Are some balance design "strange"?

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

Are some balance design "strange"?

Post by fei123456 »

1. French is the only civ that has a 50 food crate; and vills will idle for a while after they gathered that crate.
2. French has the only unit that costs 1500w 1500g to upgrade, while only gets 40% hp/atk bonus.
3. China has the poorest start crates, but 180w village is insanely cost-effective.

Is it proper to make these odd design, just for balance? Making cuirass upgrade 30%-50% instead of 40%-40%, giving China 3 food and 200w village instead of 2 food and 180w seems legit.
No Flag Astaroth
Howdah

Re: Are some balance design "strange"?

Post by Astaroth »

IMO "ugly" or unusual designs don't really matter, as long as they don't break the immersion completely (e.g. monstertrucks for some civs), balance is much more important.
Brazil Luciofrancosi
Skirmisher
ESO: luciofrancosi

Post by Luciofrancosi »

To be fair these were not bad changes to france and I think soon other civs will have these 50 ressource crate adjustments as well with a lot or people asking for a -50f for japan.
"Supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting"

Sun Tzu - The art of war
No Flag helln00
Howdah
ESO: helln00

Post by helln00 »

there are always some quirks, Indian houses are 70wood for example.
Germany Joe
Dragoon

Post by Joe »

helln00 wrote:there are always some quirks, Indian houses are 70wood for example.
well makes sense cause the vills cost wood
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Good points about game design, but it's not like the alternative you suggest are any better (still talking design-wise).
Image Image Image
Argentina Jets
Dragoon
ESO: SsJetstream
Clan: FPL

Post by Jets »

Kartoffel Joe wrote:
helln00 wrote:there are always some quirks, Indian houses are 70wood for example.
well makes sense cause the vills cost wood
yeah, but that penalty disappears after sending the wood trickle cards, plus you get an incredible amount of wood with the free wood market techs that your villages start with.
Korea South ssaa22
Musketeer
ESO: Civalian

Post by ssaa22 »

The patch for France is very unsatisfactory... it only seems to be a patch to fix the problem right now, not with sufficient understanding.

Probably there was a way to increase the build time of qdb or another way to nerf it. Moreover, the idea of ​​adjusting the starting box by 50 units may soon apply to other civilizations. Because it’s a very convenient way

What is certain is that the person in charge of the balance patch right now does not have a sufficient understanding of the game or beginner who has been in charge of balancing the game for the first time.
The text may be awkward using a translator, But I hope we can talk a lot about good things. GG
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

ssaa22 wrote:The patch for France is very unsatisfactory... it only seems to be a patch to fix the problem right now, not with sufficient understanding.

Probably there was a way to increase the build time of qdb or another way to nerf it. Moreover, the idea of ​​adjusting the starting box by 50 units may soon apply to other civilizations. Because it’s a very convenient way

What is certain is that the person in charge of the balance patch right now does not have a sufficient understanding of the game or beginner who has been in charge of balancing the game for the first time.
Personally I think adding 5f to cdb cost woulda been better design but w/e.
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Korea South ssaa22
Musketeer
ESO: Civalian

Post by ssaa22 »

harcha wrote: Personally I think adding 5f to cdb cost woulda been better design but w/e.
Yes, that's a good idea. Alternatively, they can slow the build time of qdb by 2 seconds.
The text may be awkward using a translator, But I hope we can talk a lot about good things. GG
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

Personally think 50f works perfectly
United States of America theonlybaus
Advanced Player
ESO: theonlybaus

Post by theonlybaus »

Hazza54321 wrote:Personally think 50f works perfectly
Aside from the fact that vills don't auto gather it.
Rainbow Land onfiregun17
Skirmisher
ESO: onfiregun17

Post by onfiregun17 »

The only "strange" thing is the current lack of Sweden nerfs.
Germany Joe
Dragoon

Post by Joe »

onfiregun17 wrote:The only "strange" thing is the current lack of Sweden nerfs.
and dont forget Japan
France Le Hussard sur le toit
Howdah
ESO: LeHussardsurletoit

Post by Le Hussard sur le toit »

theonlybaus wrote:
Hazza54321 wrote:Personally think 50f works perfectly
Aside from the fact that vills don't auto gather it.
Just shift click your vills as you should already.
ESOC : came for the game, stayed for the drama.
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

The changes to cuirs imperial upgrade are bad because they are inconsistent. Giving cuirs age II stats to upgrade on (say 420hp/25dmg) would have been better without adding unncessary inconsistencies.
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
No Flag helln00
Howdah

Post by helln00 »

duckzilla wrote:The changes to cuirs imperial upgrade are bad because they are inconsistent. Giving cuirs age II stats to upgrade on (say 420hp/25dmg) would have been better without adding unncessary inconsistencies.
I agree that would be better, we should standardise all units that way
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

duckzilla wrote:The changes to cuirs imperial upgrade are bad because they are inconsistent. Giving cuirs age II stats to upgrade on (say 420hp/25dmg) would have been better without adding unncessary inconsistencies.
The fact that cuirs dont upgrade from age 2 stats is arguably an inconsistency in itself.

So itd be a case of two birds with one stone.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

@duckzilla
If you could make a detailed thread about this on the official forum and link it here, surely we could get a bunch of upvotes and comments going, and this will ensure that they notice the issue. I'm certain that most people will agree with nerfing lategame cuirs.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
No Flag helln00
Howdah

Post by helln00 »

RefluxSemantic wrote:
The fact that cuirs dont upgrade from age 2 stats is arguably an inconsistency in itself.

I think some other units have the same characteristic, though the only other one I can think of is Cassadors
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

helln00 wrote:
RefluxSemantic wrote:

I think some other units have the same characteristic, though the only other one I can think of is Cassadors
I dont think cassadors do. Halbs and WW do share this property. But the inconsistency is that these are also called veteran halbs/WW, implying that a veteran upgrade was applied to them
No Flag helln00
Howdah

Post by helln00 »

RefluxSemantic wrote:
helln00 wrote:
Show hidden quotes
I dont think cassadors do. Halbs and WW do share this property. But the inconsistency is that these are also called veteran halbs/WW, implying that a veteran upgrade was applied to them
I just double checked and they do seem to have that property. One of the nice things about DE is that they do show the HP as a base and the addition so its much easier to spot these.

Edit: so I checked the other Euro civs, Opri, Lancers, Spahi also share the same property
Attachments
20210309203624_1.jpg
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

So if you sling otto in a 3v3 he has 2 options in regards to the spahi shipment - ship 6 guard spahi, or ship 4 team spahi resulting in 4 guard spahi and 8 veteran spahi for teammates (who might even be in discovery age).
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

Honestly, there is nothing wrong with slinging. Change my mind.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Argentina Jets
Dragoon
ESO: SsJetstream
Clan: FPL

Post by Jets »

Caroleans have 4.25 speed and 2.5 ROF. Would be neat if they round down those numbers. And looking at their cost, they should probably have a slight +5 hp.