African Civ Design Expectations

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Re: African Civ Design Expectations

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Dolan wrote:
RefluxSemantic wrote:I love how ridiculous this conclusion is to a discussion where you claimed that fort didnt look like African infrastructure at all while it actually looked exactly like African infrastructure. Must be the leftist propaganda that allows people to look up facts or sth, coz obviously we all know Africans dont have a culture they just live in trees like their ancestors!!!
I think you misunderstood what was said in this thread. And just wrote this reply as a kneejerk reaction to being put on the spot by the "leftist" label.
Those forts and castles (from cultures in the Horn of Africa) were built under the influence of Middle Eastern and Asian cultures. You can look at those buildings and see elements from Indian forts or that typical blocky structure that you see a lot in the Middle East, which is based on a tradition that originated with the Mesopotamian ziggurat.
Im quite sure you literally claimdled that the castle didnt look like anything built by Africans and that they were trying to Europe-fy the African civs while it is literally a building that the Ethiopians built. But appreciate the display of mental gymnastics so that you can continue believing that African culture is inferior.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

RefluxSemantic wrote:
Dolan wrote:
RefluxSemantic wrote:I love how ridiculous this conclusion is to a discussion where you claimed that fort didnt look like African infrastructure at all while it actually looked exactly like African infrastructure. Must be the leftist propaganda that allows people to look up facts or sth, coz obviously we all know Africans dont have a culture they just live in trees like their ancestors!!!
I think you misunderstood what was said in this thread. And just wrote this reply as a kneejerk reaction to being put on the spot by the "leftist" label.
Those forts and castles (from cultures in the Horn of Africa) were built under the influence of Middle Eastern and Asian cultures. You can look at those buildings and see elements from Indian forts or that typical blocky structure that you see a lot in the Middle East, which is based on a tradition that originated with the Mesopotamian ziggurat.
Im quite sure you literally claimdled that the castle didnt look like anything built by Africans and that they were trying to Europe-fy the African civs while it is literally a building that the Ethiopians built. But appreciate the display of mental gymnastics so that you can continue believing that African culture is inferior.
Dude, either you're trying to bait me or you have reading comprehension issues. Where have I implied a culture is inferior because it didn't develop a local, native style of castles or forts? This is just your projection, I've never said anything like that. Don't read into what I write things that are based on your assumptions. Or else you end up accusing me of all sorts of things and assuming that if I support one type of position I must be whatever label makes sense in your culture.
Argentina Jotunir
Howdah

Post by Jotunir »

RefluxSemantic wrote:
Dolan wrote:
But he he never actually said "African culture is inferior"...
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Correct. Its my read on what Dolan actually believes :)
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

RefluxSemantic wrote:Correct. Its my read on what Dolan actually believes :)
Then if thats the case, I also believe Romanian culture is inferior to cultures which developed their own building traditions.
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

duckzilla wrote:I would like to see religion play a role for Ethiopia. But not just 100% coptic christianity. Rather something that reflects the frequent shifts of power between Muslim (e.g. Adal Sultanate) and Christian (e.g. what we call Ethiopia today) forces in the area. Another interesting thing could be the migration of the Oromo people into the region.
According to Richard Pankhurst, an Ethiopia historian, this migration is linked to the first incursions into inland Horn of Africa by Imam Ahmad ibn Ibrahim.[53] According to historian Marianne Bechhaus-Gerst, the migration was one of the consequences of fierce wars of attrition between Christian and Muslim armies in the Horn of Africa region in the 15th and 16th century which killed a lot of people and depopulated the regions near the Galla lands, but also probably a result of droughts in their traditional homelands. Further, they acquired horses and their gada system helped coordinate well equipped Oromo warriors who enabled fellow Oromos to advance and settle into newer regions starting in the 1520s. This expansion continued through the 17th century. sourcysource
Oromo Lancer would be a great new African merc unit