USA speculation thread

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
Canada Warno
Dragoon
Donator 08
ESO: Warno

Re: USA speculation thread

Post by Warno »

Zutazuta wrote:Lotsa angry Eurodudes in here with the inclusion of the USA. If you want to piss off the Murcians, just add Canada as a civ; that’ll be spicy!
Don't make us march down there like we did in 1814!
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

Durokan wrote:The 13 colonies were the colonial variant of USA. Precedent is set for doing similar things like that with Germany in game. Germany wasn't a thing until 1871 and they're just using a bunch of stuff from Prussia until unification. So discovery and colonial is likely representative of the 13 colonies and industrial onwards is going to be USA proper (post 1776)

I don't see it being a huge deal tbh. There are plenty of large players in the game that don't fit in well time wise. Industrial age Aztecs? Yeah they were gone in the 1500s. The USA purchased the Louisiana purchase from Napoleon, so they're quite contemporary with the frenchies in the game currently. Unless you're imagining that it's realistic for Napoleon to be a power in the age of discovery (He was emperor in 1804).
This still does not convince me. The 13 colonies are already part of Brits (e.g. Virginia Company as hc shipment). Just repeating that "Germany wasn't a thing until 1871" does not make it more true. In contrast to the US-Americans, the Germans exist since at least 843AD. And that is how the game frames it. You don't play France, but the French. You don't play the UK, but the British. The USA and US-Americans popped up in 1776. It is the best example for a revolt. Why not just leave it like this?

You are certainly correct that the Aztecs do not make too much sense in a late-game setting. I dislike that they are around anyway. However, you can at least try to justify it with what-if scenarios. That's not the case for the US. The US did not exist. And there is no what-if scenario that could make them exist at an earlier point in time.

Napoleon does not play a role at all. You don't play Napoleon in this game. You play the French. Napoleon only appears as figurehead for "French ruler".

Don't get me wrong, of course devs can decide to add the US. And if you are happy with it, that's nice. Does not change that it sounds ridiculous to me, however.
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

the new civ is actually just livonia
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Sweden Zutazuta
Howdah
zuta

Post by Zutazuta »

Warno wrote:
Zutazuta wrote:Lotsa angry Eurodudes in here with the inclusion of the USA. If you want to piss off the Murcians, just add Canada as a civ; that’ll be spicy!
The maple syrup, overly apologetic behavior, and beavers are coming! Brace yourselves!
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

harcha wrote:the new civ is actually just livonia
Woud love it. Would also fit to colonial era.
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

duckzilla wrote:
Durokan wrote:The 13 colonies were the colonial variant of USA. Precedent is set for doing similar things like that with Germany in game. Germany wasn't a thing until 1871 and they're just using a bunch of stuff from Prussia until unification. So discovery and colonial is likely representative of the 13 colonies and industrial onwards is going to be USA proper (post 1776)

I don't see it being a huge deal tbh. There are plenty of large players in the game that don't fit in well time wise. Industrial age Aztecs? Yeah they were gone in the 1500s. The USA purchased the Louisiana purchase from Napoleon, so they're quite contemporary with the frenchies in the game currently. Unless you're imagining that it's realistic for Napoleon to be a power in the age of discovery (He was emperor in 1804).
This still does not convince me. The 13 colonies are already part of Brits (e.g. Virginia Company as hc shipment). Just repeating that "Germany wasn't a thing until 1871" does not make it more true. In contrast to the US-Americans, the Germans exist since at least 843AD. And that is how the game frames it. You don't play France, but the French. You don't play the UK, but the British. The USA and US-Americans popped up in 1776. It is the best example for a revolt. Why not just leave it like this?
Because the game's intention clearly isn't to have a good depiction of the civlizations. That's ultimately the big misconception here, aoe3 is not an immersive game. It's a game with a fun theme, that doesn't really set out to be immersive at all. A more immersive game would be something like EU4. The entire aoe series clearly doesn't set out to accurately depict history, but rather to create a fun RTS with a small historic theme. I don't understand how you can seriously think the game intends to depict history as accurately as possible.

This is also ultimately what makes your entire case against the USA arbitrary. Of course it's not an accurate depiction of history, just like pretty much every other aspect of the game. You talk about how Germany in principle did exist, but this still doesn't mean anything about the German civ is immersive. For the USA you complain that USA vs Brits would break immersion in age 1, but seeing Germany fight in the new world in the discovery age is also completely breaking immersion. Even seeing Dutch battle it out in age 1 breaks immersion. That's the arbitrary part of your case, you care about immersion but only when it suits your argument. You have to do so, because aoe3 isn't immersive and is clearly not intended to be immersive, so you have to nitpick the cases to which you want to apply your immersion argument.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

AOE3 is not supposed to be 100% historically exact, but that doesn't mean it can just introduce any imaginable civ, like Gypsies with skirms and heavy cannons.
Then it would become a game of historical fantasy.
The civs chosen to be part of the game need to be historically plausible to a significant degree.
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

There have been straight up bombards coming from saloons in this game for years. Why is history of any concern now.
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Saloons are supposed to have wildcard units. Mercs are hired guns, so this means anything could come out of a saloon, because it's imported from some foreign place.

They went to the saloon because it was that time again.
Canada Warno
Dragoon
Donator 08
ESO: Warno

Post by Warno »

Zutazuta wrote:
Warno wrote:
The maple syrup, overly apologetic behavior, and beavers are coming! Brace yourselves!
Ahaha very true, sorry for having to make you post the obvious!
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

Dolan wrote:Saloons are supposed to have wildcard units. Mercs are hired guns, so this means anything could come out of a saloon, because it's imported from some foreign place.

They went to the saloon because it was that time again.
That last part is based
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
No Flag Djigit
Howdah

Post by Djigit »

atiq629 wrote:
Djigit wrote:It's a shame Austria is so low on the pretext that it would be too similar to Germany.
Isn't the Germany flag in DE the same as the Habsburg monarchy flag?
It's the HRE banner, which included Austria. In that case, it would make little sense to have an Austrian civ. But at the same time, why the civ in the game is called Germany? :hmm:
No Flag Djigit
Howdah

Post by Djigit »

Dolan wrote:AOE3 is not supposed to be 100% historically exact, but that doesn't mean it can just introduce any imaginable civ, like Gypsies with skirms and heavy cannons.
The civs chosen to be part of the game need to be historically plausible to a significant degree.
I'd love to play the Gypsy civ. Mobile town centers and buildings, with units that have the ability to dismantle any artillery piece for extra coin, hedgehog-orchards :ohmy:
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Djigit wrote:
Dolan wrote:AOE3 is not supposed to be 100% historically exact, but that doesn't mean it can just introduce any imaginable civ, like Gypsies with skirms and heavy cannons.
I'd love to play the Gypsy civ. Mobile town centers and buildings, with units that have the ability to dismantle any artillery piece for extra coin, hedgehog-orchards :ohmy:
They could have some units who could walk into your base in stealth mode and you'd notice that you're losing coin.
Germany blackout
Dragoon

Post by blackout »

Dolan wrote:
Djigit wrote:I'd love to play the Gypsy civ. Mobile town centers and buildings, with units that have the ability to dismantle any artillery piece for extra coin, hedgehog-orchards :ohmy:
They could have some units who could walk into your base in stealth mode and you'd notice that you're losing coin.
Pretty racist ngl
Australia Peachrocks
Lancer
ESO: Peachrocks

Post by Peachrocks »

Djigit wrote: But at the same time, why the civ in the game is called Germany? :hmm:
Because to make something more identifiable to players is my guess. Stupid decision. Should have committed to Austria or Prussia.
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

Peachrocks wrote:
Djigit wrote: But at the same time, why the civ in the game is called Germany? :hmm:
Because to make something more identifiable to players is my guess. Stupid decision. Should have committed to Austria or Prussia.
Well, the civilization names in the game (until the United States, I guess) refer to peoples rather than nations--the game calls them the "Germans," rather than Germany--so in that sense it is broader than Austria or Prussia.
United States of America iCourt
Retired Contributor
ESO: iCourt

Post by iCourt »

Remind me again how mad you are about the inclusion of USA in a game that has you fighting the "Circle of Ossus" over the "Fountain of Youth" because it doesn't make sense historically?
No Flag helln00
Howdah
ESO: helln00

Post by helln00 »

Here is a very dumb idea but I think is viable.

What if for the US, instead of it being a full blown normal main civ, they just update the revolution so that they can still go for imp age up later? It makes it special part of the revolution but still reflects the full history of the US
Australia Peachrocks
Lancer
ESO: Peachrocks

Post by Peachrocks »

iCourt wrote:Remind me again how mad you are about the inclusion of USA in a game that has you fighting the "Circle of Ossus" over the "Fountain of Youth" because it doesn't make sense historically?
The non historical campaign was one of the sticky points of aoe3 and one of the reasons attributed to the difficulties it had. It also didn’t help that the story just wasn’t all that good. Remember that a significant amount of the player base plays only single player. So yeah that stuff matters.

I mean they really did write themselves into a corner trying to make the whole home city + explore the New world thing work. Historical campaigns for that would be rather difficult. Yes there’s a lot things in Europe but not much in the Americas until 7 years war since the Spanish conquests were covered in aoe2 and wouldn’t be all that interesting.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

blackout wrote:
Dolan wrote:
Djigit wrote:I'd love to play the Gypsy civ. Mobile town centers and buildings, with units that have the ability to dismantle any artillery piece for extra coin, hedgehog-orchards :ohmy:
Pretty racist ngl
Yea you can say that when you haven't lived most of your life next to a gypsy neighbourhood. It's always the ones who have zero experience with something that are keen on lecturing and glamorising a certain category, in the name of abstract and ideal principles.
Why don't you go live in a gypsy neighbourhood, then teach me more pls.
Germany blackout
Dragoon

Post by blackout »

Dolan wrote:Yea you can say that when you haven't lived most of your life next to a gypsy neighbourhood. It's always the ones who have zero experience with something that are keen on lecturing and glamorising a certain category, in the name of abstract and ideal principles.
Why don't you go live in a gypsy neighbourhood, then teach me more pls.
Well u abstract ur neighborhood onto all "gypsys" in a negative and offensive way. Thats racism.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Wtf do you think gypsies live on here? Teaching in colleges? Doing lab work?
They live on welfare and theft. They vote leftwing parties for the welfare and then go to Germany to pick some pockets.
It's just a sociological reality.
Netherlands don_artie
Dragoon
ESO: don artie

Post by don_artie »

Units with too high range that can kite for days and feel like shit to play against came up for USA when I did my spin on the OP wheel
France Le Hussard sur le toit
Howdah
ESO: LeHussardsurletoit

Post by Le Hussard sur le toit »

A special x3 multiplier for all their units against all natives and British units.
ESOC : came for the game, stayed for the drama.