Map Repository

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
Vanuatu DoctorSulla
Musketeer
ESO: DoctorSulla

Map Repository

Post by DoctorSulla »

I created a tool which parses some of the game files and gives the list of maps in each set as well as some information on the treasures available. Some of the maps the treasure information is missing which I think is because they have a set number of treasures of each difficulty rather than specific treasures.

It's pretty basic at the moment but if people find it useful I could potentially do some more work on it.

Hosted at http://aoetools.space.

Edit: Updated hosting location.
United States of America dutchdude117
ESOC Community Team
ESO: Dutchdude117

Re: Map Repository

Post by dutchdude117 »

Hey this is pretty cool. I'd love it if we could see natives available and outlaws available. I'll try using it when I play and see if I can give more feedback.
No Flag iamgaming
Musketeer

Post by iamgaming »

Goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood
No Flag Kanoo
Skirmisher

Post by Kanoo »

This is really good! Thanks.
thebritish wrote:
19 Jan 2016, 09:58
So, you are saying that if i watch H20's rec, i can beat anyone below H20's level because i know his BO?
European Union aaryngend
Howdah
Clan: N3O

Post by aaryngend »

dutchdude117 wrote:Hey this is pretty cool. I'd love it if we could see natives available and outlaws available. I'll try using it when I play and see if I can give more feedback.
This. Plus, can we get a list which tells us which maps are used for quicksearch? Sup 1v1, 2v2, etc., DM 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, etc.
Vanuatu DoctorSulla
Musketeer

Post by DoctorSulla »

I've updated it so it pulls in a description, the outlaws and the natives for most of the maps now. There's a couple that are missing because the naming conventions they've used in different files are wildly inconsistent and I can't be bothered to go and match them map up manually.
Great Britain andrewgs
Musketeer

Post by andrewgs »

This is very nice.

I wouldn't worry too much about treasures.

I'd rename standard maps -> standard maps (1v1 ranked pool) because I clicked a few before realising that's it.

The ESOC map page maps.php is nice page that'd be cool to replicate.
Canada vividlyplain
Lancer
ESO: vividlyplain

Post by vividlyplain »

Xakops made an app or something that analyzed each map file for the info on the maps page. Maybe @EAGLEMUT knows if and where this tool is available?
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Post by musketeer925 »

DoctorSulla wrote:I've updated it so it pulls in a description, the outlaws and the natives for most of the maps now. There's a couple that are missing because the naming conventions they've used in different files are wildly inconsistent and I can't be bothered to go and match them map up manually.
You're parsing maps->outlaws from mapspecifictechs.xml, right?

You should be able to match the tech name from there to techs in techtreey.xml, look up the unit definition in protoy.xml, and from there the strings in stabetabley.xml to get the proper unit name.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

vividlyplain wrote:Xakops made an app or something that analyzed each map file for the info on the maps page. Maybe @EAGLEMUT knows if and where this tool is available?
To my understanding, he was looking into it but never actually made an app. Last time he told me that he counted the resources manually.
momuuu wrote: theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
Canada vividlyplain
Lancer

Post by vividlyplain »

EAGLEMUT wrote:
vividlyplain wrote:Xakops made an app or something that analyzed each map file for the info on the maps page. Maybe @EAGLEMUT knows if and where this tool is available?
To my understanding, he was looking into it but never actually made an app. Last time he told me that he counted the resources manually.
Hm ok. I know he had trouble with Tuparro because of all the extra hunts in the script that don't actually spawn. Maybe that caused him to give up on it.
Vanuatu DoctorSulla
Musketeer

Post by DoctorSulla »

musketeer925 wrote:You're parsing maps->outlaws from mapspecifictechs.xml, right?

You should be able to match the tech name from there to techs in techtreey.xml, look up the unit definition in protoy.xml, and from there the strings in stabetabley.xml to get the proper unit name.
I'm currently just matching the map name as specified in the map sets against the map descriptions in stringtabley.xml but there's a few weird ones such as Himalayas Upper and Yellow River Dry where there's not an obvious way to automatically match it up. I'm not that familiar with the game's file structure so there's probably more efficient ways I could do some of it.
Canada vividlyplain
Lancer

Post by vividlyplain »

DoctorSulla wrote:
musketeer925 wrote:You're parsing maps->outlaws from mapspecifictechs.xml, right?

I'm currently just matching the map name as specified in the map sets against the map descriptions in stringtabley.xml but there's a few weird ones such as Himalayas Upper and Yellow River Dry where there's not an obvious way to automatically match it up. I'm not that familiar with the game's file structure so there's probably more efficient ways I could do some of it.
Yellow River wet and dry are 2 spawns on the same map. They aren’t different files.
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Post by musketeer925 »

DoctorSulla wrote: I'm currently just matching the map name as specified in the map sets against the map descriptions in stringtabley.xml but there's a few weird ones such as Himalayas Upper and Yellow River Dry where there's not an obvious way to automatically match it up. I'm not that familiar with the game's file structure so there's probably more efficient ways I could do some of it.
Ah, okay. Yeah the stringtable descriptions are probably pretty inconsistent.

Maps, techs, units, etc. should all be possible to map directly by parsing various XMLs. Happy to answer questions if you want to dig into that further.
Vanuatu DoctorSulla
Musketeer

Post by DoctorSulla »

vividlyplain wrote:Yellow River wet and dry are 2 spawns on the same map. They aren’t different files.
Yeah but the way I'm doing the matching at the moment based directly on the map string from the .set file which is causing issues. Looking a little closer what I need to do is go into each map.xml file which then link directly to the entries in the stringtable file.

Thanks for the feedback all, given there seems to be some interest I'll take some time to fix the issues and make it look a little nicer.
Vanuatu DoctorSulla
Musketeer

Post by DoctorSulla »

Made some changes to the matching and formatting and shamelessly stole the flip card format idea from ESOC. Treasure information is not included now unless I find the time to present it a bit more consistently.

No Flag iamgaming
Musketeer

Post by iamgaming »

Can you sort maps by alphabet and make multiple maps in a row at phone? Currently only one column is shown at phone and mpas are too big, so that I should scroll some to find a map I want to see.
France Rikikipu
Retired Contributor
ESO: p-of

Post by Rikikipu »

Really nice !

That’s super funny, because I had an idea of doing something similar. At some point we could define something in the maps code which allows to really parse easily information by a tiers program.
Vanuatu DoctorSulla
Musketeer

Post by DoctorSulla »

iamgaming wrote:Can you sort maps by alphabet and make multiple maps in a row at phone? Currently only one column is shown at phone and mpas are too big, so that I should scroll some to find a map I want to see.
Done and done, let me know of any issues. Also when I sorted alphabetically I noticed a lot of the sets have duplicates to make them appear more often so I've removed those too.
Rikikipu wrote:That’s super funny, because I had an idea of doing something similar. At some point we could define something in the maps code which allows to really parse easily information by a tiers program.
Yeah that's a good idea. I'll throw what I've done on GitHub as well.
No Flag iamgaming
Musketeer

Post by iamgaming »

Thank you! It helps a lot!
Vanuatu DoctorSulla
Musketeer

Post by DoctorSulla »

Git repository for anyone interested:

https://github.com/DoctorSulla/maps/
No Flag Kanoo
Skirmisher

Post by Kanoo »

Hey, could you please update this?
thebritish wrote:
So, you are saying that if i watch H20's rec, i can beat anyone below H20's level because i know his BO?
Vanuatu DoctorSulla
Musketeer

Post by DoctorSulla »

I've uploaded the latest XML and set files now which it should hopefully pull in automatically. Let me know if anything doesn't appear to be working.
European Union aaryngend
Howdah
Clan: N3O

Post by aaryngend »

DoctorSulla wrote:I've uploaded the latest XML and set files now which it should hopefully pull in automatically. Let me know if anything doesn't appear to be working.
1) Are these 100% certain and up to date? Like do you parse the data from the correct values set ingame?
2) Couldn't you use a text string as an URL? IP adresses as URLs seem weird :lol: I take it that you hosted this privately?
No Flag Kanoo
Skirmisher

Post by Kanoo »

DoctorSulla wrote:I've uploaded the latest XML and set files now which it should hopefully pull in automatically. Let me know if anything doesn't appear to be working.
Thank you so much! Seems to be working well :)
thebritish wrote: