Game State

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
Venezuela Rudekaiser2018
Crossbow

Game State

Post by Rudekaiser2018 »

Preface:
The following text will be written from my perspective as someone with a CS background, these are just my conclusions after playing AOE 3 and the DE edition for more than 5 months. Previous RTS games that I've played are: AOE2, AOM, Warcraft 2,3 & FT, Halo Wars, Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak, chess

Game State

As of February 2021, the game state seems to be an upgrade from the start of the year, we have gotten nerfs, new strategies and an overall rise in public in streams and also new players...
Please do examine the consequences of the last patch on the game with the previous stats.

What is going on if it seems to be going in a better direction ?

The Problem

The game forgot the base systems that made it work.

As the great "Axe" puts it in the following scene
spoiler
You break that you break the whole thing
The core rock, papers, scissors system that AOE 3 used in the beginning is currently shaken, if not broken, with the addition of All-Purpose units and buildings many civs are in an unplayable state and have fallen completely out of the meta much to the detriment of the player base. (I will not expand further on civ balance issues as is not the focus of the post)

Basically the game inherited the identity issue it had from the Legacy AOE 3 and it became an even bigger issue with the addition of newer gameplay concepts.

The way to recover the core gameplay of the game is to push the game into a direction that either:

a) Makes it return to a more "robust" rock, paper, scissors system
b) Changes the concept to a more fluid system that isn't as restrictive as the previous one
c) (post your suggestions below).

Conclusions

The current game state will push more players into abandoning if changes aren't made to fix the core issue presented above.
United States of America SoldieR
Pro Player
ESO: SoldieR

Re: Game State

Post by SoldieR »

Please elaborate
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

I predict this will be a good thread
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Argentina Jotunir
Howdah

Post by Jotunir »

DE is just an evil shadow of the game we all love.
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

Jotunir wrote:DE is just an evil shadow of the game we all love.
Didn't expect a post like this from you!

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

Please share whatever it is you are smoking.
[Sith] - Baphomet
France Le Hussard sur le toit
Howdah
ESO: LeHussardsurletoit

Post by Le Hussard sur le toit »

I agree with whatever the op is saying.
ESOC : came for the game, stayed for the drama.
Venezuela Rudekaiser2018
Crossbow

Post by Rudekaiser2018 »

SoldieR wrote:Please elaborate
Which part?
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

The real downturn began when EP team changed. I have no idea why someone thought that a team consisting of purely top players with no experience in game designing or balancing would be a good idea. Don't get me wrong they sire can provide deep and meaningful insight. I consistently warned that if DE developers, made EP 9 or 8.2 w.e even 50% of those changes the game would be a disaster at launch, as it was.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Norway oxaloacetate
Dragoon

Post by oxaloacetate »

princeofcarthage wrote:The real downturn began when EP team changed. I have no idea why someone thought that a team consisting of purely top players with no experience in game designing or balancing would be a good idea. Don't get me wrong they sire can provide deep and meaningful insight. I consistently warned that if DE developers, made EP 9 or 8.2 w.e even 50% of those changes the game would be a disaster at launch, as it was.
Much better with non-top players without experience in game design haha
We watched the tragedy unfold
We did as we were told
We bought and sold
It was the greatest show on earth
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Is this an elaborate Carolean critique? If so, I agree.
Venezuela Rudekaiser2018
Crossbow

Post by Rudekaiser2018 »

princeofcarthage wrote:The real downturn began when EP team changed. I have no idea why someone thought that a team consisting of purely top players with no experience in game designing or balancing would be a good idea. Don't get me wrong they sire can provide deep and meaningful insight. I consistently warned that if DE developers, made EP 9 or 8.2 w.e even 50% of those changes the game would be a disaster at launch, as it was.
What the game needed was a strong lead designer with the ability and experience to use as a compass for the rest of the development team, the game has so many identities.
It is of course hard to say to a developer "yeah bro we are taking out most likely 4-12 months of your work out of the final product" but that type of responsibility was never taken.
And even if it was, it doesn't show on the final product, which in the end is all that matters.

I wholeheartedly agree with what you are saying, can you explained why that change was made ? If you know about it ofc
Mr_Bramboy wrote:Is this an elaborate Carolean critique? If so, I agree.
More than that, it is a critique on game design and why those mistakes will not be fixed with stat tweaking.

The rock, paper, scissors system was already strained with the addition of Asian/ Native civs back in Legacy

Right now the core gameplay mechanics (Rock, Paper, Scissors) get nullified by characteristics OUTSIDE of gameplay, which are not in the control of the player (such as auto generating resources buildings, modular infantry that can be buffed up to the point of countering more than two units, overloaded kits that can be reworked, among others...)

If anyone from the dev team reads this: the game is in a bad state because of CORE GAMEPLAY ISSUES, not because of accessibility and neither because it is difficult to play
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

oxaloacetate wrote:
Much better with non-top players without experience in game design haha
I didn't say that, don't put words into my mouth
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
France flontier
Lancer
Intermediate Division Winner
ESO: Flontier
Clan: PLOP

Post by flontier »

It is definitely not because of his balance that the game has been a disaster at start lol.
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team
ESO: challenger_marco

Post by Challenger_Marco »

flontier wrote:
It is definitely not because of his balance that the game has been a disaster at start lol.
tbh ngl.
:nwc:
Netherlands Vafurx
Crossbow
Donator 02

Post by Vafurx »

I do understand what you mean although I don't think it's the core issue. It's a core hinderacne for newer players tho. Unit tags (and therefor) counters are all over the place, not syncronized and therefor not easy to figure out.

However, what's a 'overloaded kit'?
Australia JKProwler
Dragoon

Post by JKProwler »

As a player that has played from legacy and now DE I disagree somewhat.

I think #1 is all the optimization issues that the game is having is stopping a lot of new players actually to start playing the game or giving them a bad experience

#2 is the bad state of team mode. I agree that aoe3 in particular DE has so many different things that you need game knowledge on with 16 civs, 5 different stages of age ups, card systems, variety of unique units and different revolutions etc..
But this is why team games are so good, because it allows the game to be simplified where u can just be allowed to optimize a build to spam 1 or 2 units and get guidance from your team.

This is why team games were so popular in legacy, but it's juat unplayable in DE
United States of America SoldieR
Pro Player
ESO: SoldieR

Post by SoldieR »

moron
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Rudekaiser2018 wrote:
Are you rly from Venezuela or is this just a meme. Would be pretty hard to play AOE3 from Venezuela right now, right
No Flag helln00
Howdah
ESO: helln00

Post by helln00 »

Tbh like its not like aoe 3 was popular even when it first launched, in that more streamlined mode before the WOL and TAD. The introduction of shock infantry kinda messed things up a bit but compared to the much more arcane and much more hidden bonus system of aoe 2 I think aoe 3 is a much improved version. Counters in aoe 3 are also much harder when compared to aoe 2.

Also with it being a much faster paced games, its harder to get that aoe experience of building up your town nicely, which I have seen argued as one of the reasons that aoe 2 is loved so much.

even AOM with its very streamlined civ system wasnt as popular as aoe 2.
No Flag Cleters
Skirmisher
ESO: Cleters

Post by Cleters »

JKProwler wrote:As a player that has played from legacy and now DE I disagree somewhat.

I think #1 is all the optimization issues that the game is having is stopping a lot of new players actually to start playing the game or giving them a bad experience

#2 is the bad state of team mode. I agree that aoe3 in particular DE has so many different things that you need game knowledge on with 16 civs, 5 different stages of age ups, card systems, variety of unique units and different revolutions etc..
But this is why team games are so good, because it allows the game to be simplified where u can just be allowed to optimize a build to spam 1 or 2 units and get guidance from your team.

This is why team games were so popular in legacy, but it's juat unplayable in DE

Yep. Even if we all agree that 1v1 is the competitiv mode, people tend to forget that the core playerbase was mostly playing teamgames. And it's still the case according to the number of games in spec.

The real problem in DE is that QS don't allow a single player to have a faire game in team, you always need a mate to play. Which is a problem for many players...

Balance is an issue too, on legacy lame civ were sometimes forbidden in lobbies. Now you can just fall vs a Sweden - Inca - Japan premade team. :)
Argentina Jets
Dragoon
ESO: SsJetstream
Clan: FPL

Post by Jets »

Rudekaiser2018 wrote: The core rock, papers, scissors system that AOE 3 used in the beginning is currently shaken, if not broken, with the addition of All-Purpose units and buildings many civs are in an unplayable state and have fallen completely out of the meta much to the detriment of the player base. (I will not expand further on civ balance issues as is not the focus of the post)

Basically the game inherited the identity issue it had from the Legacy AOE 3 and it became an even bigger issue with the addition of newer gameplay concepts.

The way to recover the core gameplay of the game is to push the game into a direction that either:

a) Makes it return to a more "robust" rock, paper, scissors system
b) Changes the concept to a more fluid system that isn't as restrictive as the previous one
c) (post your suggestions below).
This is, if not the biggest problem, with TWC, TAD & DE. Vanilla had a very well established rock / paper / scissors system that we all love, but with each expansion and the addition of new civilizations it brought in unique units that break, twist and separate from the bases.

Yes, the Aztecs were a bit messy with their unit types at first, but nothing crazy with their shock infantry like Cav and ERK like Light Cav. Their roles were quite accurate. The Rifle Riders are a good example of innovation, a unit that excels in its purposes but is weak without other units around.
But everything changed when TAD was released, among most of the issues with DE, there are some old ones that weren't solved in the past. The whole idea that the Asian civs are more complex and hard to master is quite lame, sometimes less is more in terms of mechanics and design.

Examples:
Some mechanics should be revised, design doesn't has to be intrincate and complicated all the time. Unit types should be more resticted to fit into the core system.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Balance isnt the problem, thats something that can be changed easily and 100 percent will get better with time. The problem is the stuff that is much harder to fix, pathing being shit, units no responding to commands, minimap bug, horrible performance etc.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

To be fair, pathing is fine, as fine as on legacy at least. Attack move is somewhat buggy but easy to fix, it was buggy on legacy too. The only mechanical problem I see atm is game not registering input fast enough when selecting buildings. Performance is probably also a bit meh.
Balance is okish and will get better.
Image Image Image
Australia JKProwler
Dragoon

Post by JKProwler »

Cleters wrote:
JKProwler wrote:As a player that has played from legacy and now DE I disagree somewhat.

Yep. Even if we all agree that 1v1 is the competitiv mode, people tend to forget that the core playerbase was mostly playing teamgames. And it's still the case according to the number of games in spec.

The real problem in DE is that QS don't allow a single player to have a faire game in team, you always need a mate to play. Which is a problem for many players...

Balance is an issue too, on legacy lame civ were sometimes forbidden in lobbies. Now you can just fall vs a Sweden - Inca - Japan premade team. :)

And this is why slinging resources is getting out of hand in DE because of pre made teams who are likely communicating over discord.

Slinging is much harder with random teams.

Bring back ranked team lobbies and u will see some of the players who are still on legacy or players that gave up on aoe3 after DE was released (cause if low player count on legacy) give DE another chance.