Civilization Overview: The United States

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
Sweden Aussie_Drongo
Skirmisher
ESO: Darkalbino_

Civilization Overview: The United States

Post by Aussie_Drongo »

Hi guys (gender neutral and very friendly),

I figured you'd probably like the 15 part video series I just finished on the most recent addition to the definitive edition of Age Of Empires 3, the United States.

Not sure how balance is right now for the civ, feels a little bit on the weak side but I suspect that's because we've had only a few days to play with it. I suspect with a few more weeks, we'll find that magic build and she'll be "lame" in no time!

France iNcog
Ninja

Re: Civilization Overview: The United States

Post by iNcog »

God I'm so annoyed at the choice of this civilization over Italy or Ethiopia. Fuck the devs. Do I need to pay a crappy game dev tax to be able to play multiplayer again? This just complicates balance further. 2/10 move
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

iNcog wrote:God I'm so annoyed at the choice of this civilization over Italy or Ethiopia. Fuck the devs. Do I need to pay a crappy game dev tax to be able to play multiplayer again? This just complicates balance further. 2/10 move
african civ pack is coming sometime later this year :) btw you can unlock the US civ by completing 50 challenges
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

Cometk wrote:
iNcog wrote:God I'm so annoyed at the choice of this civilization over Italy or Ethiopia. Fuck the devs. Do I need to pay a crappy game dev tax to be able to play multiplayer again? This just complicates balance further. 2/10 move
african civ pack is coming sometime later this year :)
That's much more exciting to me than the USA pick. Is there are tl,dr of what's coming or? Haven't had time to wait around for streams.

Also I've been watching the civ overview made by aussie_number1. the mechanics are quite interesting but good god how is that going to end up being balanced? :/

Perhaps it is more interesting for me to keep the snark to myself for a second and see how it all pans out. I hope that my misgivings are completely misplaced
Garja wrote:
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

50 challenges lol
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Eurotrash we call ye
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Australia Peachrocks
Lancer
ESO: Peachrocks

Post by Peachrocks »

As I’ve said a lot considering that’s there’s three different bugs i see and have to negate every time I launch the game and there’s other bugs I’ve heard of that I don’t have but others do and they want us to pay for DLC rather then use their resources to fix the game? Very rude... and it’s only going to cause player numbers to drop... sigh...

I hear you on the balance too. After the farce that is Sweden’s balance and Incas design, I do not trust these guys at all. This whole thing just feels like ‘I want mah country in the game. MURCIA1111!!!’
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Looks sick, love it.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

Peachrocks wrote:
As I’ve said a lot considering that’s there’s three different bugs i see and have to negate every time I launch the game and there’s other bugs I’ve heard of that I don’t have but others do and they want us to pay for DLC rather then use their resources to fix the game? Very rude... and it’s only going to cause player numbers to drop... sigh...

I hear you on the balance too. After the farce that is Sweden’s balance and Incas design, I do not trust these guys at all. This whole thing just feels like ‘I want mah country in the game. MURCIA1111!!!’
I would also very much like to see an emphasis on bug fixing and proper UI/gameplay/features rather than another civ. I didn't want another civ. I wanted a good playerbase and a healthy community. I mean, maybe a new civ does indeed feed into that but I'm not entirely sure.

Edit: what is everyone thinking about in terms of the XP crates, age up politicians and the deck mechanics of the USA?
Garja wrote:
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

iNcog wrote:
Peachrocks wrote:

I would also very much like to see an emphasis on bug fixing and proper UI/gameplay/features rather than another civ. I didn't want another civ. I wanted a good playerbase and a healthy community. I mean, maybe a new civ does indeed feed into that but I'm not entirely sure.

Edit: what is everyone thinking about in terms of the XP crates, age up politicians and the deck mechanics of the USA?
I like that Pennsylvania is specifically part of the game now
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

iNcog wrote:what is everyone thinking about in terms of the XP crates, age up politicians and the deck mechanics of the USA?
XP crates sound somewhat unnecessary. You could give the XP directly. But whatever floats these guys' boats.

The age-up politician + deck mechanics allow for a multitude of strategies on the one hand and are quite confusing for any new players on the other hand. The variety of bonuses baffles me a bit. It sounds like they put every single idea anyone at Relic [whoever the developers currently are] ever had into this single civ. Does not need to be bad, but will surely be difficult to balance.

The unit mix available to US is precisely what I expected. Having pretty much all infantry with higher than usual range will also be difficult to balance.
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
France Le Hussard sur le toit
Howdah
ESO: LeHussardsurletoit

Post by Le Hussard sur le toit »

duckzilla wrote: It sounds like they put every single idea anyone at Relic ever had into this single civ. Does not need to be bad, but will surely be difficult to balance.
That was also the main problem with the TAD civs and even worse with Inca and Sweden, and that's what make them so difficult to balance - they have just too much content. And it's a bit of a waste as the mechanics they gave to Sweden for example (torps+mercs+leather cannons+charge caroleans) would have been enough to make at least two interesting civs.
ESOC : came for the game, stayed for the drama.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

PS. Relic is developing AoE4 - not 3.
Uzbekistan Timurid
Skirmisher
ESO: Trained Spahi

Post by Timurid »

exciting. hope they fix existing bugs and work on balance more now that we have new dlcs
Serbia ShinkuroYukinari
Dragoon
ESO: ShinkuroYukinari
Clan: BANIN

Post by ShinkuroYukinari »

I feel like the civ is pretty overloaded, anyone else? They can essentially do everything except rush, and even that could be a possibility thanks to quicker shipment obtaining.

Also those Sharpshooters look completely absurd once amped up.
My signature was removed, MOD ABUSE!
Uzbekistan Timurid
Skirmisher
ESO: Trained Spahi

Post by Timurid »

all will be forgiven for them white breeches.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

Well it's easier to take away existing content than adding new content with incoming patches. So they have the tools to nerf america if necessary, it's a matter of execution.

Personally I hate seeing units with higher range. Stuff like this becomes super abusive at the top of the ladder. We don't need another lacrosse civ or genitours civ. The way longbowmen currently are feels good to me though, at least for supremacy.
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

I don't want to sound pessimist but for real, who tough a ship with 80 range in fortress age was a good idea?

without playing a game, anyone with aoe experience can see that this is a huge problem, will be game defining, and will be the topic of many balance threads in foruns.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Civilization overview: clusterfuck
Image Image Image
No Flag Djigit
Howdah

Post by Djigit »

books lmao
They give you experience, but that's sort of counterintuitive, isn't it?

Love the Federal States age up system.
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger

Post by lemmings121 »

Aussie_Drongo wrote: Not sure how balance is right now for the civ, feels a little bit on the weak side [...]
you try so hard to make it seem balanced, right?

from what I've seen, its the most flexible, best eco, best water and best militar units civ. Sure looks a little bit on the weak side :hehe:
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

lemmings121 wrote:
Aussie_Drongo wrote: Not sure how balance is right now for the civ, feels a little bit on the weak side [...]

from what I've seen, its the most flexible, best eco, best water and best militar units civ. Sure looks a little bit on the weak side :hehe:
Out of curiosity, what's giving you the impression that they have the best eco or military?
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

The potential to get three factories sounds like an economcially strong civ. Without further knowledge it is difficult to say, but sharpshooters with higher range than usual skirms (if i got this right) and high dmg output sounds overpowered.
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

duckzilla wrote:The potential to get three factories sounds like an economcially strong civ. Without further knowledge it is difficult to say, but sharpshooters with higher range than usual skirms (if i got this right) and high dmg output sounds overpowered.
Factories still have a build limit of 2 according to interjection.
Mitoe wrote:Out of curiosity, what's giving you the impression that they have the best eco or military?
They do get 30 cards in imperial age, so lategame they might be quite op. Those militia/volunteer dudes looked pretty op on drongos stream, base 120 hp 5 speed (low range skirm types) but the amount of HP upgrades he got on them looked OP.
lemmings121 wrote:
I think he is just memeing same as he did for Sweden, always calling them balanced or underpowered.
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger

Post by lemmings121 »

Mitoe wrote:
lemmings121 wrote:

Out of curiosity, what's giving you the impression that they have the best eco or military?
watched a couple drongos videos, so for eco I saw a build ageing up at 4minutes with 13vills + bank + coin trickle + another card ready, while also having the potential to send those irish vills at any point, so if you are in a long colonial game at 15 minutes, you can send a 8vills shipment. you also have a 30 deck card, so you always have slots for more upgrades then anyone.

For militar, start with 21 range skirms (that can also be sent in colonial age, because why not), potentially a 6 veteran goon shipment in colonial age from what I understood, great musks, good cav, access to artilery, 11 speed ships that can build docks (?!), a 80 range ship in fortress age.. so just normal stuff right?

also, infinite minuteman that don't lose heath over time, so its cost effective to send it infinite times to be part of your army

and I only watched 2 videos! but in those I also saw a 4tp wagon shipment in age1 with free Iron house upgrade in colonial age to go with it...