An exclusive look at upcoming DLC for AoE3:DE

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

An exclusive look at upcoming DLC for AoE3:DE

Post by EAGLEMUT »

Hello fellow ESOCians!

As you're probably aware, Microsoft has recently hinted at some new content coming to AoE3:DE. Well, today we've got something special for you, as we have been given exclusive information on what exactly the planned new DLC for AoE3:DE is, along an interview with the good folks at Forgotten Empires. And this DLC is probably not something you'd expect! As it turns out, Microsoft is aiming for another crossover with the Star Wars franchise.

First and foremost, fresh after AoE2DE's new expansion, we have some details to share about the new civilizations from this upcoming DLC, provided by game designer Titan Joker at Forgotten Empires.

TJ: Throughout the history of the Star Wars galaxy, star systems have united in order to become more powerful. These unions came in different forms; from simple alliances to galactic governments, whose territories could cover vast regions of space. Some of the most notorious powers in the galactic history were the Galactic Empire and the Alliance to Restore the Republic during the Galactic Civil War.

Both factions included in our new DLC, Galactic Conflict, have vastly different gameplay and playstyles, unlike anything you've seen in Age III before. The first faction we reveal today is the Galactic Empire:

From the ashes of the Old Republic, the New Order arises.
After spending years developing its military, the Empire began to conquer countless star systems and add them to their domain.
Ruled by the Emperor’s iron fist, enforced by his legions of Stormtroopers, the Empire knows no true rival to its might.

Homecity: Imperial Center, Coruscant
AI Personality: Darth Vader (boomer)
Bonus: Command Centers spawn Prefab Platforms
Strengths: Mechs, Map control
Weaknesses: Air units
Units: Stormtroopers, Snowtroopers, Imperial Commandos, Demolition Troopers, ATAT, ATST, ATAA, Imperial Personal Walker, Tie Fighter
Unique buildings: Airbase, Bunker, Storehouse, Vehicle Workshop, War Center

Interview with FE developers Titan Joker and @mandosrex

ESOC: Introducing the Star Wars universe into AoE3 will certainly come unexpected by the existing playerbase. What led you to this decision?

Mandos: We are always open to new ideas, and a Star Wars crossover is in fact not entirely foreign to the Age franchise. Some of you veterans may still remember Microsoft has cooperated with LucasArts before to create Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds on the Age II Genie engine. While a direct remaster of that game is currently not something being worked on, we're hoping that Star Wars fans will be excited about this fresh addition to Age III just as we are!

TJ: Bringing these two franchises closer together has been my dream for a very long time, and it is why I've joined Forgotten Empires to work on this ambitious project. I cannot tell you how excited I am to share all that we've done!
Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds, released in 2001
ESOC: Does this DLC not break the immersion of AoE3 being mainly about the colonization of America?

Mandos: Age III has always embraced a "what-if" philosophy and already features several factions which have not participated in the real world colonization. We are still committed to representing our real world cultures with historical accuracy according to their traditions, that has not changed.

TJ: We will also be introducing a way to optionally disable Star Wars content in both Singleplayer and Multiplayer matches, for those who do not wish to encounter it. What we definitely don't want is to alienate the existing userbase of the game.

ESOC: Will the newly added futuristic civilizations be properly balanced versus existing ones?

Mandos: It is not our intention for the newly added factions to overpower everything else. We will make sure to tune the balance of new content appropriately and later on we will invite experts from the community to help us through the Age Insider Program.

Galactic Conflict DLC for Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition
ESOC: Will the DLC include a Stars Wars themed campaign?

TJ: We are not yet ready to share the full details, but there will be a number of new Historical Battles themed around the DLC. More on that later.

ESOC: How will the DLC be priced?

Mandos: The price will be in line with the Lords of the West DLC for Age II. To reward the most dedicated fans, we will also offer a special discount bundle for existing owners of Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds on Steam.

ESOC: When will the DLC be released?

Mandos: We are saving that announcement (and more!) for the Fan Preview event on April 10th. Don't forget to join us on https://twitch.tv/xbox and find out!
Turkey glo1nn
Crossbow
ESO: gLo1NNAoE

Re: An exclusive look at upcoming DLC for AoE3:DE

Post by glo1nn »

Nice 1 April
:kinggreen: :kinggreen: :kinggreen:
Sweden Aussie_Drongo
Skirmisher
ESO: Darkalbino_

Post by Aussie_Drongo »

gief lightsaber
Great Britain WickedCossack
Retired Contributor

Post by WickedCossack »

The irony is this is an actual mod in development for a long long time now that I've been waiting for ... :sad: Not sure it will be ever be finished.
Germany blackout
Dragoon

Post by blackout »

Took me a few seconds
Great Britain thomasgreen6
Lancer
ESO: Thomasgreen6

Post by thomasgreen6 »

Why didn't you use the Star Wars game built by Ensemble? @EAGLEMUT
'I'm gonna win this and I'm just gonna enjoy it' - Tibia 2k18

http://www.Twitch.tv/thomasgreen6
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

ngl I would love to play an aoe3 star wars mod
France chronique
Advanced Player
ESO: poissondu44

Post by chronique »

Can justify a lot of issu, if your vill is trap in the tp, it's not a bug, it's the force!
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

glo1nn wrote:Nice 1 April
Oh. The timing is a bit unfortunate, but with the Fan Preview event being less than two weeks away, I guess we couldn't really wait much longer.
thomasgreen6 wrote:Why didn't you use the Star Wars game built by Ensemble? @EAGLEMUT
I imagine it wasn't used because it's built on a by-now highly outdated version of the AoE2 engine and no one wants to work with that. This way they can easily make beautiful 3D content on the existing "modernized" engine of AoE3 and sell it as DLC. Makes sense to me. Just look at those Walkers go!
Canada vividlyplain
Lancer
ESO: vividlyplain

Post by vividlyplain »

Squamiger wrote:ngl I would love to play an aoe3 star wars mod
you can
Netherlands dietschlander
Lancer

Post by dietschlander »

:dry: <--- did just actually did do that
Theres going to be a dam, the great dam and we'll let the beavers pay for it - Edeholland 2016
Anyway, nuancing isn't your forte, so I'll agree with you like I would with a 8 year old: violence is bad, don't do hard drugs and stay in school Benj98
Germany blackout
Dragoon

Post by blackout »

EAGLEMUT wrote: Mandos: We are always open to new ideas, and a Star Wars crossover is in fact not entirely foreign to the Age franchise. Some of you veterans may still remember Microsoft has cooperated with LucasArts before to create Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds on the Age II Genie engine. While a direct remaster of that game is currently not something being worked on, we're hoping that Star Wars fans will be excited about this fresh addition to Age III just as we are!
That was an absolute shit game by the way. It was like a ridiculous copy of aoe2 without any ambition or creativity
No Flag draztik
Skirmisher
ESO: DrAzTiK

Post by draztik »

standard April fool’s day imo
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

This is real.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

@EAGLEMUT Should have done something about Alt+D DLC imo
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Brazil look
Howdah
ESO: LoOk_tOm

Post by look »

2111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111 are u joking or what?
Kaiser sucks
Garja Noob
grunt the best
Kickass God
BSOP OP
Australia Peachrocks
Lancer
ESO: Peachrocks

Post by Peachrocks »

My patch notes where every civ gets a variant on house factories was better :hehe:

My concern was that if done the right way and based on the history of aoe3 de people would confuse genuine satire for actual notes.
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

This should have gone to a steam tech inspired star wars DLC
dd46846e994f49219065f31c8aeec0d7.jpg
United States of America occamslightsaber
Retired Contributor
ESO: L1BERTYPR1ME

Post by occamslightsaber »

Do revolting civs (rebel scums) get a multiplier against the Empire? Or would it be the other way around?
The scientific term for China creating free units is Mitoe-sis.

I intend all my puns.
China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

Post by fei123456 »

Not sure about AOE III, but the empire should lose to Tatars and Celts in AOE II as they have the high ground.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

blackout wrote:
EAGLEMUT wrote: Mandos: We are always open to new ideas, and a Star Wars crossover is in fact not entirely foreign to the Age franchise. Some of you veterans may still remember Microsoft has cooperated with LucasArts before to create Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds on the Age II Genie engine. While a direct remaster of that game is currently not something being worked on, we're hoping that Star Wars fans will be excited about this fresh addition to Age III just as we are!
That was an absolute shit game by the way. It was like a ridiculous copy of aoe2 without any ambition or creativity
slander, that was a great game. aoe2 engine with way more options
mad cuz bad