CORRECT Pronunciation of "Cuirassier"

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
Great Britain I_HaRRiiSoN_I
Retired Contributor

Re: CORRECT Pronunciation of "Cuirassier"

Post by I_HaRRiiSoN_I »

Le Hussard sur le toit wrote:
I_HaRRiiSoN_I wrote: If it was spelt the same as it sounded then i might have a chance here.
If it was pronounced how it is read, I would read it more easily.

I don't think English people can complain about French pronunciation...
how can i give 10 likes for this?
European Union aaryngend
Howdah
Clan: N3O

Post by aaryngend »

You guys got it all wrong.
Cuirassier is not only a french word, it is an english word too (they borrowed it from the français)!
So it is correct to pronounce it the english way in this case.

We also took the word 'Pommes frites' from the belgian and pronounce it our way. No one complains.
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

what do you mean, english is spelled exactly how it's pronounced

(wa-hat doe yo-uh me-ahn, english is spel-led ex-actluy ho-wa it's pro-no-uhnk-ed)
European Union scarm
Howdah
ESO: Malebranche

Post by scarm »

No, you guys pronounce E as i and i as ei which is weird. Then there's the french who pronounce e as ö which is even weirder. Learn german man. :pop:

Put differently yeah ofc to an english person english pronounciation is natural. personally, i would agree though that english is more straightforward in that regard than french, although i find the french pronounciations quite intuitive for the most part as well.
European Union scarm
Howdah

Post by scarm »

aaryngend wrote:You guys got it all wrong.
Cuirassier is not only a french word, it is an english word too (they borrowed it from the français)!

We also took the word 'Pommes frites' from the belgian and pronounce it our way. No one complains.
Well this is true which is why i think it does not really matter, pronounce it queer-asser for all i care. But if you wanna be nitpicky about pronouncing it the french way is kinda the 'most correct' because thats its etymologic origin afaik. It also just sounds the most badass if you ask me. Point being, criticising one anglophone way to say it to replace it with another anglophone way of saying it is kinda pointless imo.
United States of America Seamonk
Musketeer

Post by Seamonk »

So while this unit is French only in AOE3, Cuirassiers were not only used by the French. Many nations fielded cuirassiers over the years. There is an English (and probably other languages) pronunciation that was used when the unit was popular.

You can attempt to pronounce it in French, but that shouldn't be the standard that people are held to.

In English, the pronunciation is like musketeer. Pikeman and bowman pronunciation are similar, but with different equipment. Musketeer and cuirassier are similar, but with different equipment. So 'cuirass' + 'eer'. Cuirass ending in 's' will make the 'eer' naturally sound more like 'ier' (at least for American English speakers).

So in English, its similar to musketeer. Sub out the 'musket' for 'cuirass', and it'll come out right.
European Union aaryngend
Howdah
Clan: N3O

Post by aaryngend »

scarm wrote:
aaryngend wrote:You guys got it all wrong.

Well this is true which is why i think it does not really matter, pronounce it queer-asser for all i care. But if you wanna be nitpicky about pronouncing it the french way is kinda the 'most correct' because thats its etymologic origin afaik. It also just sounds the most badass if you ask me. Point being, criticising one anglophone way to say it to replace it with another anglophone way of saying it is kinda pointless imo.
Since the casting language is english, having to switch accents and pronounciations because of one word is... tiresome.
European Union scarm
Howdah

Post by scarm »

Yes, which is why i am saying this thread is pointless, just call it whatever you like.
France Le Hussard sur le toit
Howdah
ESO: LeHussardsurletoit

Post by Le Hussard sur le toit »

French pronunciation is very different from other language, but at least the rules are relatively consistent (pronunciation may depend on etymology though so it is quite difficult to get it right).
German is super straightforward and easy.

English is a whole other level. For what mysterious reason "put" and "cut" are pronounced so differently ? What kind of devil, what kind of strange secret cult decided that "read" would be pronounced differently depending on the time ? Why can't they just pronounce the vowels as in the alphabet ?
Maybe it's the weather ? Maybe it's the food ? Who knows...
ESOC : came for the game, stayed for the drama.
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

Because English as a language developed through infusion various other languages.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

do

go

why are these pronounced so differently
France Le Hussard sur le toit
Howdah
ESO: LeHussardsurletoit

Post by Le Hussard sur le toit »

princeofcarthage wrote:Because English as a language developed through infusion various other languages.
As is every other language.
ESOC : came for the game, stayed for the drama.
France ǝɯɐuɹǝsn
Dragoon

Post by ǝɯɐuɹǝsn »

ParamedicEMT wrote:Between watching streamers and the casting of tournaments on ESOCommunity it seems like i've heard "Cuirassier" pronounced every kind of possible way. Having family in France I checked on the correct way to say it and it is as such...
"Kwur-ah-si-ay""

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE2Z8e_ ... =emb_title

Hope this helps everyone!
oh man, the voice in the video is so virile
Retired Contributor

princeofcarthage wrote:Because English as a language developed through infusion various other languages.
No. Languages had to start somewhere, so some languages have to be pure.
Argentina Jotunir
Howdah

Post by Jotunir »

princeofcarthage wrote:
Language is constantly adapting and changing to reflect our changing lives, experiences and cultures. As cultures interact, mix and trade, language shifts to accommodate these changes. There is no such thing as a "pure" language and there has never been.
Retired Contributor

Jotunir wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Language is constantly adapting and changing to reflect our changing lives, experiences and cultures. As cultures interact, mix and trade, language shifts to accommodate these changes. There is no such thing as a "pure" language and there has never been.
It is true that pure languages don't exist in widespread use currently but they existed long ago. One example of current language being pure is the sentinelese or the language of the people on North Sentinel Island. They are totally isolated and have refused any outside contact (by being aggressive).
Argentina Jotunir
Howdah

Post by Jotunir »

princeofcarthage wrote:
Jotunir wrote:
Show hidden quotes
It is true that pure languages don't exist in widespread use currently but they existed long ago. One example of current language being pure is the sentinelese or the language of the people on North Sentinel Island. They are totally isolated and have refused any outside contact (by being aggressive).
But language changes over time, wether we can see it or not. These are normal mutations that naturally tend to occur. To me pure means consolidated and immutable which by the way it also means it is a dead language.
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

I literally say saffee
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
Argentina Jotunir
Howdah

Post by Jotunir »

"Cuirassier" reminds me of this every time I hear it:
https://tv.getyarn.io/yarn-clip/5c0a06b ... 520aa5cbb5
European Union scarm
Howdah

Post by scarm »

Btw. another strange difference in english pronunciation: lead and lead.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

scarm wrote:Btw. another strange difference in english pronunciation: lead and lead.
It's not that strange tbh
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
European Union scarm
Howdah

Post by scarm »

Well it's the exact same word with two different ways to pronounce it depending on the intended meaning.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

scarm wrote:Well it's the exact same word with two different ways to pronounce it depending on the intended meaning.
I know. That's not strange
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Retired Contributor

Jotunir wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:
Show hidden quotes
But language changes over time, wether we can see it or not. These are normal mutations that naturally tend to occur. To me pure means consolidated and immutable which by the way it also means it is a dead language.

1) What pure means to you is irrelevant.

All languages change over time as new discoveries and inventions happen. Mutations happen due to these very discoveries, inventions, and generational changes, to put rather simply. The only question which arises is whether they are natural or had any foreign interference. In my above mentioned ex. Of sentinelese people, they have been isolated for thousands of years without any foreign influence.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Gonna create a "correct pronunciation of Waardgelder" thread one day.