Map pool?

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Re: Map pool?

Post by Mitoe »

I didn't read the rest of the thread, so I guess if there was conversation about it already I didn't see it (oops).

Ottomans typically have little reason to train a spy though, as their opponents normally don't try to stagecoach boom against them, and their economy is somewhat worse in early Commerce Age.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

I dunno in which MU this could really be a problem tbh. I feel like if they can afford a church and a spy and be quick enough to snipe your explo before you build your TPs, they could also just train units instead and prevent you from getting stagecoach anyway. Like brits aging a vil early could do it, but they could also just train musks or pikes and pressure a TP anyway?

Iro would be the best target for a spy rush I guess. But they're also able to get units out really early so they could just defend their WC I think. Generally speaking, most civs don't go stageoach boom without any unit out, or if they do it's because they're faster than you anyway, so your spy comes too late.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
United States of America dutchdude117
ESOC Community Team
ESO: Dutchdude117

Post by dutchdude117 »

I'd be surprised if spy rush became meta. If it became a problem you could disable spy training add a tech at church that cost like 5 coin and takes 30 seconds to research that unlocks spies.
France chronique
Advanced Player
ESO: poissondu44

Post by chronique »

Mitoe wrote:I didn't read the rest of the thread, so I guess if there was conversation about it already I didn't see it (oops).

Ottomans typically have little reason to train a spy though, as their opponents normally don't try to stagecoach boom against them, and their economy is somewhat worse in early Commerce Age.
Not agree with that, one spy is a very good move with otto as it denie your opponenet scout, which is super important vs otto.
Switzerland sebnan12
Jaeger
ESO: Mongobillione

Post by sebnan12 »

vividlyplain wrote:
lemmings121 wrote:
Le Hussard sur le toit wrote:Just allow to chose your civ after seeing the map.
That would just make everyone play india and russia on notp maps, port mirror on water, etc, killing variety.

We already know that balance is and will always be kinda bad in this game, so its better to have some variery in qs, and having few nontp maps there is fine. Ideally every civ is playable in qs, but their strength is a bit random with the map.
I don’t think it would kill variety. You may be right that those could be the most played no tp map civs, but the maps are still going to be selected randomly so tp and no tp maps should both be played on with players being given the voice of changing their civ that they feel is better suited to a certain map.
Thats one of the biggest reasons as of why i love tourneys though. Set map set civs. I enjoy that way more than an otto mirror on pampas
"Why are you trying to lecture me on my own language, no wonder you people shit in the open street."- Riotcoke

''man he's slow rolling him more than a fish on a royal flush'' - Garja

NEED MORE XP
Canada vividlyplain
Lancer
ESO: vividlyplain

Post by vividlyplain »

sebnan12 wrote:otto mirror on pampas
Good idea for a weekend tour tbh.
France Le Hussard sur le toit
Howdah
ESO: LeHussardsurletoit

Post by Le Hussard sur le toit »

vividlyplain wrote:
sebnan12 wrote:otto mirror on pampas
Good idea for a weekend tour tbh.
Random mirror on a random map.
ESOC : came for the game, stayed for the drama.
Rainbow Land onfiregun17
Skirmisher
ESO: onfiregun17

Post by onfiregun17 »

dutchdude117 wrote:I'd be surprised if spy rush became meta. If it became a problem you could disable spy training add a tech at church that cost like 5 coin and takes 30 seconds to research that unlocks spies.
Fun fact, it used to be back in the day! Otto could train them in age1 (because they had the mosque) so they could spy rush people before they even clicked up. So that's why spies are available in age2 now :lol:
Canada Mitoe

Post by Mitoe »

Kaiserklein wrote:I dunno in which MU this could really be a problem tbh. I feel like if they can afford a church and a spy and be quick enough to snipe your explo before you build your TPs, they could also just train units instead and prevent you from getting stagecoach anyway. Like brits aging a vil early could do it, but they could also just train musks or pikes and pressure a TP anyway?

Iro would be the best target for a spy rush I guess. But they're also able to get units out really early so they could just defend their WC I think. Generally speaking, most civs don't go stageoach boom without any unit out, or if they do it's because they're faster than you anyway, so your spy comes too late.
It would be good vs Japan
France Le Hussard sur le toit
Howdah
ESO: LeHussardsurletoit

Post by Le Hussard sur le toit »

Mitoe wrote:
Kaiserklein wrote:I dunno in which MU this could really be a problem tbh. I feel like if they can afford a church and a spy and be quick enough to snipe your explo before you build your TPs, they could also just train units instead and prevent you from getting stagecoach anyway. Like brits aging a vil early could do it, but they could also just train musks or pikes and pressure a TP anyway?

Everything that target Japan is a win imo tbh ngl.
ESOC : came for the game, stayed for the drama.
Canada Mitoe

Post by Mitoe »

Le Hussard sur le toit wrote:
Mitoe wrote:

Playing against spies as Japan is actually quite unfun :P
No Flag helln00
Howdah
ESO: helln00

Post by helln00 »

Mitoe wrote:
Show hidden quotes
I still want to experiment whether 300export into 4 spies is viable as china to counter japan
Germany Lukas_L99
Pro Player
Donator 01
ESO: Lukas_L99

Post by Lukas_L99 »

Mitoe wrote:

Yeah the toxic 100% Otto guy formerly known as Sarcoidose/osteoblaste/Myrmidons did that a few times vs my Japs.
France Guigs
Tournament Admin
ESO: Guigs

Post by Guigs »

Lukas_L99 wrote:
Mitoe wrote:

Yeah the toxic 100% Otto guy formerly known as Sarcoidose/osteoblaste/Myrmidons did that a few times vs my Japs.
Not sure if it's to kill your hero or just to hide the spy tho
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Mitoe wrote:

Assuming they even really try to shrine out on the map, which they kinda don't atm (at least not in early game). I could see this be a thing as brits vs japs probably.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Germany Joe
Dragoon

Post by Joe »

Mitoe wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Playing against Japan is actually quite unfun
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Playing as Japan is fun
Image Image Image
Germany Joe
Dragoon

Post by Joe »

Garja wrote:Playing as Japan is fun
Playing as Schweden last Patch was fun too ;)
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

It was indeed
Image Image Image