The level of play is much higher now than in 2005-2010

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Re: The level of play is much higher now than in 2005-2010

Post by n0el »

Hazza54321 wrote:Well the skill level is better now because theres more content on how to get better and the game has been more figured out. Shit like the pull trick or how to micro has been seen on streams and players try to mimic it
This is a huge factor. When grunt was dominating the ladder, there were 3-4 replays ever of his games. Grunt replays were like gold because it was the only way you could learn from the best player. Nowadays you can turn on twitch and watch Haitch crushing kids out there and hope to be as good as him some day.
mad cuz bad
Germany InfernoXtreme
Crossbow
ESO: InfernoXtreme

Post by InfernoXtreme »

You can't compare it like that. Meta has changed completely as you have already discussed (Age 2 rush in 1v1 and teamgames,....).

The top players from the past usually played the game for a maximum of 2-3 years.
Today the majority of the top players have been with the game for many, many years or have enough experience from other games in advance that affect their skill level.

The comparison of this thread can be compared to competitive sport. A soccer player who played in the top 10 in the 90s would have difficulties against the young players today. His training or his possibilities were completely different in the past than they are today in terms of skill, technical possibilities, understanding of the game and so on.

I played many games in 2008 with flooky, starksy and co. I also thought that I could get back up there faster, but just understanding the game and making decisions in the game makes it difficult for me.

I used to play high elo with a tube monitor and a 256k modem and watched recorded games and wrote down BO´s and trained. I had never played a competitive game before. Nowadays its a bit different :-D

All in all, I think that the top players from the past were really good for the conditions at the time. Just like today's top players have really good talents.
United States of America SoldieR
Pro Player
ESO: SoldieR

Post by SoldieR »

Even if you wanted to learn from recs back then, a lot of people wouldn't allow you to rec in lobby and qs ws 50/50 if it rec if you selected rec.
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

From just those recs it seems that higher level play was artillery focused more than it is now, was this the case in the early days? @n0el @SoldieR

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Germany InfernoXtreme
Crossbow
ESO: InfernoXtreme

Post by InfernoXtreme »

Riotcoke wrote:From just those recs it seems that higher level play was artillery focused more than it is now, was this the case in the early days? @n0el @SoldieR
no, today its more artillery focused
Pro Player

Post by SoldieR »

I think only Dutch would make lots of falcs. Also ger had 2 falc shipment and 20 range ww so you would see more of that and hiding falcs under ww
Sweden Zutazuta
Howdah
zuta

Post by Zutazuta »

Pretty much everyone falc raided back in 2004. I think there was a time when a guy named SouljA would spam as many as 10 falcs at a time and raid.
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Post by chris1089 »

Zutazuta wrote:Pretty much everyone falc raided back in 2004. I think there was a time when a guy named SouljA would spam as many as 10 falcs at a time and raid.
Meta has changed now. Callen raids with horse artillery.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

callen is missing in action tbh
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

is he?
mad cuz bad
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

i'm still looking out of the window every time a truck honks, but the vitamins are nowhere to be seen. he scammed me and he scammed all of us
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Vanuatu DoctorSulla
Musketeer
ESO: DoctorSulla

Post by DoctorSulla »

Soldier wrote:Also ger had 2 falc shipment
Did they? I don't remember that.
Pro Player

Post by SoldieR »

Ya, it was very important in mirrors to win the falc fight to then deal with jaegers and skirm shipments, tho you'd hardly send skirm since they didnt have bonus vs ww
Sweden Suzido
Crossbow
ESO: Suzido

Post by Suzido »

Clearly, everything relating to the optimal way of playing the game, ie (meta-)strategies, timings, tricks, mechanics, general in-depth game knowledge etc etc will have evolved to a vastly greater level by now. I played from 2005 and just got back after many years of hiatus, noticing how the game is played at a much more advanced level.

However - that is not to say that the players back in the day are less ”skilled” than they are today. I would think it is rather the opposite. It is just a numbers game. If there were, say, 100x more people playing the game back in the day, you are just more likely to have a larger number of skilled (or rather talented) players than today. It is like football where you have Messi, vs foosball, where you have (?)

Sam should be a good indicator, even if he got the insane skills he has today a few years after release. This should be a general rule, and there are obvious exceptions, e.g. hazza clearly. And countering my logic is also the fact that the people who stay are those that may be most talented, or at least most engaged.
Finland princeofkabul
Pro Player
NWC LAN Top 8EPL Reigning Champs
ESO: Princeofkabul

Post by princeofkabul »

Yeah you always need to keep in mind todays top/high lvl players have vastly greater experience about the game. Just thinking off Im like +10 years in by now...

Some of my strats are from 2013 to 2015 though.
Chairman of Washed Up clan
Leader of the Shady Swedes
Team Manager of the Blockhouse Boomers
No Flag spadel
Skirmisher

Post by spadel »

Riotcoke wrote:Just watching that PK video you can see how poor the build orders were from that time with the lack of knowledge etc. Grunt going 700c 3 huss as otto for example and the french player aging to age 3 with skirms and shipping a fort first, it's like watching pr20 build orders.
You have to keep in mind, that this was a vanilla game. So the game you see here was actually played about 1 year after aoe3 was released. I mean think about it, even the last WCG was only about 3 years after aoe3 was released. It is incredible how good some people were, considering how few games they have played compared to today's top players.

Ah and another thing I want to point out is, that back then all home cities started with level 0. So it took quite a lot of time to unlock cards and learn about the full potential of civs and build orders.
Australia JKProwler
Dragoon

Post by JKProwler »

In a game where game knowledge is at least 60% required, today's players are better because of how long the game has been around now and how much easier it is to access knowledge
Netherlands MCJim
Retired Contributor
ESO: MCJim

Post by MCJim »

So the average level gets better the longer the game lasts. Makes me wonder if you can ever reach a maximum skill level in this game. After many, many years. A certain player you just can't beat.
:food: My AoE3 YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MCJimAgeofEmpiresIII
:wood: My AoE3 Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/MCJim_

:coin: Age of Streaming YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/AgeOfStreaming
Greece LazarosVas
Dragoon
Clan: GMDS

Post by LazarosVas »

MCJim wrote:So the average level gets better the longer the game lasts. Makes me wonder if you can ever reach a maximum skill level in this game. After many, many years. A certain player you just can't beat.
Basically Haitch 2021, he only had 1 tourney loss and that was on a BO3.

He is basically unbeatable in any BO5+ Matchup.

Ohh and Kaiser with new laptop is up there.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

well tbh 2021 must be the least competitive year ever for aoe3
Image Image Image
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor
ESO: BrookG

Post by BrookG »

Recently there have been 3 main events to affect ESOC and as such its player pool: the LAN, the release of DE and the release of AoE4. I don't know whether the numbers will contrast this claim, after LAN a jump was probably observed, but between DE and AoE4 interest has declined. Also, there have been few players to maintain the level of competitiveness, due to real life catching up, finishing studies and starting jobs, too much drama draining them etc. Something similar happened with the community's staff resources, thus less competitive settings were organised (tournaments, events and so on). As a closing clause I will say the same argument that goes over and over in those discussions, it's hard to compare the players' skills from different eras, due to different balance status or amount of tournaments.
Correlation doesn't mean causation.
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
European Union scarm
Howdah
ESO: Malebranche

Post by scarm »

So what you are saying is we are all getting quite old by now
Great Britain I_HaRRiiSoN_I
Retired Contributor

Post by I_HaRRiiSoN_I »

Is MC Jim just trolling through loads of ancient posts??
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor
ESO: BrookG

Post by BrookG »

scarm wrote:So what you are saying is we are all getting quite old by now
Yes, and the nostalgia factor affects less and less the newer players
Correlation doesn't mean causation.
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
France ǝɯɐuɹǝsn
Dragoon

Post by ǝɯɐuɹǝsn »

just wanna say : aoe 3 legacy forever