USA speculation thread

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Re: USA speculation thread

Post by harcha »

Le Hussard sur le toit wrote:A special x3 multiplier for all their units against all natives and British units.
I like this idea, except the multi vs Brit units is visible, but multi vs nats is hidden (in the spirit of AOE3).
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

Televangelist as special unit replacing priests. Converts opponent villagers directly into 100 coin each.
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Surely the USA isn't that historically inaccurate since the game's time period includes the Industrial era during which the USA was actively expanding/conquering/genociding into the west while starting new colonies and founding new cities left and right. Perhaps - if it is going to be the USA - we'll see a Protoss-esque idea where the USA advances into tech quickly and has a small army of highly specialized units. It's also possible that the "USA" is just codename for a different civilization, so don't get too excited.
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

USA = Unkown State of Asia = Persia confirmed!!!

edit:
or is it: Utterly Suppressed Area = POLAND

Beati pauperes spiritu.
No Flag helln00
Howdah
ESO: helln00

Post by helln00 »

duckzilla wrote:USA = Unkown State of Asia = Persia confirmed!!!

edit:
or is it: Utterly Suppressed Area = POLAND
I was thinking United Soviet Anachronism to fit in the theme of not fitting in the theme of aoe 3
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

American Empire is just an extension of English Empire. You can basically conclude that seat of power has changed from London to Washington. Primary reason why today's world is such a mess. Anything that UK touches is burnt.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Retired Contributor

American Empire is just an extension of English Empire. You can basically conclude that seat of power has changed from London to Washington. Primary reason why today's world is such a mess. Anything that UK touches is burnt.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

iCourt wrote:Remind me again how mad you are about the inclusion of USA in a game that has you fighting the "Circle of Ossus" over the "Fountain of Youth" because it doesn't make sense historically?
Yeah but I hated the campaign too
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

I dont get how people so anal about historic accuracy ended up playing aoe and enjoying it.
Australia Peachrocks
Lancer
ESO: Peachrocks

Post by Peachrocks »

RefluxSemantic wrote:I dont get how people so anal about historic accuracy ended up playing aoe and enjoying it.
It’s not historical accuracy entirely. It’s the fact there are literally 20 plus better choices first, but they likely picked this one because it’s a lot easier putting them in the game then say Poland, Ethiopia or Morocco on voice work alone, never mind research for cards etc. I mean the rework Haudenosaunee and Lakota got two voices each, one male and one female, I mean seriously? I honestly doubt that’s all they could find. It just fits the usual narrative of this game ‘half assed’. On top of that rather than attempt to fix the numerous issues, they want to milk more money out of the players for DLC!? Since fixing things doesn’t get them any money. In any case if they charge for this it’s very rude and even if they don’t, the time could be better spent, but I will be stunned if they don’t charge, since they did recently for Sicily and Burgundy.

Almost nobody gives a damn about Haudenosaunee or Aztecs in Siberia for example. The historical thing is mostly an excuse and for lack of better word a feel or emotion against having the US in the game. This emotional thing does not make it invalid though because of what I just stated about there being at least 20 better choices.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

I don't think ppl have some antipathy for seeing USA in the game. For me, when I started playing Age of Empires (with Rise of Rome), what was cool about it was that I could lead a civilisation from the past.
What was a civilisation in the past, if not a dominant culture that started expanding and spreading their cultural model to other territories.
So I associate civilisation with the big past cultures, like the Sumerians, Egyptians, Greeks, Romans, medieval Germanic tribes, Byzantines, Aztecs, Olmecs, Spanish, French, etc.

I don't associate USA with a civilisation, like something new that you couldn't find somewhere else. They didn't invent new gunpowder units or artillery that was much different from other Europeans. They didn't have any new kind of architecture, they just borrowed from Europe. Most of the stuff that lay at the foundations of the US is borrowed from European culture, then it took a life of its own and turned into some colonial knock-off version that simulates the original.

You could say that politically the US adopted modern forms of government faster than Europe because it was in a better position to do that, it was a new country that rejected the authority of the British crown.
So they weren't so shackled by historical legacy like Europe was. But politics is not so much part of AOE, so not sure what would be so original about a US civ.
Sweden Zutazuta
Howdah
zuta

Post by Zutazuta »

Peachrocks wrote:
RefluxSemantic wrote:I dont get how people so anal about historic accuracy ended up playing aoe and enjoying it.
The historical thing is mostly an excuse and for lack of better word a feel or emotion against having the US in the game.
Unless you're a murican. Then you're stoked to get another chance to send the brits packing like its 1776!
Australia Peachrocks
Lancer
ESO: Peachrocks

Post by Peachrocks »

Zutazuta wrote:
Peachrocks wrote:
The historical thing is mostly an excuse and for lack of better word a feel or emotion against having the US in the game.
Unless you're a murican. Then you're stoked to get another chance to send the brits packing like its 1776!
You can already do this. It’s called revolting.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Revolting is forbidden in the USA now, it's only allowed in AOE3. :hmm:
United States of America iCourt
Retired Contributor
ESO: iCourt

Post by iCourt »

Peachrocks wrote:It’s not historical accuracy entirely. It’s the fact there are literally 20 plus better choices first.
Plz name all 20 better choices. Not saying you can't just want to see what you come up with.
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

iCourt wrote:
Peachrocks wrote:It’s not historical accuracy entirely. It’s the fact there are literally 20 plus better choices first.
Plz name all 20 better choices. Not saying you can't just want to see what you come up with.
Starting with this list is, we are already at 14.

Personally, I would add Hungary, Mali, Manchu/Ming, Mamluks, Scotland, and Wallachia (because OP impaling skills).

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

duckzilla wrote:
iCourt wrote:

Personally, I would add Hungary, Mali, Manchu/Ming, Mamluks, Scotland, and Wallachia (because OP impaling skills).
The voting % seems odd to me... but I have just been THC vaping, so I am most likely reading it wrong.
[Sith] - Baphomet
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

I will look at it again tomorrow.
[Sith] - Baphomet
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

Snuden wrote:
duckzilla wrote:
Show hidden quotes
The voting % seems odd to me... but I have just been THC vaping, so I am most likely reading it wrong.
Multiple choice was allowed.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Retired Contributor

I would like India to be renamed to Mughals or Maratha, or preferably both civs added.
Retired Contributor

Post by iCourt »

duckzilla wrote:
iCourt wrote:

But we now need 6 more without including USA. Keep going I believe in you all! Also are those actually all better?

I feel like some of those you could make mostly all the same arguments against them as you can against the USA being included.
Switzerland bobabu
Howdah

Post by bobabu »

Maybe Hawaii as a colony. Oh wait they never gave it back. Maybe Puerto Rico. Oh wait they never gave it back and took a nice crap on it.
Retired Contributor

Post by iCourt »

I will at least argue at least USA was too safe of a pick. I'd have argued Italy would have been too safe of a pick too. Did they confirm only 1 civ was being added? We sure that this DLC won't include 2-3 civs?

Would have been neat to see them go for an African civ maybe with some consulate options. I guess my points before were just to point out all the dumb arguments about historical accuracy and such in a fantasy video game very loosely based on history.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

I think USA is maybe in my top 3 together with Italy and Poland. I think historic impact is pretty important and I feel like it'd be easy to make the USA a really thematic civ. I kinda hope the game has a great USA civil war campaign.
Retired Contributor

RefluxSemantic wrote:I think USA is maybe in my top 3 together with Italy and Poland. I think historic impact is pretty important and I feel like it'd be easy to make the USA a really thematic civ. I kinda hope the game has a great USA civil war campaign.
play empire total war