Impressions on USA

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Impressions on USA

Post by duckzilla »

So how are your first impressions on playing with or against the USA?

I had my first game against the USA yesterday, when I was playing a 3v3 on Mongolia with Japan/USA/France vs USA/USA/Brit. My team lost horribly. I did 100% yumi and was happy that none of our opponents did any cavalry units. However, their unit mix of pure infantry (+2 gatling guns at some point) seemed to overwhelm me in every single encounter. Towards the end, they began to add grenadiers, which I did not notice, and the game was basically over.

No idea what to do with this first experience. I'm definitely still confused regarding the various American infantry units, their purposes and their ranges. Don't know whether my choice of Yumi was clever.
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
United States of America KnArLoC
Crossbow
ESO: KnArLoC

Re: Impressions on USA

Post by KnArLoC »

America's infantry is pretty simple. They have a "trash" skirm unit with short range (state militia - think stretlets but better, faster, and more expensive), a musk unit (regular) with a little extra range, and a more standard skirm unit (sharpshooter) with a little extra range. Yumi + flaming arrow should do fine vs infantry + gatling guns if they have no cav. Not sure what happened were you and the enemy all the same elo? Matchmaking can be lopsided sometimes.

I would imagine japan would easily outboom USA in team games in mid-game but towards the late game America will overtake in eco.
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

Thanks for the info on their units. I can't see them myself, so that is much appreciated.

I really don't know what went wrong. Actually, my eco overtook them in late-game. Was too late though, my teammates were pretty much dead. I think flaming arrows would have made an important difference.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

Post by fei123456 »

The civ is a bit too complex, and it's hard to have an idea on how to play with it.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

I like it.
Great Britain InsectPoison
Lancer

Post by InsectPoison »

Apart from all the bugs i like it
No Flag Astaroth
Howdah

Post by Astaroth »

The civ design is kinda cool. Unique, not another eco house civ, fun combination of things the US is associated with: immigration, modern technology and patriotism (explorer flag etc).

The only thing I find slightly sad is the lack of unique buildings. But that makes sense for a euro civ closely linked with the Brits.
Germany InaLeto
Crossbow
ESO: InaLeto

Post by InaLeto »

Yepp, i did have some fun with that civ! The Civ-Design/mechanics is a lot better then the last two, atleast for me! But for now, i need always a pause when age up... xD
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team
ESO: challenger_marco

Post by Challenger_Marco »

Good design ,good approach ,I like how it has some WOL influence.In WOL the first two USA politician unlocks a unique unit along with a technology added in TC (Like ranged inf upgrade hp & attack) and the second half another unit ,so it was more about unit choices & how you want to play the game through unit compositions ,in DE it's card oriented it grants you 2 unique cards but no change in units.

Both DE & WOL grant something when aging up like 1 outpost wagon ,400w in wol etc .I like the design in WOL more because it has unique cards but not as good as DE cards.

Anyways I think picking politician to unlock specific cards like factory in age 3 might be bad especially because you don't wanna go with any other politician to miss that card,so players are only gonna opt for the same build ,i think they should make the deck 25/25 and make it unlock 1 card upon each age up granting upto 30/30 cards at the end with same design.

About gameplay,I think USA is very weak in age 2, it has nothing special, there is no upgrade for Regulars/Hussars to scale in age 2 ,so need a buff there.The age 3 & 4 is decent because there are cards and good shipments so ig it's fine as of now.The Anti-cav is not as strong as a dragoon i feel like it needs some buff also.
:nwc:
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Yeah much more interesting than making houses and training musks + art, or making houses, spamming infinite 600w and training the same 3 units every game. The civ has clear weaknesses and clear strengths and requires you to adapt. Probably has quite a few viable builds. And most importantly, it's not OP nor too easy to play.

I think their skirms will need a buff (starting with the animation...) and gatlings will need a nerf, to ensure the diversity of their fortress unit composition. Also maybe add some cav upgrade in there as well / buff their goons, as right now they just have shitty goons and the weakest huss in the game, unless I missed some upgrade somewhere.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Ye units are a bit akward, they all seem set on the weaker side on purpose. Sharpshooter starting animation isn't great but I think the unit does better vs longbows or yumis than regular skirms. It's also upgradable rather soon as there aren't many unit shipment to send anyway. Units seem fine overall just a bit overpriced. State militia is the only one which is probably a bit too good.
Image Image Image
Canada vividlyplain
Lancer
ESO: vividlyplain

Post by vividlyplain »

anyone tried out a water build with them? it seems like the meta is evolving around 3 cdb and bank start... would this still be preferred for a water play?
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

vividlyplain wrote:anyone tried out a water build with them? it seems like the meta is evolving around 3 cdb and bank start... would this still be preferred for a water play?
you mean the FRB? @kaister
mad cuz bad
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

vividlyplain wrote:anyone tried out a water build with them? it seems like the meta is evolving around 3 cdb and bank start... would this still be preferred for a water play?
They don't have a proper schooner card so water play is more like contesting water and eventually taking it for yourself with the cheaper fish boat/vill card. In that case, maybe 300w is the best option to take the tp line before adding docks etc. Bank still going to provide the gold for the warships tho.
Image Image Image
Suriname kaister
Lancer
ECL Reigning Champs
ESO: I Date My Cousin

Post by kaister »

n0el wrote:
you mean the FRB? @kaister
FBR is still indevelopment, stay tuned!
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

I'm very disspointed the devs ignored historical accuracy by not making the US extremely OP
Finland somp
Dragoon

Post by somp »

u mean muskets 3 speed because too many cheeseburgers?
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

Do USA have only one "royal guard" unit?
Image Image Image
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team
ESO: challenger_marco

Post by Challenger_Marco »

Really expected them to have Miners on the other hand ,and Regulars should get RG upgrade atleast.
:nwc:
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

How much do Regulars cost actually? Can only see other stats in the unit calculator.

Their fully upgraded stats look slightly worse than Imp. Red Coats with
337hp/55dmg vs 375hp/58dmg

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Challenger_Marco wrote:Really expected them to have Miners on the other hand ,and Regulars should get RG upgrade atleast.
Miners are basically grens
Serbia ShinkuroYukinari
Dragoon
ESO: ShinkuroYukinari
Clan: BANIN

Post by ShinkuroYukinari »

duckzilla wrote:How much do Regulars cost actually? Can only see other stats in the unit calculator.

However they keep the extra range, letting them muster more effective damage in large-scale fights
My signature was removed, MOD ABUSE!
Germany Joe
Dragoon

Post by Joe »

Garja wrote:Do USA have only one "royal guard" unit?
state militia - similar to stretlets but better, faster, and more expensive
No Flag helln00
Howdah
ESO: helln00

Post by helln00 »

ShinkuroYukinari wrote:
duckzilla wrote:How much do Regulars cost actually? Can only see other stats in the unit calculator.

However they keep the extra range, letting them muster more effective damage in large-scale fights
so they are tomahawks?
Germany blasdg
Dragoon

Post by blasdg »

Their stats in colonial are so bad though, they cost 60F 50C and have 1 more attack than a regular musk.