Unpopular opinion, should the Ottomans be a European or Asian civilization?

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.

Should the Ottomans be a European or Asian civilization?

European
35%
Asian
29%
I will wait for Garja to post before forming my opinion
35%

Total votes: 51

No Flag helln00
Howdah
ESO: helln00

Re: Unpopular opinion, should the Ottomans be a European or Asian civilization?

Post by helln00 »

Dolan wrote:That's not weird, lots of peoples have created imaginary ethnic identities, based on events that may or may not have happened. Like Romanians like to imagine they're descendants of Romans, but genetics say "nah".
Thats not the where it breaks down, it breaks down especially with groups like the Austronesians, with their genetic and linguistic trace all over from Madagascar to Hawaii and covers everyone from Taiwanese to Indonesians and even Papuans. The amount of diversity, both culturally and linguistically, they have though is also vast. (Also have traces in Ancient mainland china but historically they were assimilated).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austronesian_peoples
India pasha
Crossbow

Post by pasha »

Why there is no 3rd option as dont care in this poll

Or the third option could be "whatever Erdo's gand says"
Argentina EliteRifleman
Dragoon
ESO: EliteRifleman
Clan: SpNz

Post by EliteRifleman »

pasha wrote:Why there is no 3rd option as dont care in this poll

Or the third option could be "whatever Erdo's gand says"

PD: At this point, I try to take it with grace.
India pasha
Crossbow

Post by pasha »

Well done Eliterifleman . You have created a testimony.
I mean if there are no humans on this planet in future , this thread will throw some light on the question why?
France ǝɯɐuɹǝsn
Dragoon

Post by ǝɯɐuɹǝsn »

I'm sure that's the kind of useless questions that the developper ask themself during the development of the DE, and it's why they changed so many useless and ridiculous things
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

helln00 wrote:Thanks for the sauce
Dolan wrote:The scientific one.
No No, give an actual answer here, what science and academic fields are you are you actually basing your models and definitions on. Biology, sociology, genetics, historiography, ethnography, linguistics, economics....etc. Like what is your definition you are using for and ethnic group and how they form
Two elements would need to be present for a population to become an ethnic group:
- sharing a common language (doesn't have to be standardised across all regions, it could feature some local dialects, regionalisms, etc)
- referring to themselves using a demonym (could be either how they call themselves - endonym, or how they're called by others - exonym)

However, just like every natural process, ethnogeneses don't all happen following rigid patterns, lots of variations exist. The formation of the Jewish ethnic group is very peculiar, since they aggregated around a religion. They even linked ethnic identity either with being born from Jews or with adopting the religion, becoming a convert. This pathway to becoming Jewish through conversion has existed for probably more than two thousand years. To someone modern, it seems very unusual that adopting a certain religious belief could qualify you as Jewish. I can't think of another ethnogenesis in which religion played such a core role. This might explain why they were able to survive living in diasporas for almost two thousand years, after their ethnogenesis took place and were forced to leave the land where their people formed. It's interesting that one branch of Judaism that adopted Greek around the time when Jews were driven to exile eventually disappeared and became assimilated in the Greco-Roman world. It's as if what made Jewish identity survive was keeping the core around which the people was formed: the religion and the language.

Anyway, I don't have time to look into other cases to see how my definition holds, but it'd be interesting to check with cases of people who have a common identity, but never got their own country, like the Kurds. Does it make much of a difference if a people never get their own country, do they have to develop special survival tactics to avoid assimilation, etc. I know that some types of Balkan Romance speakers, like Aromanians, are on a trend toward seeing their language going extinct, probably because there's not much investment in an education system that uses their own language.
United States of America GiBthedurrty
Lancer
Donator 01
Clan: YumiW

Post by GiBthedurrty »

Dolan wrote:I'm a beast, I confirm
you're not even in game you're nothing kekw
if you wanna be in the game turn gay or color yourself black and let the developers know you want a representation in the game or they are racist
No Flag helln00
Howdah
ESO: helln00

Post by helln00 »

Dolan wrote:
helln00 wrote:....
Eh calling it a natural process is a bit of a stretch, thats like calling nation states and governments natural.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

GiBthedurrty wrote:
Dolan wrote:I'm a beast, I confirm
you're not even in game you're nothing kekw
if you wanna be in the game turn gay or color yourself black and let the developers know you want a representation in the game or they are racist
Idk I was thinking of going for the gypsy angle and demand my diversity quota tendies from some Silicon Valley megacorp.
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

i want to take a flamethrower to this entire thread
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

Squamiger wrote:i want to take a flamethrower to this entire thread
You could also tuck tuck tuck until its gets patched, and its lot more fun. :lol:
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
United States of America Durokan
Retired Contributor
ESO: Durokan

Post by Durokan »

in history class one time i heard that they were called the sick man of asia so they're probably an asian civ
Check out my Custom Map Workshop here!
http://eso-community.net/viewtopic.php?p=98718#top
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

British statesman John Russell in 1853, in the run up to the Crimean War, claimed Nicholas I of Russia described the Ottoman Empire as "a sick man—a very sick man", a "man who has fallen into a state of decrepitude", and a "sick man ... gravely ill".

Neither Nicholas nor Seymour completed the locution with the prepositional phrase "of Europe", which appears to have been added later and may very well have been journalistic misquotation. The first appearance of the phrase "sick man of Europe" appears in The New York Times (12 May 1860)
Mfw this expression was invented by an American journal, based on a misquotation of discussions between some kings from Europe.

US media...
Turkey Cx_Janissary_Cx
Crossbow
ESO: ☾✩_Janissary_☾✩

Post by Cx_Janissary_Cx »

Turks originally come from Central Asia. They had many peoples/tribes under them such as Great Seljuk Empire, Khwarazmids, Ottomans, even Attila the Hun was from the Turkic peoples etc...

wikipedia 16 Turkic Empires. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/16_Great_Turkic_Empires

the turks who settled in anatolia converted from tengrism to islam, and thanks to the advantageous situation, the ottomans were able to assert themselves and expand.
the ottomans speak turkish and wrote arabic, (because islam) even if the ottomans had a great influence on europe, they are nonetheless an asian civilization.

but Age of Empires 3 is not an EUIV or historically correct game :D
Düşmanın karınca gibi ise sen onu fil gibi san.
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

I mean... Your article on the 16 great turkic empires already says that it "is a concept in Turkish ethnic nationalism". It is just propaganda without proper archaeological foundation, maybe with the intent to give the relatively young republic of Turkey and its inhabitants a long history of great traditions. That's similar to the Nazis trying to utilize the Barbarian Invasion, surrounding the Goths, Vandals, and others fighting the Romans, to forge a mythology of aryan supremacy.

Of course, I can understand that Turks try to find alternatives to the only real fact they cannot run away from: they are Greeks, conquered by small bands of central asian warriors who entirely crushed their identity, forcing them to convert to Islam and speaking the language of their oppressors.
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Turkey Cx_Janissary_Cx
Crossbow
ESO: ☾✩_Janissary_☾✩

Post by Cx_Janissary_Cx »

A comparison with the Nazis is bullshit and is not discussed here ...

i have included the link with the 16 turkic empires so that you can see that the countries originally come from central asia
Of course there are foundations and evidence that the peoples are Turkish people, I have a lot to do with history and I can prove that to you if you want duckzilla :) that doesn't count for all peoples, with the Timurids and the Golden Horde that we still don't know if they are Turks or Mongols. (most) historians say it was Mongols who mixed up with Turks, but that doesn't matter now either

turkey is a young republic founded by the liberator Mustafa Kemal Paşa (Atatürk). Turkey does not have a long tradition is nonsense because the ancestors of the republic of Turkey were the Ottomans just like the Seljuks. (Turkish princely dynasty) and that is a fact.

the ottomans and today's turkey are multiethnic states there lived many turks, greeks, armenians, kurds, Circassians, Tatars, jews etc...

everyone who lives in turkey and feels like a turk is turkish, no matter if kurdish or armenian etc...
it was exactly the same in the ottoman empire, only that they called themselves ottomans there...
however, the official language was always Turkish.

we are all mixed in this world (globalization) and that is a good thing because we are all the same.

It's simply about the Ottomans / Turks originally being an Asian civilization and yes they are Asian and also European.
therefore it would be best if you had properties of both in AOEIII ..
Düşmanın karınca gibi ise sen onu fil gibi san.
Argentina EliteRifleman
Dragoon
ESO: EliteRifleman
Clan: SpNz

Post by EliteRifleman »

I have no idea how to delete the whole thread, but I would do it with pleasure, I did not expect this kind of response.
Retired Contributor

EliteRifleman wrote:
I have no idea how to delete the whole thread, but I would do it with pleasure, I did not expect this kind of response.
The main takeaway from ur post is that if you were to make a dating profile and instead of 1-2 over 60 likely options if you get 25-30 unlikely 40-50, you would just delete your profile and burn it?
Argentina Jotunir
Howdah

Post by Jotunir »

I just want to add one thing to this thread. Thank god for the winged hussars, they arrived just in time (They are a great shipment for germany by the way).
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

Jotunir wrote:I just want to add one thing to this thread. Thank god for the winged hussars, they arrived just in time (They are a great shipment for germany by the way).
You'll like this song then
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

How has no one pointed out that the thread title is not an opinion but a question?
Denmark voigt1240
Lancer
ESO: voigt

Post by voigt1240 »

1453 never forget
Retired Contributor

So, is someone going to explain to bram or should I?
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team
ESO: challenger_marco

Post by Challenger_Marco »

Why is there 2 threads for this?
:nwc:
European Union PancakePrincess
Skirmisher
ESO: PancakePrincess

Post by PancakePrincess »

Wow! The poll is in a perfect equilibrium! That's pretty cool!