Sore loser threatened to hack me and knows my real name, should I be worried?

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
No Flag manwithoutname
Skirmisher

Sore loser threatened to hack me and knows my real name, should I be worried?

Post by manwithoutname »

I recently played a ranked game via the quicksearch, and form the start my opponent was trash talking me, saying 'you're garbage' and so on.. I ignored it at first, but when I started to gain the upper hand I decided to tease him, saying stuff like 'are you there, or afk' and so on.

When I finally won, I said 'easy', which seemed to infuriate him. This is where it became concerning: apparently steam used my real name.last name as my profile account. He copy pasted it, and said '@gmail.com'? Prepare to get lynched irl, say goodbye to your e-mail and so on.

I have now obviously changed my profile name, but should I be concerned? Should I report this somewhere? I do remember the name of the opponent.
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team
ESO: challenger_marco

Re: Sore loser threatened to hack me and knows my real name, should I be worried?

Post by Challenger_Marco »

Nah unless hes a big hacker you shouldn't be worried hes just toying you and make you feel scared.
:nwc:
Great Britain I_HaRRiiSoN_I
Retired Contributor

Re: Sore loser threatened to hack me and knows my real name, should I be worried?

Post by I_HaRRiiSoN_I »

if you havent played a game since, in game messages are saved in a rec. Also make use of the report player function in game and block aswell.
European Union scarm
Howdah
ESO: Malebranche

Post by scarm »

It would also be advisable to check your passwords for doublets and reasonable safety, and use one of these services that compare your email to databases of known data leaks, although i can't remember a link to one, maybe someone can help out. He probably just is trying to scare you like marco suggested, but it never hurts to be safe.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Im sorry for what happened and I hope things will be fine.

But I cant help to point out the ironic username you have
Germany miggo1999_
Skirmisher
ESO: india_bot1999

Post by miggo1999_ »

sounds more like he's just trying to mess with you. I wouldn't worry, but I would keep an eye on it.
No Flag manwithoutname
Skirmisher

Post by manwithoutname »

RefluxSemantic wrote:Im sorry for what happened and I hope things will be fine.

But I cant help to point out the ironic username you have
Hahaha, true
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

@manwithoutname Invite him to your house and beat his ass
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

fightinfrenchman wrote:@manwithoutname Invite him to your house and beat his ass
When are you going to invite me to wildwood?

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Riotcoke wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:@manwithoutname Invite him to your house and beat his ass
When are you going to invite me to wildwood?
This summer if you're vaxxed
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

manwithoutname wrote: Prepare to get lynched irl, say goodbye to your e-mail and so on.
Didn't you reply 28 and 21?
Image Image Image
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

Garja wrote:
manwithoutname wrote: Prepare to get lynched irl, say goodbye to your e-mail and so on.
Didn't you type 28 and 21?
lol was it you?
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Hazza54321 wrote:
Garja wrote:
Didn't you type 28 and 21?
lol was it you?
?
I'm gonna edit the message, forgot it's hard to convey right information over the internet.
Image Image Image
Australia JKProwler
Dragoon

Post by JKProwler »

Lol dude don't get worried about it. All he has is your email address which is simple to find for anyone.

Worst he can do is find your LinkedIn, Facebook etc.. and start slandering u there. BUT what low life would stoop that low. And who would take him seriously?
European Union aaryngend
Howdah
Clan: N3O

Post by aaryngend »

manwithoutname wrote:apparently steam used my real name.last name as my profile account. He copy pasted it, and said '@gmail.com'? Prepare to get lynched irl, say goodbye to your e-mail and so on.
Steam didn't use that or put that in, that was you. Never use any parts of your e-mail(or even your real name) as a nickname, as that makes them trying to guess the rest (gmail is very widespread) very easy and he can try to spam "reset password" e-mails.

All new Steam users start without a profile, so if you set up one with filling anything in, I think it might use a nickname based on the e-mail adress you used.

Putting your real name as your account details is fine, that information can only be viewed by Steam, not by outside users. So don't be discouraged to do that because of this ordeal.
Canada Cocaine
Lancer
ESO: Cow God

Post by Cocaine »

Bro the day someone actually tries to fuck someone in real life because of being beat in a computer game is going to be the first time ever. Find his username, tell him you're going to do unspeakable things to his mother, and then see what he does lol
A little Cocaine never hurt nobody!

Canada Cocaine
Lancer
ESO: Cow God

Post by Cocaine »

Wait, tell me his username. I will invite him to my home for a rumble.
A little Cocaine never hurt nobody!

Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Definitely report him. Not only is the statement concerning, but it's also downright illegal, which is something gaming providers tend to act upon. Report the player to both Microsoft and Steam
No Flag manwithoutname
Skirmisher

Post by manwithoutname »

aaryngend wrote:
manwithoutname wrote:apparently steam used my real name.last name as my profile account. He copy pasted it, and said '@gmail.com'? Prepare to get lynched irl, say goodbye to your e-mail and so on.
Steam didn't use that or put that in, that was you. Never use any parts of your e-mail(or even your real name) as a nickname, as that makes them trying to guess the rest (gmail is very widespread) very easy and he can try to spam "reset password" e-mails.

All new Steam users start without a profile, so if you set up one with filling anything in, I think it might use a nickname based on the e-mail adress you used.

Putting your real name as your account details is fine, that information can only be viewed by Steam, not by outside users. So don't be discouraged to do that because of this ordeal.
I think I didn't fill in any name at all in my steam profile, which is why they used my e-mail address minus the '@gmail.com' by default, probably. Little did I know that it would also be used as my in-game profile, I don't play any multiplayer games outside of AOE.
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Post by Papist »

Probably nothing to worry about. Though if it makes you feel better, you can change your email passwords and add two factor authentication.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Papist wrote:Probably nothing to worry about. Though if it makes you feel better, you can change your email passwords and add two factor authentication.
oos
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Post by Papist »

gibson wrote:
Papist wrote:Probably nothing to worry about. Though if it makes you feel better, you can change your email passwords and add two factor authentication.
oos
Fix your avatar
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

He needs to fix a lot more than his avatar.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Papist wrote:
gibson wrote:
oos
Fix your avatar
Fix your OOS
No Flag Finding15
Crossbow
ESO: laxrossi15

Post by Finding15 »

A simple 18 followed by 21 should take care of this problem lol