long game

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
No Flag uberjz
Dragoon
ESO: WoodPusher

long game

Post by uberjz »

Attachments
long game.age3Yrec
(20.38 MiB) Downloaded 92 times
Siberia
Siberia
Rules: Supremacy (1v1)
Version: Definitive Edition 12.21704
3 hr game.PNG
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Re: long game

Post by Mitoe »

Damn, that beats my personal best at 2.5 hours.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

walls are definitely too weak
mad cuz bad
Great Britain TheNameDaniel
Advanced Player
Donator 01
ESO: danielek

Post by TheNameDaniel »

This post reminds me of this game
Attachments
screen77.jpg
Sweden Aussie_Drongo
Skirmisher
ESO: Darkalbino_

Post by Aussie_Drongo »

Genuinely don't understand why bastion walls are 5w each.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Ye at this stage of the meta with a decent number of player routinely using lot of walls, it just makes sense to nerf the bastion walls. 10w 5g sound about right.
Image Image Image
Australia Kawapasaka
ESOC Pro Team

Post by Kawapasaka »

Balance aside it's always been very ugly from a design POV that late-game meta is covering literally every available square inch of map space in walls. They could just have a build limit like outposts do, make it scale with map or w/e. Low priority aspect of the game right now though so doubt it gets any attention in the foreseeable future. I'd also be fine with pillar deletion getting "fixed" but not a huge deal.
No Flag _tank
Musketeer
ESO: _tank

Post by _tank »

I agree with wall nerfs, it has always felt unfun to play with or against wall spamming, which I think is the main reason it doesn't see more use since walls are very strong
-professional teamgame player
Australia Patrick20872
Skirmisher
ESO: Patrick20872

Post by Patrick20872 »

Agreed mr.kawap. Build limit to walls sounds like a good solution.
United States of America minimoult21
Dragoon
ESO: minimoult21

Post by minimoult21 »

Build limit would be a great answer. Maybe start it off low in age 2 and increase build limit in later stages of the game.
minimoult21 represents a relative unknown.
United States of America Kyo_
Crossbow
ESO: KyoKusanagi

Post by Kyo_ »

Nothing compared to Cosuco walls on Mongolia by 40 mins
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team
ESO: challenger_marco

Post by Challenger_Marco »

Well atleast you won @uberjz imagine playing that long to lose because of walls...could have played 3-4 games instead.
:nwc:
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

I like that this was a game between Russia (coming from north-west) vs. China (coming from south-east) in Siberia. Seems to make sense.

The thing about walling is that it transforms late-game into a kind of trench warfare where melee cavalry becomes far less relevant and anything long-ranged, especially artillery, gets increased importance. Additionally, the level of frustration I feel when I encounter an opponent, who walls off a significant part of the map with dozens of layers, might be similar to what ww1 generals felt who expected fast and deciding battles before christmas. All in all, this design might fit well.
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Australia JKProwler
Dragoon

Post by JKProwler »

Me after one of these long ass games
Attachments
images.jpeg-1.jpg
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Everyone makes walls in aoe2, I wonder with which logic and how you can draw conclusion about walls from a 3 hr game which is the case once a decade or so, that exactly proofs the bias and subjectivity towards walls.
Finland princeofkabul
Pro Player
NWC LAN Top 8EPL Reigning Champs
ESO: Princeofkabul

Post by princeofkabul »

deleted_user wrote:Everyone makes walls in aoe2, I wonder with which logic and how you can draw conclusion about walls from a 3 hr game which is the case once a decade or so, that exactly proofs the bias and subjectivity towards walls.
Walls in aoe 2 are made from 4th resource, stone. which you will run out of in a longer games, so you can't spam them. You can't even remotely compare aoe 2 walls to aoe 3 walls, c'mon...

Or how often have you seen in aoe 2 streams that people are building 10 layers of stone walls in aoe 3 fashion..?

You still have time to delete your post.
Chairman of Washed Up clan
Leader of the Shady Swedes
Team Manager of the Blockhouse Boomers
Germany blasdg
Dragoon

Post by blasdg »

Aoe2 is so completely different that I wonder all the time why people bring it up.

Early walls are pretty strong, in turn, everyone plays SimCity in the first 15 minutes of a game (no disrespect, just stating the obvious). Pros quickwall instead of walling the entire base, still confirms that walls are very strong.
Mid game walls, say you are playing on arena, are not so strong anymore because you can destroy them quite easily with age 3 siege or units with high overall dmg such as arambai.
Late game walls are almost useless because they get shred to pieces by siege instantly.

In Aoe2, walls are made from stone that is needed for castles way mpre than it is needed for walls.
In Aoe3 nobody cares whether wood runs out, so you are free to spam 5w bastion walls all over the map.

Summary:
In Aoe2, the later the game goes, the less of an impact walls have.
In Aoe3, the later the game goes, the more obnoxious walls become.
France flontier
Lancer
Intermediate Division Winner
ESO: Flontier
Clan: PLOP

Post by flontier »

Yea the game design is that much different that the walls have a totally different impact.

Your post and combined with the fact all the civs eco scales pretty much the same compared to the stupid disparity in aoe3.
In aoe2 you cant just make 4 layers of walls to avoid making units and outboom your opponents, no your opponent can do the same boom without the walls, not wasting ressources on it and so get in a better spot.
So you can counter too much walls with (almost) no walls thats simple and a good design. In aoe3 it help you to counter the skill gap with your opponent :roll:
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

princeofkabul wrote:
deleted_user wrote:Everyone makes walls in aoe2, I wonder with which logic and how you can draw conclusion about walls from a 3 hr game which is the case once a decade or so, that exactly proofs the bias and subjectivity towards walls.
Walls in aoe 2 are made from 4th resource, stone. which you will run out of in a longer games, so you can't spam them. You can't even remotely compare aoe 2 walls to aoe 3 walls, c'mon...

Or how often have you seen in aoe 2 streams that people are building 10 layers of stone walls in aoe 3 fashion..?

I hope you are aware that the thread is about 3hr game and there is actually demand to nerf even early game walls while it's not even relevant with the topic itself, also while wall LOS nerfed by %75 (From 4 to 1) and hp by %50 + bastion build time by -%50. C'mon

No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

blasdg wrote: Summary:
In Aoe2, the later the game goes, the less of an impact walls have.
In Aoe3, the later the game goes, the more obnoxious walls become.
It's because both players made significant mistakes to delay it to 3hr game I'm sure of it, normally you dont even get to the point where the game ends up in age5 in aoe3, that used to be something like only %3-%4 of the games based on the agecommunity stats or so, and in very late game of course you are going to make walls to protect your base, what else do you expect? don't make any walls and turn aoe3 into a raid game in late game or what? raids are already super rewarded in aoe3, anwyay it's getting ridiculous, out.
Finland princeofkabul
Pro Player
NWC LAN Top 8EPL Reigning Champs
ESO: Princeofkabul

Post by princeofkabul »

deleted_user wrote:
princeofkabul wrote:

Are you aware that the thread is about 3hr game and there is actually demand to nerf even early game walls while it's not even relevant with the topic itself, also while wall LOS nerfed by %75 (From 4 to 1) and hp by %50 + bastion build time by -%50. C'mon

Are you aware that the thread is about 3hr game
so?
there is actually demand to nerf even early game walls
where?

-50% build time is nothing, they were fastest built building for no real reason before. 5w for a wall is a joke.
and if the devs would implement smth like cost increase on bastion walls, it would be justified and directly aimed at the lategame. Not early game walling, as bastion comes in later on.

Still don't know why you'd compare aoe 2 and aoe 3 walling.
Chairman of Washed Up clan
Leader of the Shady Swedes
Team Manager of the Blockhouse Boomers
No Flag uberjz
Dragoon

Post by uberjz »

Some context: Russia went for a timing (14v ageup, 700c/5 cossack) while China ff'ed, taking some damage in the process but managing to stabilize. Afterwards, China had more mass but less eco. Constant fighting. Made a few scary pushes but could never quite end the game due to defenders advantage. There were no walls at all until about minute 40 or so, after which the game devolved into TR.
Germany AndiAOE
Skirmisher
ESO: mk8by8bcity

Post by AndiAOE »

why did blue give up btw? Game doesnt look over yet.
Increasing wall cost in treaty to 10 w 5 c each wouldnt actually change anything significant imo
No Flag uberjz
Dragoon

Post by uberjz »

it was 3am for him and 3pm for me so he had to sleep xD
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

Make wall cost dependent on distance to your original TC, thereby simulating the difficulties of projecting sufficient power to construct fortifications far away from the main centers of your civilization.
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.