USA speculation thread

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Re: USA speculation thread

Post by duckzilla »

I think Germany was at least a thing over the entire time span and there was a (limited) number of German colonies.
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

duckzilla wrote:
RefluxSemantic wrote:
duckzilla wrote:Adding the US sounds rather ridiculous. Should it be added, I expect strong features for late-game. Gatling guns as unique artillery should be straight-forward. An improved colonial milita could also make sense, making the US more difficult to rush.
I dont understand, why would it be ridiculous?
I just have difficulties to properly locate the US in this "colonial" setting and think that it is ridiculous to add them. Additionally, the US was quite a late player in this whole area, being founded in what would be the early industrial era within the game. I cannot really see what kind of immersion is possible for the earlier stages of the game that is not already used for nations like France and Brits.
In AOE3 you build a colony. So even if the time period is the early industrial era, a colony still starts off as "primitive". So it shouldn't be strange to see low-tech France vs low-tech US.
last time i cryed was because i stood on Legoļ»æ
France chronique
Advanced Player
ESO: poissondu44

Post by chronique »

thomasgreen6 wrote:
chronique wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Also, USA began in ~1770, but that's an other story.
The USA is already in the game...
As a revolt, which is perfect.
Sweden Zutazuta
Howdah
zuta

Post by Zutazuta »

At a bare minimum we need a consulate type building called "McDonalds".
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

chronique wrote:
thomasgreen6 wrote:
Show hidden quotes
The USA is already in the game...
As a revolt, which is perfect.
This. I mean.... what else are revolts? Why not adding the other ones as proper civs as well?
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Norway oxaloacetate
Dragoon

Post by oxaloacetate »

Dolan wrote:
atiq629 wrote:
Dolan wrote:Their units will reflect vibrant diversity, nonbinary identities and women's struggle against oppression, and many of their vills will be overweight.
Do you have to bring your shitty politics to every single thread?
Well... where' the "colonial age" from the original AOE3?
Hope they name the civ "the 13 commerces"
We watched the tragedy unfold
We did as we were told
We bought and sold
It was the greatest show on earth
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

duckzilla wrote:I just have difficulties to properly locate the US in this "colonial" setting and think that it is ridiculous to add them. Additionally, the US was quite a late player in this whole area, being founded in what would be the early industrial era within the game. I cannot really see what kind of immersion is possible for the earlier stages of the game that is not already used for nations like France and Brits.
Well yeah, the USA wasn't much of a colonial power, since the whole country was a federation of colonies. While the original AOE3 was themed on "age of discovery" colonial empires. So this addition kinda breaks with that pattern.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

Dolan wrote:Well yeah, the USA wasn't much of a colonial power, since the whole country was a federation of colonies. While the original AOE3 was themed on "age of discovery" colonial empires. So this addition kinda breaks with that pattern.
Perhaps you can see its vast expansion to the west as colonizing. Same way in which people say that Russia colonized Siberia.
Also the original game includes Otto, which I don't believe was much of a colonial power.
last time i cryed was because i stood on Legoļ»æ
No Flag atiq629
Musketeer

Post by atiq629 »

Jaeger wrote:
Dolan wrote:Well yeah, the USA wasn't much of a colonial power, since the whole country was a federation of colonies. While the original AOE3 was themed on "age of discovery" colonial empires. So this addition kinda breaks with that pattern.
Perhaps you can see its vast expansion to the west as colonizing. Same way in which people say that Russia colonized Siberia.
Also the original game includes Otto, which I don't believe was much of a colonial power.
Theres 2 types of colonising. First we have settler colonialism like what the Brits did in the Americas. Secondaly is colonialism where you exploit the population , such as British India. Otto did the latter to the balkans and near east.
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

Dolan wrote:
duckzilla wrote:I just have difficulties to properly locate the US in this "colonial" setting and think that it is ridiculous to add them. Additionally, the US was quite a late player in this whole area, being founded in what would be the early industrial era within the game. I cannot really see what kind of immersion is possible for the earlier stages of the game that is not already used for nations like France and Brits.
Well yeah, the USA wasn't much of a colonial power, since the whole country was a federation of colonies. While the original AOE3 was themed on "age of discovery" colonial empires. So this addition kinda breaks with that pattern.
It doesn't really break any pattern since there is none. Besides DLC's already add colonized civs. The game is a historical mess. Germany should be Prussia, India, China, Japan, What? Which are these countries. The whole game itself is a historical mess.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
No Flag atiq629
Musketeer

Post by atiq629 »

princeofcarthage wrote:
Dolan wrote:
It doesn't really break any pattern since there is none. Besides DLC's already add colonized civs. The game is a historical mess. Germany should be Prussia, India, China, Japan, What? Which are these countries. The whole game itself is a historical mess.
India : Mughal empire
China : Qing Dynasty :
Germany should be Prussia , even old flag was prussian flag in legacy
Japan makes sense

Which of these do not make sense to you?
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

princeofcarthage wrote:It doesn't really break any pattern since there is none. Besides DLC's already add colonized civs. The game is a historical mess. Germany should be Prussia, India, China, Japan, What? Which are these countries. The whole game itself is a historical mess.
The game wasn't made to be a history book, it was made to gamify history.
Germany blackout
Dragoon

Post by blackout »

Who tf cares about historic accuracy in this game when u play china v inca or otto v lakota.
Main point is to bring new stuff to the game game and if its fun to play this discussion really doesnt make sense.

Ah and also @chronique nobody will believe that u quit the game until u make an overly dramatic good bye thread preferably anonymous
Great Britain I_HaRRiiSoN_I
Retired Contributor

Post by I_HaRRiiSoN_I »

we havent had stealth artillery yet :hmm:
France chronique
Advanced Player
ESO: poissondu44

Post by chronique »

blackout wrote:Ah and also @chronique nobody will believe that u quit the game until u make an overly dramatic good bye thread preferably anonymous
I am not Br :D
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

duckzilla wrote:I think Germany was at least a thing over the entire time span and there was a (limited) number of German colonies.
I dont know, feels like Germany wasn't much of a thing until later on in the time span of aoe3. And I don't see how having colonies is a requirement for being in aoe3, as we also have Sioux, Iroquois, Aztecs, Japanese, Chinese, Indians, Ottomans, Russia, Sweden and the Incas in the game, which is actually over half of the civs.

I feel like the USA still played a relevant role in this era and their inclusion can be justified. I don't see many candidates that I'd prefer over them to be honest.
Retired Contributor

Dolan wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:It doesn't really break any pattern since there is none. Besides DLC's already add colonized civs. The game is a historical mess. Germany should be Prussia, India, China, Japan, What? Which are these countries. The whole game itself is a historical mess.
Yeah so your point about breaking pattern is irrelevant.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

princeofcarthage wrote:
Dolan wrote:
I was answering my own objection. :ugeek:
Retired Contributor

Dolan wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Then why quote me. You are becoming weird like Ear and conspiracist like Howlingwolfpaw. I think you might be suffering from bipolar disorder. You change personalities according to season.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

princeofcarthage wrote:
Dolan wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Then why quote me.
By answering my own objection I also explained why your point about the game being a historical mess is irrelevant.
Retired Contributor

Dolan wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Then why quote me.
By answering my own objection I also explained why your point about the game being a historical mess is irrelevant.
My point about historical mess is a different one though than the one you mentioned about pattern.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

princeofcarthage wrote:
Dolan wrote:
Show hidden quotes
My point about historical mess is a different one though than the one you mentioned about pattern.
The point I made (on the USA not really having been a colonial power like the others) implicates the one about historical accuracy.
Later on, I came back with a different point that it's not history that matters, but the game.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Imagine having just 8 rebalanced euro civs on good maps. Shit I'd pay for that
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Retired Contributor

Dolan wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:
Show hidden quotes
The point I made (on the USA not really having been a colonial power like the others) implicates the one about historical accuracy.
Later on, I came back with a different point that it's not history that matters, but the game.
we are strictly talking about breaking pattern. Historical accuracy of the game has nothing to do with it. You made a point that vanilla game is made up of only colonial powers and so USA breaks pattern which is simply not true cuz strawberries and mangoes have non colonial civilizations. You could argue that Japan was also colonial power but that's the only exception considering Japan was the only colony which turned colonial.
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

Why are euros mad about united states civ? Its fucking based.
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums