Balance discussion

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Re: Balance discussion

Post by Kaiserklein »

Another connection would be the IQ
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Great Britain TheNameDaniel
Advanced Player
Donator 01
ESO: danielek

Post by TheNameDaniel »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:Anyone outside of the top 0.1% of the player base is not qualified to participate in balance discussions. I hope the developers realize this too.
The peak for the last 24hrs was 2.8k so you're saying only the top 3 players?
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

miggo1999_ wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:
Show hidden quotes
How is there even a connection between me and dontay lol. It's like comparing sky to sea.
you pick fights in every thread on esoc yet see yourself as the victim (and think people are against you for no reason)...
FYI, Bram first started trolling and posting negative posts against me for weeks, probs months now. This is like my first post where I am directly saying anything against Bram, that too legitimately when he is being a jerk. But of course you don't see that, just like you won't see the passive aggressive post of kaiser above and when I say something to him you will act as if I am the bad guy. Such hypocrisy.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Germany miggo1999_
Skirmisher
ESO: india_bot1999

Post by miggo1999_ »

princeofcarthage wrote:
miggo1999_ wrote:
Show hidden quotes
you pick fights in every thread on esoc yet see yourself as the victim (and think people are against you for no reason)...
FYI, Bram first started trolling and posting negative posts against me for weeks, probs months now. This is like my first post where I am directly saying anything against Bram, that too legitimately when he is being a jerk. But of course you don't see that, just like you won't see the passive aggressive post of kaiser above and when I say something to him you will act as if I am the bad guy. Such hypocrisy.
There is no hipocrisy. I'm not saying bram wasn't a jerk, nor that everybody is treating you in a respectful manner. But again that (largely) is not due to some random hate toward you that came to be out of thin air. In a ton of threads you are saying stuff either directly making enemies, or trying to be funny and then triggering a discussion where you make enemies. Afterward saying something along the lines of 'if hazza said it, you guys would all laugh' reinforcing your sentiment in that everybody else is incorrect. This exact behavior is why your popularity is going down the drain currently. That is all I will say about this, you can either try to see the truth in this and change your behavior, or keep getting disappointed by your own actions.
Germany miggo1999_
Skirmisher
ESO: india_bot1999

Post by miggo1999_ »

also bram wasn't even a jerk in his comment lol
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

princeofcarthage wrote:just like you won't see the passive aggressive post of kaiser above and when I say something to him you will act as if I am the bad guy
In my post I was clearly calling you an idiot, how is that passive aggressive
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

There's not that many passive aggressive people on the forum Tbh, most people here if they think you're a moron will just call you a moron.
Zimbabwe 88_Baron_Rojo_88
Skirmisher

Post by 88_Baron_Rojo_88 »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:Anyone outside of the top 0.1% of the player base is not qualified to participate in balance discussions. I hope the developers realize this too.
ok this 0.1% of top players could contact the game developers somehow? For the rescue of this game they should hire these players for the balance of the civs. What they are doing is just ridiculous ... we need EP in DE? wtf
Retired Contributor

Kaiserklein wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:just like you won't see the passive aggressive post of kaiser above and when I say something to him you will act as if I am the bad guy
In my post I was clearly calling you an idiot, how is that passive aggressive
But you weren't directly which is why its passive aggressive based on your assumption that dontay is an idiot and by extension me. For all you know dontay could have genius level IQ who is just shitposting for the sake of it.
United States of America Kyo_
Crossbow
ESO: KyoKusanagi

Post by Kyo_ »

i think germany needs to be buffed. free settler wagon in addition to the free uhlans every shipment, dopps base speed increased to 6, uhlans base hp increased to 200 and attack to 45, and probably a factory in age 3 will make them more viable imo.

should also get an age 4 shipment that resigns the enemy for you for a fair and BALANCED win
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

And for all I know you could be a genius who pretends to be a complete moron for the sake of it. Sounds highly unlikely though
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

TheNameDaniel wrote:
I didn’t actually run the numbers, I just pulled one out of my ass. You’re right, let’s go with 0.2% instead.
France Le Hussard sur le toit
Howdah
ESO: LeHussardsurletoit

Post by Le Hussard sur le toit »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:
TheNameDaniel wrote:
I didn’t actually run the numbers, I just pulled one out of my ass. You’re right, let’s go with 0.2% instead.
So Kaiser, Knusch, Hazza, Sam, Mitoe and Kynesie ?

I'm fine with that.
ESOC : came for the game, stayed for the drama.
Argentina Jets
Dragoon
ESO: SsJetstream
Clan: FPL

Post by Jets »

ssaa22 wrote:It's a personal idea, but most of the balance controversy seems like a value controversy. Some buildings or units have too many features or lack of features for their price. Perhaps the most controversial in that area is the auto-generated building.

I would like to hear from you another opinion on my thoughts.
Sometimes a mechanic is too strong that the only way to balance it, it's just delaying it by increasing the costs, or reducing the impact, maybe both at the same time.

Is either that or remove/rework it completely.

Still, I think there should be a different patch for treaty games, since some mechanics are very useful and others are just irrelevant. And balancing them always has an impact on 1v1s.
Spain Efraín
Skirmisher
ESO: Efraín

Post by Efraín »

A good player does not necessarily have to know more about balance than a lower level player as long as the latter has great knowledge of the metagame (although he does not have great skills when applying them) and of the numbers with respect to the resources that the units cost.

And my experience in RTS games tells me that many high level players also look more for their interests so that they do not touch X civilization that they use than for a real balance.
Retired Contributor

Efraín wrote:
A good player does not necessarily have to know more about balance than a lower level player as long as the latter has great knowledge of the metagame (although he does not have great skills when applying them) and of the numbers with respect to the resources that the units cost.

And my experience in RTS games tells me that many high level players also look more for their interests so that they do not touch X civilization that they use than for a real balance.
Considering that this has been explained by myself and many other earlier on, I don't think anyone is willing to listen this. Besides from many EP changes the balance bias is pretty clear which gets easily ignored.
Croatia toriancarconn
Skirmisher
Donator 03
ESO: toriancarconn

Post by toriancarconn »

princeofcarthage wrote:
miggo1999_ wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Bram is not a jerk to everyone. Seen it with my own eyes.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

Efraín wrote:A good player does not necessarily have to know more about balance than a lower level player as long as the latter has great knowledge of the metagame (although he does not have great skills when applying them) and of the numbers with respect to the resources that the units cost.

Well, biased high level players who are just trying to get their civs buffed shouldn't be listened to. But realistically in this community most top players aren't trying to do that, but rather to genuinely balance the game.

Anyway, how could low level players, even with great knowledge, know the state of the balance? If you don't have great mechanics to hit and run, skirms and goons become worse compared to musks and huss. If you don't have the mechanics to multitask, raids become stronger. If you don't have the mechanics to defend, rushes become stronger. And so on. That just totally changes the perception of balance. See how aztec apparently has the best winrate in (lower level) ranked games overall, while being considered one of the weaker civs at high level...
So unless that lower level player would constantly watch high level games and be able to draw accurate conclusions out of them, I don't see how that's possible. And even then, watching games is absolutely not the same thing as playing them yourself. And naturally you gain more experience by playing against better players than vs worse players.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Higher level players also have inherent bias that they don’t realize. There’s a reason why in most games pro players aren’t consulted, or necessary, for balance.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

gibson wrote:Higher level players also have inherent bias that they don’t realize. There’s a reason why in most games pro players aren’t consulted, or necessary, for balance.
Please elaborate
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
France chronique
Advanced Player
ESO: poissondu44

Post by chronique »

gibson wrote:Higher level players also have inherent bias that they don’t realize. There’s a reason why in most games pro players aren’t consulted, or necessary, for balance.
What kind of prejudices are inherent in high-level players?
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Balancing for their fav civ
Image Image Image
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

In "most games" you probably have a large enough player base to have relevant stats + a balance team that really understands the game. That's not how it works in aoe 3.
Anyway, no one is completely unbiased, but I don't think there are people in this community more qualified than top players, when it comes to balancing the game.
France chronique
Advanced Player
ESO: poissondu44

Post by chronique »

Garja wrote:Balancing for their fav civ
Which is not inerent to hight players
Spain Efraín
Skirmisher
ESO: Efraín

Post by Efraín »

Kaiserklein wrote:
Efraín wrote:A good player does not necessarily have to know more about balance than a lower level player as long as the latter has great knowledge of the metagame (although he does not have great skills when applying them) and of the numbers with respect to the resources that the units cost.

Well, biased high level players who are just trying to get their civs buffed shouldn't be listened to. But realistically in this community most top players aren't trying to do that, but rather to genuinely balance the game.

Anyway, how could low level players, even with great knowledge, know the state of the balance? If you don't have great mechanics to hit and run, skirms and goons become worse compared to musks and huss. If you don't have the mechanics to multitask, raids become stronger. If you don't have the mechanics to defend, rushes become stronger. And so on. That just totally changes the perception of balance. See how aztec apparently has the best winrate in (lower level) ranked games overall, while being considered one of the weaker civs at high level...
So unless that lower level player would constantly watch high level games and be able to draw accurate conclusions out of them, I don't see how that's possible. And even then, watching games is absolutely not the same thing as playing them yourself. And naturally you gain more experience by playing against better players than vs worse players.
I do not doubt that there are good intentions of many less biased professionals who really want to balance the game, the problem is when the following example occurs (as others may be):

I think I remember (and I don't think it's an invention) that the Uhlans, in an ESOC patch, had 180 hp, a correct nerf, taking into account the seconds it takes a villager to make one and then the seconds it takes a villager to make a hussar (balanced). If we add the extra attack that the uhlan has compared to the hussar, it must be compensated with a nerf a little higher than the HP and 180 was the correct number.

What was the problem with this? A huge river of crying / complaints from several high-level players who had Germany as their main civ. Trying to justify that the nerf was wrong knowing that civilization was Top Tier for the vast majority of professionals, as it is now.

What I mean by this? While a player may be bad at micromanaging, it doesn't mean they don't know the numbers, the cost, how to attack, and the meta.

There are players who are very intelligent in their heads but very clumsy in their hands.

I am not saying that the professionals are not taken into account, they are an important part, but so are those people who really know the high-level game and the numbers and give good ideas even if they are not good players.

I think it is not difficult to understand, there each one.