Pikes too weak for their cost?

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
No Flag helln00
Howdah
ESO: helln00

Re: Pikes too weak for their cost?

Post by helln00 »

Le Hussard sur le toit wrote:Basically all civs with pikes train them regularly (not in every game every MU but in a significant number of them). This is a much better state in the meta than halbs for example.
come on halb 4.5 speed (or 4.25 speed anything above 4 really)
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

Halbs are fine, stop trying to make halbs a thing. You really want civs to be spamming halbs like caroleans? How would that be good for the game? Halbs are supposed to be very situational units with some very specific uses, which they are currently, which is good. You throw 5 of them into your line of muskets if your opponents is going for a hard cav switch, or you make 15 to go siege a TP and break a trade monopoly.

I really think the people who want halbs to be a speedy unit that gets used in every game and spammed like muskets are just bored of this game and want to play a different one. Halbs are an age 3 unit, which is supposed to be an age dominate by lines of musket men and rifles. Halberds were carried by officers into the 19th century but they were never used by an entire unit after the 16th-17 century really, aka age 2

The only thing I think could happen would be to buff the logistician for Dutch so their age 2 halbs could be a little more worth it
No Flag helln00
Howdah
ESO: helln00

Post by helln00 »

i am pretty sure that even if halbs get 4.25 or even 4.5 speed they will not be a unit you want to spam. Their function will be the same as changdaos and rods at best, something you use to scare off cav and other infantry from the main mass.
France Le Hussard sur le toit
Howdah
ESO: LeHussardsurletoit

Post by Le Hussard sur le toit »

Squamiger wrote:Halbs are fine, stop trying to make halbs a thing. You really want civs to be spamming halbs like caroleans? How would that be good for the game? Halbs are supposed to be very situational units with some very specific uses, which they are currently, which is good. You throw 5 of them into your line of muskets if your opponents is going for a hard cav switch, or you make 15 to go siege a TP and break a trade monopoly.

I really think the people who want halbs to be a speedy unit that gets used in every game and spammed like muskets are just bored of this game and want to play a different one. Halbs are an age 3 unit, which is supposed to be an age dominate by lines of musket men and rifles. Halberds were carried by officers into the 19th century but they were never used by an entire unit after the 16th-17 century really, aka age 2

The only thing I think could happen would be to buff the logistician for Dutch so their age 2 halbs could be a little more worth it
I've only ever seen halbs for Dutch and mainly in treaty. But as you said it is just fine this way, and the Dutch logistician should give 2 vet halbs+one military building or 2 vet halbs+arsenal speed upgrade.
ESOC : came for the game, stayed for the drama.
Korea South ssaa22
Musketeer
ESO: Civalian

Post by ssaa22 »

helln00 wrote:i am pretty sure that even if halbs get 4.25 or even 4.5 speed they will not be a unit you want to spam. Their function will be the same as changdaos and rods at best, something you use to scare off cav and other infantry from the main mass.
Personally, I think a better buff solution for Halb is to increase their damage even further.

Of course, my thoughts may be wrong.
The text may be awkward using a translator, But I hope we can talk a lot about good things. GG