but people can work around them. but live casting is so much better just because it feels so much more tense and high stakes as a viewer, and it also changes the atmosphere of the game for the players even, I think, when they know people are watching them as they play. it's like the difference between the world series with a stadium of 70,000 people vs. the one we had last year where it was a stadium full of cardboard cut outs. I think if you want aoe3 to grow as a competitive game, live casting is a must.
Its literally not. If you tuned into a game and someone told you it was live even though it was recorded you literally wouldn't know the difference. The issue is your mindset.
Howdah

Post by Squamiger »

yes its absolutely about the mindset. prerecorded games don't have the same magic
Germany miggo1999_
Skirmisher

Post by miggo1999_ »

@gibson it's definitely not the same experience however, also what's missing is seeing the players in the lobby counterpicking MU's and stuff (which might never be possible with the new implementation)
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

there is less salt with recordings so that might be healthier for the community. What worries me is that recordings might get owned with an unexpected update.
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

It may something have to do with how Aiz UI worked. Not sure but it might be a legal issue for MS to implement it as it is.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
France flontier
Lancer
Intermediate Division Winner
ESO: Flontier
Clan: PLOP

Post by flontier »

Well i really miss live bm
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

miggo1999_ wrote:how is there less salt? lol
because the audience doesn't see all of the chat, pauses, civ picks, and casters don't interact with players
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Germany miggo1999_
Skirmisher

Post by miggo1999_ »

the fact that the post-game chat doesn't show leads to less salt in twitch I agree
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

miggo1999_ wrote:@gibson it's definitely not the same experience however, also what's missing is seeing the players in the lobby counterpicking MU's and stuff (which might never be possible with the new implementation)
But like you said, thats gone regardless so why does it matter?
European Union aaryngend
Howdah
Clan: N3O

Post by aaryngend »

harcha wrote:there is less salt with recordings so that might be healthier for the community. What worries me is that recordings might get owned with an unexpected update.
How? Did you see that 1$ donation message by Kaiserklein when Haitch lost the first game? "I could win this easily" :!:
Canada vividlyplain
Lancer
ESO: vividlyplain

Post by vividlyplain »

gibson wrote:The issue is with spectating in general, it literally doesnt matter if its live or recorded.
It does for many people. It's inherently less exciting from the outset. For me, I'm instantly disinterested by any event that isn't unfolding live before my eyes. It's just part of the sports/esports experience!
Germany miggo1999_
Skirmisher

Post by miggo1999_ »

gibson wrote:
miggo1999_ wrote:@gibson it's definitely not the same experience however, also what's missing is seeing the players in the lobby counterpicking MU's and stuff (which might never be possible with the new implementation)
cause again just because you don't feel like it being live matters, most ppl do. It's not the same feeling when you watch an important match casted live, than from a rec
Germany miggo1999_
Skirmisher

Post by miggo1999_ »

and telling all ppl to 'change their mindset' on this, won't work
Austria knusch
Pro Player
EWTDonator 01

Post by knusch »

obvsly live casting is way better and aiz's UI was just from another lvl compared the non existing one on DE.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

vividlyplain wrote:
gibson wrote:The issue is with spectating in general, it literally doesnt matter if its live or recorded.
It does for many people. It's inherently less exciting from the outset. For me, I'm instantly disinterested by any event that isn't unfolding live before my eyes. It's just part of the sports/esports experience!
So what if you tuned into a game, and asked if this was live or recorded, and someone told you it was live. Would you know the difference? Also it was never unfolding live before your eyes, there was always a delay of at least 2 minutes.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

knusch wrote:obvsly live casting is way better and aiz's UI was just from another lvl compared the non existing one on DE.
U mean the ui that caused lag in countless tourney games?
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

miggo1999_ wrote:
gibson wrote:
cause again just because you don't feel like it being live matters, most ppl do. It's not the same feeling when you watch an important match casted live, than from a rec
So you do understand that there's practically no difference, its just about what people "feel".
Germany miggo1999_
Skirmisher

Post by miggo1999_ »

well you have obviously made up your mind, so it's pointless arguing here