The DE generation

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.

Are you enjoying DE direction?

Yes
51%
No
21%
Yes, but there are too many changes
10%
No, there are too many changes
5%
It's complicated (others)
12%

Total votes: 113

No Flag Cleters
Skirmisher
ESO: Cleters

Re: The DE generation

Post by Cleters »

On the last 40-50 games I played, there's only like 3 or 4 that was under 7 minutes waiting, in my elo range. So they can add whatever civ they want, if we can't play it doesn't matter.

The urgency to me is to rework the matchmaking system, it can't work in a tiny communiy like ours.
Germany Joe
Dragoon

Post by Joe »

Cleters wrote:On the last 40-50 games I played, there's only like 3 or 4 that was under 7 minutes waiting, in my elo range. So they can add whatever civ they want, if we can't play it doesn't matter.

The urgency to me is to rework the matchmaking system, it can't work in a tiny communiy like ours.
yeah that would be a very good call
Germany blasdg
Dragoon

Post by blasdg »

What can they do if nobody is playing the god damn game?
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Add a new civ and secretly fund a streamer to hype content.
Because obviously people will trust someone who is not from the corporation more than someone officially employed by it.
People will think: "Look it's a millennial/zoomer dude just like us and he's playing video games. Also RGB gaming setup omg. Subscribe, consume and see you guys in the chat".
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Kawapasaka wrote:It looks like they got together 50 people with a basic understanding of the game, did an hour-long brainstorming session and decided to pack every single proposed idea into the new civ. The term "over-designed" seems apt.
Interesting. I thought the civ itself looks pretty nice. Lots of fun mechanics and references to history. You could argue over-designed also applies to TAD civs and these civs are some of the most popular civs in the game.
No Flag Cleters
Skirmisher
ESO: Cleters

Post by Cleters »

blasdg wrote:What can they do if nobody is playing the god damn game?
Even if it wasn't competitiv, for team at least, the lobby system worked much better.

I mean, good luck having a game in team when you are in top 10-20 :

-> you only have a range of 50 players or something, as you search to top1 -> top60 approx.
-> they need to search at the exact same moment, you have 7 minutes to be matched :)
-> there's already some smurfs accounts, and it's of course blocking the ammount of players you can face....

-> I mean, just imagine. 9 players in the top 10 searching for a game :
a team of 2 search 2v2
a team of 3 search 3v3
a team of 4 search 4v4

Nobody will play. With lobbies we would just split players....

I don't know, I just don't think everyone stopped playing because of the balance only, but maybe am I wrong.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

RefluxSemantic wrote:
Kawapasaka wrote:It looks like they got together 50 people with a basic understanding of the game, did an hour-long brainstorming session and decided to pack every single proposed idea into the new civ. The term "over-designed" seems apt.
Interesting. I thought the civ itself looks pretty nice. Lots of fun mechanics and references to history. You could argue over-designed also applies to TAD civs and these civs are some of the most popular civs in the game.
I agree with this 100%, I think one of the biggest failures in the expansions was not including new mechanics into the old civs. Like why don't euro civs have consulates to ally with native and asian civs?
mad cuz bad
Australia JKProwler
Dragoon

Post by JKProwler »

I'm personally happy with the US design. It's unique and it looks to be aligned to it's formation in that era.

In other words a lot of thought has been put into it and not just a brit civ reskinned with a building gathering mechanic.

Some ppl just love to complain
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

n0el wrote:
RefluxSemantic wrote:
I agree with this 100%, I think one of the biggest failures in the expansions was not including new mechanics into the old civs. Like why don't euro civs have consulates to ally with native and asian civs?
Religion should've been introduced as a consulate-esque mechanic for euro civs imo. But Im so casual nowadays that I just like the theme and new stuff.
Argentina Jets
Dragoon
ESO: SsJetstream
Clan: FPL

Post by Jets »

A sandard Euro civ has at least 2 bonuses, a civ bonus and a powerful unique unit

Brits: manors, grenadiers, musketeers and hussars(upgradable Heavy units)
French: cdb, native cards and cuirassiers(expensive heavy cav)
Dutch: banks, skirms and ryuters(quick, gold costing units)
Spain: shipments, lancers and rods(fast arriving army)

While TAD cigs have plenty of bonuses, one on top of another.

Jap: 2x cards, shrines, 2 explorers, daimyos, cherry orchards, Tori gates xp bonus, Shogunate's reduced cost & train time of military units, and the others wonder's bonuses. Ashigaru musketeers and yumi archers on top of the army. And don't forget the consulate mechanics.

There should be a more balanced roster. Not so many mechanics on the new content, and a tiny revision of old civs. And I know things work the way they are now, but there should be an easier approach that makes it easier for new players who don't want to dominate every civilization in the euro to jump to the TADs.
No Flag helln00
Howdah
ESO: helln00

Post by helln00 »

I dont think that is quite fair cause Euro civ have weird mechanics through church cards, advanced arsenal, factories, forts. Its just that most of it is concentrated in cards.

The problem then comes that most of the quirks aren't really use in normal games cause unit and resource shipments are just better most of the time in a normal game.

TAD civs have built in quirks and most of the time have to use their quirks to play and cant just be sending crates and the likes
France speedflyer
Dragoon
ESO: speedflyer

Post by speedflyer »

blasdg wrote:What can they do if nobody is playing the god damn game?
Nobody is playing the game ANYMORE , because they did total bullshit with it during those last 5 months. We could find good games on EP even tho we sometimes had to wait 20 mn + , now i always wait 7 mn 30 , or even more to get bad and sad games , where half the players i met call me cheater. Yesterday i played a game , i was afk for 3 mn because i was to busy watching stream while waiting to find noobs , i still managed to up before him , and my ally won 1v2 and got called cheater.

Before we could see who was online or not , and we knew if it was "worth" to wait or just play another game.
I hope Zoi and his team of faithful minions can stop demonizing people
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

can you guys go mke your own discord or forum and complain there? its so tiring
mad cuz bad
France speedflyer
Dragoon

Post by speedflyer »

n0el wrote:can you guys go mke your own discord or forum and complain there? its so tiring
Pathetic comment :D This website is all about giving his opinion

Seeing the business team , and the fact that you can't handle any critic about this game , i start to wonder if you get paid for saying that much bullshit.
No Flag uberjz
Dragoon
ESO: WoodPusher

Post by uberjz »

speedCRYer imo
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

speedflyer wrote:
n0el wrote:can you guys go mke your own discord or forum and complain there? its so tiring
Pathetic comment :D This website is all about giving his opinion

Seeing the business team , and the fact that you can't handle any critic about this game , i start to wonder if you get paid for saying that much bullshit.
giving your opinion once is fine, crying in every thread because your shit computer cant run the game or you are bad at it is just annoying spam.
mad cuz bad
France speedflyer
Dragoon

Post by speedflyer »

bahahaha you are hundred times lower then me :D think twice next time plz

i will give it even more then now that i know you cant handle it.

EDIT : ok , lets calm down , you're just lower then me.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

speedflyer wrote:bahahaha you are hundred times lower then me :D think twice next time plz

i will give it even more then now that i know you cant handle it.

EDIT : ok , lets calm down , you're just lower then me.
mad cause bad LMAO
France speedflyer
Dragoon

Post by speedflyer »

uberjz wrote:speedCRYer imo
Long time i didnt saw that , please give me more !!
No Flag szejkwr
Crossbow

Post by szejkwr »

#speedflyer You always play with friends like cleters, opti, redpif, perez, ezad, kevin, dave etc. So people from the top 20, if you want to play on the better ones, you have to play against each other, not just in one team. there aren't that many good players and it's too easy for you like me. in tad it was fun because there were 3v3 rdm rooms and we lived in teams. now most people play only with their friends via qs, not the lobby.
France speedflyer
Dragoon

Post by speedflyer »

szejkwr wrote:#speedflyer You always play with friends like cleters, opti, redpif, perez, ezad, kevin, dave etc. So people from the top 20, if you want to play on the better ones, you have to play against each other, not just in one team. there aren't that many good players and it's too easy for you like me. in tad it was fun because there were 3v3 rdm rooms and we lived in teams. now most people play only with their friends via qs, not the lobby.
Step 1 , why would i random Q ? to intentionally lose because i'm paired with a 1K4 against 2x 2k ? sorry but no

Step 2 , in all those name you only had 2 guys in my friend list , maybe "3" ... and i do play those others guys when we are lucky enough to find eachothers during those precious 7 mn of waiting. Also you seem to be confound "kévinitalien" and "kévindelasardine" since the first of those just rarely plays in team

Step 3 why would ppl play in lobby , thats not where the challenge is supposed to be. And even if i sometimes do it , you need to have everyone on your friend list , or ppl wont look for an hosted game.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

qs algorythm isn terrible to the point you always get matched with much higher ranked players. Most of times, especially at mid level you get paired with people around your elo. You can always stop the queue after like 4-5 min if you don't want to get matched with outlier elos.
I think atm such mechanism is necessary to grant some games. If playerbase gets bigger there should be some elo restriction
Image Image Image
France speedflyer
Dragoon

Post by speedflyer »

Garja wrote:qs algorythm isn terrible to the point you always get matched with much higher ranked players. Most of times, especially at mid level you get paired with people around your elo. You can always stop the queue after like 4-5 min if you don't want to get matched with outlier elos.
I think atm such mechanism is necessary to grant some games. If playerbase gets bigger there should be some elo restriction
yeah and then you wait for like 1h ? without even being sure someone will join...

I Would like to see you doing this , May you stream it for me plz ?
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

@Garja but you can still get pulled in a game where the other person waited 7:30
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
No Flag szejkwr
Crossbow

Post by szejkwr »

no one is forcing you to play 1.4k vs 2x2k. we just all know each other, some better some worse. I think it was fun in TAD where we played all rdm teams. now it is not and probably will not be. regarding kevin i meant kevinitalien and i played a few games against you so something is playing in the team