Why do Crossbows have 1.25x multiplier vs HI instead of 2x?

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
Spain MaxH
Crossbow

Why do Crossbows have 1.25x multiplier vs HI instead of 2x?

Post by MaxH »

I was wondering why crossbows have a lower multiplier against HI than other ranged infantry. They seem to do pretty poorly against an equal amount of musketeers because of this.
France Le Hussard sur le toit
Howdah
ESO: LeHussardsurletoit

Re: Why do Crossbows have 1.25x multiplier vs HI instead of 2x?

Post by Le Hussard sur le toit »

Because it's cool that different units have different multipliers.
ESOC : came for the game, stayed for the drama.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Because archer type units have more base damage but less multiplier. The issue with xbows is that they have mediocre base damage and also low multiplier.
Image Image Image
Spain yoqpasa
Lancer
ESO: yoqpasa

Post by yoqpasa »

And counter ashis, caroleans or sepoys? You wish.

Honestly x2 seems to much for a 80 resources unit. 32 damage is insane. Skirmishers makes 36 dmg vs HI for example.

But yeah, xbows make x2 vs goons and nobody complains. I think 1.5 would be fair enough.

No Flag helln00
Howdah
ESO: helln00

Post by helln00 »

I think its so that they roughly deal the same amount of damage to musks in age 2 and vice versa since 16*1.25 = 20 and musks have 23 atk.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

yoqpasa wrote:And counter ashis, caroleans or sepoys? You wish.

Honestly x2 seems to much for a 80 resources unit. 32 damage is insane. Skirmishers makes 36 dmg vs HI for example.

But yeah, xbows make x2 vs goons and nobody complains. I think 1.5 would be fair enough.
Well skirms do 30 in colo, so yeah 32 is too much. 1.5 multiplier could have been fine maybe.
Xbows do x1.5 vs goons though. It's x2 vs ranged cav but also x0.75 vs all cav. Unless that was changed on DE
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
No Flag helln00
Howdah

Post by helln00 »

Kaiserklein wrote:
yoqpasa wrote:And counter ashis, caroleans or sepoys? You wish.

Well skirms do 30 in colo, so yeah 32 is too much. 1.5 multiplier could have been fine maybe.
Xbows do x1.5 vs goons though. It's x2 vs ranged cav but also x0.75 vs all cav. Unless that was changed on DE
That really puts into perspective how powerful ckn are in colonial, they deal same damage as skirm
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

Well yeah it's an extremely strong unit. But the only strong one they get
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Argentina Jets
Dragoon
ESO: SsJetstream
Clan: FPL

Post by Jets »

xbows have the HP buff at the arsenal, too lame it's only an age3 thing unless you get advanced arsenal, and by that time you switch to skirms.
Indonesia arivus
Musketeer

Post by arivus »

I prefer that they keep the multiplier and damage, but instead changing their multiplier to infantry than HI, so they can also be used to counter skirmisher.
No Flag helln00
Howdah

Post by helln00 »

arivus wrote:I prefer that they keep the multiplier and damage, but instead changing their multiplier to infantry than HI, so they can also be used to counter skirmisher.
that would also mean that they counter themselves, which could be interesting
Indonesia arivus
Musketeer

Post by arivus »

helln00 wrote:
arivus wrote:I prefer that they keep the multiplier and damage, but instead changing their multiplier to infantry than HI, so they can also be used to counter skirmisher.
Yup, and I forgot to add that the multiplier change should come with the Guard upgrade just to make them have use in age4.
Spain Efraín
Skirmisher
ESO: Efraín

Post by Efraín »

Comparing with the chukonu and the cost of the unit, it should have a bonus x1.75 vs HI (or x1.5 as minimum). Maybe is better x1.5.
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Post by chris1089 »

Efraín wrote:Comparing with the chukonu and the cost of the unit, it should have a bonus x1.75 vs HI (or x1.5 as minimum). Maybe is better x1.5.
As said above, the chokonu is particularly strong. Therefore it should not be the baseline with which to compare crossbows.
Argentina Jets
Dragoon

Post by Jets »

helln00 wrote:
Cheyenne Riders, JPK.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

Jets wrote:
helln00 wrote:
Cheyenne Riders, JPK.
Culvs, RR, ninjas...
Spain Efraín
Skirmisher

Post by Efraín »

chris1089 wrote:
Efraín wrote:Comparing with the chukonu and the cost of the unit, it should have a bonus x1.75 vs HI (or x1.5 as minimum). Maybe is better x1.5.
As said above, the chokonu is particularly strong. Therefore it should not be the baseline with which to compare crossbows.
True, CKNs are strong, but that doesn't mean the crossbowman doesn't need a x1.5 bonus, as they look particularly weak at x1.25 imo.
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Post by chris1089 »

Efraín wrote:
chris1089 wrote:
True, CKNs are strong, but that doesn't mean the crossbowman doesn't need a x1.5 bonus, as they look particularly weak at x1.25 imo.
I'd probably agree that 1.25 is weak. Doesn't change the fact that arguing from a false premise - comparing it to the chokonu as a baseline - is faulty argumentation.
If you start by assuming that the square root of 2 can be written as the ratio of 2 distinct integers with no cofactors you get to dodgy conclusions.
Spain Efraín
Skirmisher

Post by Efraín »

chris1089 wrote:
Efraín wrote:
Show hidden quotes
I'd probably agree that 1.25 is weak. Doesn't change the fact that arguing from a false premise - comparing it to the chokonu as a baseline - is faulty argumentation.
If you start by assuming that the square root of 2 can be written as the ratio of 2 distinct integers with no cofactors you get to dodgy conclusions.
It is correct and that, curiously, I usually do personal balances based on the standard unit (xbow, huss, pikeman, musk).
Argentina Jets
Dragoon

Post by Jets »

x1.5 vs HI would encourage civs to train xbows instead of going pure musketeer war against jap, brits, sweden and otto. Right now, all those musketeers from the previous civs that I mentioned wreck xbows because of their stats.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

It's not that simple. Bows do fine in low numbers vs basically any musk unit. You're able to kite enough musks so when they finally catch up you just win the fight. Let's not pretend the unit can't beat musks.

The problem is just that past a certain mass they become mediocre vs musks, because with some cav snaring the musks catch up and then bows suck. Also with overkill, the proportion of musks you kill before they catch up just isn't as big a in low numbers anyway.
France Le Hussard sur le toit
Howdah
ESO: LeHussardsurletoit

Post by Le Hussard sur le toit »

Ashis are a bit of an exception I think because their speed make them harder to kite. Xbows should have a specific multiplier against ashis...
ESOC : came for the game, stayed for the drama.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

Nah even vs ashis they're okay if it's e.g 15 bows vs 12 ashis (or some similar proportions in low numbers). Though it's easy to fuck up the micro obviously.
No Flag helln00
Howdah

Post by helln00 »

I think if you want to buff xbows look to how lbs are upgraded, I think a +1 range with the vet tech and another +1 for the guard tech (so 18 range total) is sufficient by allowing them to kite better in small masses.